Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Tim Orr

94 Polaris 300 4x4 new battery just a click

Installed new battery was told that’s what was wrong when hit start button I hear 1 click then nothing?  Can the battery just not have enough amps to crank the starter the first time ? I trickle charged it overnight thought it was enough!

Probably not the battery, it’s either a bad starter/brushes or a starter relay. Easy test is to jump the two wires on the starter solenoid and see if the starter cranks. The wires are the two larger ones  with the nuts holding them on the solenoid. 
 ONLY DO THIS FOR A SECOND! If the engine does not crank then the starter need to be replaced.  

Start  by  jumpering  directly  from the  battery  to the starter momentarily  to see if it  spins over.  Give the starter a rap  if it  does not  most likely the  brushes in the starter  are  bad .  If you have a meter  check  to see if when  you  press the start button  voltage goes to the starter.   Try  rapping on the starter  while holding the start button. If you  have no  power to the  positive on the starter  the problem  could be   in several  places . Start at the battery . Does it  show 12v or a bit  more ?..  Next make sure battery terminals are clean  and tight ..  Check  battery  ground cable  to  make sure  is  has good contact to the frame check  starter solenoid .. Do  you  have  battery  voltage to  it ? Check  output  from  the solenoid. If no  voltage there the relay  may be  bad. Power  on the  output  then  check  wire to the starter for  a break  somewhere .In all  this  I am  assuming the click you  hear  is the starter solenoid pulling in .  If there is  no  power to the solenoid the problem  could be  simply  the quad is in gear  and the safety switch stops  power to the  starter ..

Edited by davefrombc

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By bradleyheathhays
      So this '02 Taurus with only 87k miles on her starts right up every time multiple times a day except for twice in the last 3 weeks. The first time was 3 weeks ago and the second was today. It happened the same both times. Turn the key and stop to let the pump prime, then when I turn to the start position the engine turns real slow and sort of in fits. Usually when a battery is low the engine turns slow but in rhythm. During my 2 starts the engine barely seemed to turn and the crankshaft rpm seemed to vary. On both starting events I let off the key and tried to start 2-3 times with rests in between. But then eventually on the 4th try it starts right up just as quickly as a normal start.

I have No clue as to what might be causing this. Only thing I know to do is, next time it does this to put a voltage meter on the battery to see if it's weak. Actually though, because both events the engine ended up starting up like normal that would indicate something other than the batt. Electrically this car is a little odd though. The interior light never comes on when the doors are opened, for years, and then last week it comes on twice when one of the rear doors is opened.
    • By Kaj Colum
      Pushing the start button the engine turns and will forever without starting. But if I use the kick start it will start with one or two kicks everytime, any idea as to what is going on. New good battery and coil, I'm ready to try anything. It's a great bike, but this is getting anoying. Thank you.
    • By Kaj Colum
      Have a Bayou 400. sometimes when I press the start button i hear the solenoid click but the starter does not engage. Here is the strange thing though, when that happens if I kick the kick start just once then press the start button starter engages normally. Any ideas?

• By bradleyheathhays
      Last time I installed a remote start system it was on an old Dynasty whose wiring was too delicate to work on really. A couple weeks after installation it started ok but a ton of white smoke came from under the dash. I uninstalled the entire system and everything was fine after that.

So in picking out a starter for this '02 Taurus I want something simple that will work with this car well. The start systems I'm seeing are generally designed to do door locking and unlocking, trunk release, etc. As this car already has those functions on a fob I won't be using any function on any future remote start system other than the remote start.

Can anyone with knowledge of my car recommend a decent but low cost / low extra functions start system that would work well with my Taurus?

Thanks

• By Elijah Stone
      Hi all new to the forum I have a Yamaha Moto 4 champ (100cc?) (YFM100) so I've been trying to get this thing to start for awhile honestly I'm running out of ideas so I'll start with the things Ive replaced and done first it was not trying at all and then I put a brand new battery then the terminals broke so I bought some nice copper ones fixed that up so now battery is got good voltage and all that I have checked all the plugs cleaned everything off so anyway it still wasn't trying but I couldn't get the crank case off and I didn't think using fire was a good idea lol so I busted the crank case off on the left side(if you are sitting on it) wierdly enough the flywheel started spinning I thought it was odd but went with it then I replaced the spark plug still wasn't getting spark so I replaced the ignition coil then it was getting spark next the carburetor was really gross I cleaned it out still wasn't working so I in turn decided just to replace it with a new one so I did (PS I never figured out how the fuel lines hook up if someone wants to help with that to lol) also for good measure put a new air filter so then I pressing the button Everytime I replace something and nothing so then I think what if it's the stator so I have no idea what a good or bad stator looks like but me being to rough I broke the wires on the thing but still no changes the fly wheel spins gets compression (I think) getting spark from spark plug idk other tidbits that might be useful I don't have a clutch line so idk if that has something to do with it I do have the break zip tied in to bypass the safety feature also the throttle cable is in fact broken and I'm working on buying a new petcock for my gas tank because my current one is broke I have very limited money this is supposed to be a project before I go to school for welding and automotive tech so I don't have any money to get a mechanic lol but I'm pretty confident in my ability to do anything u suggest any suggestions are welcome I'll edit and submit pics
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Ajmboy
      With this cold snap, I noticed yesterday that the battery on my grizzly was a little weak. even clicked a few times before I got it to start. I'm thinking of picking up a batter tender/ trickle charger so was wondering what people use to keep their ATV battery charged up. I was looking at these on amazon. They both have good reviews.

or this one

Kind of like this one because if the accessory plug

• By JacobSlabach
      Got a 04 Sportsman 500 that wasnt running- owner said it needed a stater and a new battery.  It ran rough (been sitting out in the weather for a while).  A friend and I started by adding a new battery and it would start barely with the choke and his hand over the air-filter.  I decided to install the new battery in the holder on the side.  we had it on the rack because the old on was still in the bike.  I tried to be nifty by turning the battery to put the terminals in an easier spot to get to, but forgot to reverse the cables too.  In a sentence, I reversed the positive and negative on the battery like a dummy.  When we discovered my mistake and corrected it, we turned on the bike, but the display did not light up and the key did not turn on the starter.  jumping the solenoid worked the starter, so we thought the solenoid just burned up when I reversed the pos and neg...  new solenoid and no difference.  what have I burned up?  Also, the shifter does not seem to do anything in the trans.  it slides back and forth like its stripped in the trans.  any help would be appreciated!!
      I think the biggest issue right now is the electrical.
    • By johncb
      The battery box on my machine kind of fell apart and I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else and what they did to rebuild the box.
    • By Resurgence Small Engine Inc.
      Diagnostics - Bad Voltage Regulator (2007 Arctic Cat 700 EFI)
      In this video, Jonathan investigates a client's observation that he has had to replace the battery every 2 years on his 2007 Arctic Cat 700.
      Watch the video to follow Jonathan's diagnostic process.

Thanks for watching!
      Resurgence Small Engine Inc.
    • By Justin Johnson
      I have a 2010 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 when I turn the ignition key to the opposition the accessory still stays on and create a draw on the battery can anyone help