Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

MarkinAR

1998 Big Bear - Won't shift to neutral

So this 98 Big Bear is my new project.  While I'm waiting on a few parts to show up, I'm working on a few small things.  I can shift 1-5 just fine, no problem at all (keep in mind, this is not running yet so just manual shifting sitting still).  However, I can't shift from 1-neutral.  I can hold down on the foot shifter, rock it a bit, and it will disengage the clutch so i can push it around in neutral as long as I keep pushing down on the shifter.  However, it will not downshift to neutral and stay there.  I know BB's have had some shifting difficulties in the past, but before I dive into this, have any of you fine folks encountered the same issue?  I'm tempted to just adjust the linkage a bit since these have an external linkage, but thought I'd toss the question to the group and see if there are any common issues to look for.

Thanks guys...

I would hold off until you have it running and see what happens.  If that thing sat it could be just a matter of getting things moving in the gearbox.   

That was my original thought but the guy did tell me when he was still riding it he had issues getting it to reverse and then neutral. Sounds like things are just a bit out of adjustment. Should have parts in by the weekend to hear it run and then go from there. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.