Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

bradleyheathhays

Which brand starter?

I'm outfitting my middle aged '02 Taurus with a new starter and need some advice on what brand starter to get. I'm tempted to get this reman Motorcraft, the fourth one down in the orange remanufactured section.

CLICK HERE

For $123 that seems reasonable for a OE reman. If not this one I'll probably be going for a reman of another brand so why not go OE?

The other reman options I'm seeing at the car stores are...
Napa brand
Bosch
Denso
Driveworks at Advance
Carquest
Duralast
Valucraft
Ultima
Bestest

Should I go with the Motorcraft or one of these? $123 sounds almost too good although I really don't know.

Most likely  nearly all, if not all of those starter "brands" are actually  built  by  one manufacturer and just sold under the company  names.

You'd be amazed if you found out  how many   Ford , GM   and  Chrysler  are shared with one another  and  Japanese or Korean makes;  especially in  accessory parts  like starters , alternators and other electronics . Many driveline parts  are also  shared. I'd go with the least expensive starter offered.

• Like 1

@davefrombc I agree, there are only a few re-builders out there. In most cases you are getting new brushes, bearings, and sometimes new regulator if not external and solenoid. 

@bradleyheathhays I would go with one of the new choices from rockauto

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Michael France
      I have a Kawasaki Bayou 220 KLF220A and I cannot get it to start using the starter button. I have replaced the starter solenoid and the starter relay. I have followed the wiring diagram in the repair manual and it looks like the switch is working well, the neutral and reverse relay have power running through them and appear tp be working correctly. However, I can not find a wire runnng the the starter button that has power on it. Anybody have any idea what the break down is?
    • By Mudrecon
      If you're using a click n go 2 plow system how do you like them? Just installed one on a 500 King Quad along with a set of Commander XTR tracks and I'm lovin it

• By barracuda420
      Hi, I'm new to ATV/UTV's and am looking for any advice that would help to repair my 2018 Ranger 500.  I got it from an insurance auction and have never owned one before.
      It looks like it was sunk deep.  Found rocks and sand in the roof, milky oil in the air filter box, water in the fuse box, etc.
      So far, I've cleaned the air box out, vacuumed most of the rocks and sand, checked the engine, trans and diff casings for cracks/leaks.
      The battery would not charge while connected so I know there is some short somewhere...probably the wet fuse box.

I plan on drying out the fuse box and all connectors with a hairdryer tomorrow, check the fuses, remove/dry out the ECM and disassemble/clean the air intake.  Then install the battery and see if i can get it to key on and see what kind of lights I get.
      Need to know what to expect with the engine/trans...
      Thanks.

• By bradleyheathhays
      Damn, it took 30 years of driving to cause my first accident, and on Friday the damn 13th. Did a low speed rear end into the back of a lifted truck and got into it's trailer receiver. The only place it made contact with was at the very front center of the hood close to where it latches. Unfortunately the impact was enough that there's a longitudinal hump in the middle of the hood now, bowed 6 inches on each side above the quarter panels, which weren't involved at all thank God. Both my headlights are cracked at the top, but not because they got hit; I think it was because the hood and it's latch was pushed back during the collision possibly deforming the support structure, causing the to separate. The hood is lifted up about 3 inches above each headlight and when looking in at the support material just behind each headlight, one side shows cracks and the other cracks and about a 1/2 gap in the material. Can't tell but it may resemble fiberglass, not really sure? My best guess is that the whole front bumper is gonna have to come off and that entire front support piece be replaced. Any advice on how hard this can be? I do a lot of my own work but I really don't want to be getting into this especially with the weather getting so bad now.

When I go junkyard shopping for parts, what year Tauruses are compatible with my '02?
    • By Guy Churchward
      I have a 2016 Yamaha Kodiak and find myself with a start issue.. I changed the battery so it’s not that.. here’s a video of me trying and then boost starting.. can anyone give me pointers as to a starter motor issue or fuse or wiring or whatever ?.. I find myself without a vehicle with a tow hitch for the 1st time in years so have a dead and stranded ATV to fix !
      thanks in advance, suggestions welcome
      Guy

IMG_5952.mp4