Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Yike,

I was chain harrowing my food plot with my 2018 Textron Alterra 500 ATV when a tree limb snaked between my left drive shaft and the steering arm passed through the machine and extended out the back about 6 feet before I could stop. The large end snaped and burried itself in the ground. I carry emergence tools and used a hand chain saw to cut it in several pieces and removed the pole. The grease seals are shreeded, which looked like the only damage, however, when I started the machine the shift lever had been bent or moved. nutural is now reverse, forward is nutral and low is high forward.

All that to ask, can I just pull the lever back or how to fix. Its hunting season so I do not want down time until Jamuary. If this is a big job can I run without damaging the transmission.

I will fassion a temp boot seal.

So what do I do

Jim

• Sad 1

Wow that sounds scary, by the topic it sounded like YOU got impaled!!! 

The lever/shifter prob just got bent. It should run fine with it bent. Juts make sure there is nothing blocking the shifter so it goes completely into the gear you want. That is the hand shifter on the left side by the fender correct ?

When your ready to repair it then remove it from the machine and heat it up and bend it back to where it was. If your not sure what it looked like before it was bent then look the part up and it will give you an idea of what it looked like.  You can also buy another shifter just to be safe.  

• Like 1

Thanks Frank I was at our hunting lease this morning and took a look at the machine. As you said the shift linkage was bent. Tracking through the gears I could see it was only about a 1/8” from locking took it off and after several small adjustments it dropped into place. Thanks. Now to replace the boot

jim

• Like 1

Good stuff brother. Nice work, try and stay away from them branches. 
Ride safe and good luck hunting this year. Be sure to post some pics.  

On 11/12/2019 at 2:53 PM, jimbo1944 said:

Thanks Frank I was at our hunting lease this morning and took a look at the machine. As you said the shift linkage was bent. Tracking through the gears I could see it was only about a 1/8” from locking took it off and after several small adjustments it dropped into place. Thanks. Now to replace the boot

jim

You lucked out! Nice!

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.