Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

northern

1992 yamaha timberwolf Electrical Issue

Just picked this up at a yard sale, runs and drives..color coded wires for battery were backwards, Meaning a red wire was used for negative and a black for positive....

Upon bringing it home decided to boost the battery and walked away giving it a small charge prior to starting it..came back to find battery slightly smoking and my Green light for power (neutral) was no longer lit up...Still starts when i pull start it with key on.

Turn key on and no starter spin up, no lights

Id like to get my Electric start working, What could be the problem, Where does one start.

Is it possible you put the charging leads on the wrong terminals on the battery ? Smoking battery and your explanation of what the bike is doing sounds like a battery either installed the wrong way or the charging clamps put on the wrong place.  

I would check your main fuse next to the starter solenoid.  If that’s ok I would start looking for burnt wires.  

Once I noticed the backward battery leads I would have corrected that situation ASAP and tried to figure out why! So look into that first and  go from there would be my take.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By dbconn55
      Hi guys I have a 2003 Arctic 250 4X4 it starts idles and runs great for about 10 min. then it spits and sputters and dies but it starts right up like nothing happened idles good till you give gas and it does it again let off the gas and it's idling great again this goes on for about 15 to 20 min. and then it takes off runs good all day like nothing was wrong.
      I cleaned the carburetor it looked like a new one inside found a little gunk in one orifice, new air filter no crimped lines air line to tank good I did put a meter on the battery idling it said 16.5 V that's high I think would a voltage regulator cause this?
      Suzuki shop wanted to sale me a stator for $556.00 but said it could be something else also thought I'd see what you guys say about it
      Thanks
    • By jim estes
      Got this terrapro recently. Has slight damage on left front fender-traight otherwise. Low hours-no smoke-runs excellent!! Finish mower comes with it. Mower has no issues. asking $1600. Always open to partia; trades. This is a neat machine that starts runs and drives very well!  If your interested shoot me a message  

• By w_r_e
      My scrap heap rescue '87 LT4WD has been running great until a couple days ago when the electric start started clicking instead of starting. Click is coming from the front so I got a new solenoid to try that (battery is showing 12.9 volts and is almost new so I doubt its battery). But like an idiot I pulled off the old wires without even noting what goes where.
      Now the battery cables I know, it lines up with the battery terminals. + on the right, ground on the  left if you're looking at the solenoid. But as for the the smaller wires that run to the starter switch, i have no clue. Help!
    • By StolenATV
      A dark SUV pulled off with my diamond trailer & can am Maverick 1000.
      I have video footage but can’t make out the full plate number . Please help me find my property. Thanks !
      The post Stolen Can AM Maverick 1000 by black SUV appeared first on Stolen 911.
      View the full article
    • By Rick Cruz
      I have a 110 ATV which started fine yesterday. Today I go to start it and it only starts with the throttle wide open and then runs at low RPM, Unit is getting spark. Would apprecate any help I could get. Unit is a Chinese ATV.
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Todd Barrett
      Hi all 
      I'm finding it rather difficult to find 10"x6" front rims. My question is will 12"x7" fit and will there be enough clarence when on full lock? 
    • By Kristpj
      I know this tooic has been addressed by many, I’ve looked through many forums and pages. I did not find anything like the problem i have.
      I have a 2007 Kingquad 450. I have a new fully charged battery. When i turn the key, the dash flashes and seems to struggle before getting fully lite. We can hear a small relay near the computer clicking, i think it is the fuel pump relay. When i turn off the engine kill switch and press the starting button relays click and all the power shuts off, i turn the key off, engine kill switch then start over, power is there. Atv will start with pull start, but not elextricly. if i try to use my winch, all power cuts and engine dies. 

Can anyone tell me what it may be? or has anyone fsced an issue like this before?
    • By Steve Westby
      i have an issue with my brakes.it seems every time i ride through water or mud and then the brakes began to freeze up.I was wondering if anyone has total change the brake system from drum to disk or a different drum set up?
    • By Zacharia Maisonneuve
      i have a 1993 timberwolf yamaha and the compression is good and lights work but for some reason the electricity is not going to the spark plug(s)! i got a friend to check it out and they said its no use but im not giving up! please help with this!
    • By Jackson Krueger
      I just rebuilt a Yamaha Timberwolf and after getting it back together there are 5 Philips bolts left over with a round head they are about an inch long and they are cleaner as if they go in the motor somewhere. Looked all over already and can’t find where they go only thing have yet to check is the stator as I don’t remember taking the bolts out of it any help would be appreciated greatly, thanks.