Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Dra O

1999 suzuki king quad fuel pump/petcock/carb advice

I've not removed anything at this point - afraid i'll damage things w/out the right tool(s)

"When you say "downward from float" I assume you mean with the carb turned upside down"  -- I mean away from the float bowl toward the center of the carb

i'm not so sure about taking that piece out - the idling had improved per adjusting the air fuel screw - although I can see where the need would be to clean out the holes

Sounds like you've done your best to get it out but if it's that stuck you'd better leave it be. Normally they're not that bad to pull, that's why I wouldn't be surprised if there's corrosion involved.

I've worked on many King Quads over the years and this part often needs replacing. Once the needle wears into it enough, they will run rich and make the sparkplug get black. You will know if that's the case pretty quick.

There are small brushes that get inside that port to clean it. 
If you crack that carburetor body its over! 
It looks like you rotated the brass sleeve a little already.   

AUTOLA Carburetors Carbon Dirt Jet Remove Cleaner, 13 Cleaning Wires Set + 10 Cleaning Needles + 5 Nylon Brushes Tool Kit for Welder Carb Chainsaw Spray Guns Torch Tips Firing Hole Stove Burner Holes https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D8LZ2PG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_9O89DbEV5TQ90

Good eye Frank! It looks like it's twisted alright....screwing the main jet back in will hopefully get in back in alignment.

yessir - post w/ pics from 22 hours ago show it in the same position - I tapped it LIGHTLY once, fearing i'd break the housing - and haven't tapped it since - and it was tapped straight down, not at an angle as to rotate the piece - it always had that little gap as far as I can remember - looks like it needs to be rotated just a hair but i'm not doing it - it's not moving around any

i'm letting it stay the way it is

Agreed not to keep messing with it but just have to hope that its not allowing any fuel or vacuum issues if that alignment issue now created a gap of any kind. 

here we go: I put the main screw back in and tightened it down to SNUG - then put a bit more bite on screwing it in and it moved an extra 16th of an inch, likely seating it back into the original position w/out any gaps.  I can't see this happen but can feel it.  As I take the screw back out, it "gives" a bit and then loosens out without issues.  I'm SURE that's it - it seats once fully in. 

Yes it most likely did and leave it be !! 
I'm confident that Mr. Gold jet has cleaned all parts of the carburetor and shes ready to roll. Double check your float level, slap that puppy back together and fire this thing up! 
Where are you going to set the air/fuel screw at ?

I am CONFIDENT that extra little push sets everything back in alignment - it HAS to be. 

going with between 2 and 2 1/4 for now - trying to fashion a tool to let me adjust air/fuel screw while carb is mounted

here's a pic of float - at rest see the top line - blowing into fuel pipe it only comes up to the second mark - looks like i'm way off

will adjust and repost pic in a few

IMG_1965.JPG

unsure if these pics help

the tab wasn't this low when I got it, I do remember this - but the air stops once float reaches second line

you mentioned 3/4 - the body of the floats themselves (black plastic pieces) are hitting the float bowl and won't advance further

IMG_1967.JPG

IMG_1968.JPG

will do.  y'all go help some other folks - you've spent waaaaay too much time w/ me today.  I was off today and am off tomorrow.  i'll get carb back on soon and try to shoot short video of it running.

24k gold carb man :D

• Like 1

I told myself not to get back online but I had to.  I am weak.

Got carb back on  - runs great - video unable to upload (and it was < 90mb) - still stalling when pressing in throttle. 

back to work next three days.

What about when you slowly accelerate?

I had  this problem on my Mojave but i put the two jets in the wrong spots since they are threaded the same.  (Pilot and main). 
I don't think yours are  and by the looks of the way you took it apart and numbered the jets on the cardboard  i don't think its your case. 
This is usually a problem that happens when fuel is restricted making it into the main jet as you accelerate. 

I can press as light as a feather or as slow as molasses on the throttle and after about 1/4 of the way in it still bogs down. 

Unsure if  this is indicative of anything: when I start the machine (cold engine), it turns over and idles and I can push the throttle all the way and it doesn't bog.

once the engine runs for about a minute, the bogging begins.

is there something metal expanding after the engine warms up that might be affixed to an internal carb piece (ie valve) that might cause the issue?  

the 89mb video won't upload

Put the choke at half way after its warmed up OR try and cover of the intake on the carburetor halfway with your hand and see how it throttles up. 
If it revs with a little restriction of air then its obvious that there is a fuel shortage happening someplace within. By creating an air restriction allows for a better fuel mix and that allows the engine to rev.   

Are you 100% sure all the jets are back where they belong ? 

Also is there a good flow of fuel from the tank? No blocked fuel lines or petcock on the tank? 

Brings me  back to  blaming a possible plugging of those tiny  holes in the main  jet  tube. They're about the  only thing not  cleaned or adjusted .

you are correct.  but i'm unsure how to remove the thing w/out shattering something!  I've no experience working on ATVs but trust the expert's advice.... 

I was looking down through the main jet - i saw the holes but, obviously, couldn't tell if they were plugged.

I'm pretty certain it didn't bog down when i got it. 

the only thing I've done is add a fuel filter - now, DO NOT LAUGH if the thing is on incorrectly - it may not matter - but i attached a pic.  yes, the hose is too long but i had it on there just to get things going - i can shorten the lighter colored hose at any time.  but it's got tight seals on both sides - even at fuel pump - no leaking of gas in these areas.  but is it faced the right direction?  would this even matter?  it took a few cranks to fill up with gas when i put it on after rebuilding fuel pump but has remained full since.

AND - after the first carb rebuild, there was a FEW drops of gas from the petcock - this has not returned after subsequent carb rebuilds and starts.  the petcock turn switch is TIGHT as can be but i'm able to go from prime to run to reserve.

IMG_1972.JPG