Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Bronson Weddle

1999 250 bear tracker

I have a 1999 250 Yamaha bear tracker was told it needed a coil to run got into it to day found out that the kill switch was wired together then I found were they put a new cdi on it they cut all the plugs off the stator wires and the cdi wires I found bits and pieces of wireing diagrams blue pick up wire to red and white green wire to white and green wire rolled it over Had a test light on the coil wire it showed there was juice going to it but no spark on the plug and the coil is a brand new one put it on before trying to test the spark did I miss something or have something hooked up wrong already have plans on a new cdi and stator and pick up coil before I go that far like to hear it run. Thank you for the help in advance 

Hey @Bronson Weddle welcome to Quadcrazy. I know that bike well.  So it sounds  like someone hacked the  shit out of the harness. The cdi and parts that you ordered are they oem? The stator can be aftermarket but the cdi should be an oem. 
The plugs that are cut off were you able to correct that ? The new cdi needs plugs so how did the previous owner splice it in and also the same question for the stator ? 

Its hard to say if anything you did was wrong or not because the harness was so beat up. I will take  a look and see what i can find in my old diagrams to help you along but i would take the path of trying to get it back to the original state with the wiring and i mean locating new plugs etc.   Does it look  like the stator is original? If so you can do some quick testing to see if its good. 

I did a ohm check the pick up had 4.38 the black to green red to blue the stator did not put out nothing with just the key on then I cranked it still nothing am just going to replace the stator and the cdi Already have a new coil. And can tell me if a big bear rear brake assembly will on the bear tracker I have the brake part that the levers work the brake but don’t have the spacer or the hub I know some that has back assembly but it for a big bear or honda fourtrax but what I could tell it looks the same like what’s on the four wheeler. I let u know when I get into replaceing the stator and pickup and cdi. Thank you for answering me I can use all the help that I can 

When I got the quad they said they replaced the stator and coil but after further investigation it original 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Scott Sirr
      I need to figure out how to clean/fix or replace my neutral switch assembly On my 2008 Yamaha big bear 400 as generally the neutral light doesn’t come on when it is in neutral. To get it to come on I have to wiggle the foot shifter and hold it in just the right spot.
      I have googled it and can’t find much on the 400’s. I can’t find a service manual online and the parts manual is super vague.
      I think it is in the right side engine cover area, but not certain. 
       Any help would be great. thanks
      Scott
    • By oxidized_black
      Clymer ATV Manual - Yamaha Raptor 700R

• By Ajmboy
      Unfortunately I didn't notice some of the rust hitting the undercarriage of my 2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660, but saw it the other day when I was doing some maintenance, oil change, air filter, spark plug, etc. The left side footrest broke and that's causing the plastic to hit the front wheel. It broke right at the welds from too much rust. Looks to me like what I need is (looked this up on yamahapartshouse.com):
      YAMAHA FOOTREST BOARD 5KM-27481-10 Left side (broken)
      YAMAHA FOOTREST BOARD 5KM-27488-10-00 Right side (rusted and will probably break eventually)

Does anyone have a less expensive source? I did see on ebay a couple of listings but it still comes out to @ $50 each, 
    • By Jeff Comstock
      Ok, so I had no spark issues and foundy coil was bad. Bought a caltric coil, put it on and fired right up...for bout 20 minutes then it backfired once and again, no spark. I put it on my buddies 300 and it runs.  Checked my cdi the same thing, but still no spark. Now I got my old coil and  was ohming it and got reading of .01 on primary and 11.89 from POS to plug ( meter set on 20k ) new coil reads same primary but 12.83. what gives? It tests bad but runs my buddies 300, helllllllpppp
    • By Asen_77
      Hi All,
      My name is Asen and I am from Eastern Europe, Bulgaria. Riding a Yamaha Raptor 700R and this is my first Quad wanted for a vey long time :)

• Similar Tagged Content

• By Stacy Hanks
      I have  2000 Yamaha bear tracker 250 - igniton relay and starter relay both were replaced also the neutral switch indicator was replaced-- bike will not show light on for neutral or start when button is pushed

• By Patrick Canning
      So i have a yamaha bear tracker 250. Ice replaced the ignition coil, pickup coil, cdi box, spark plug, neutral safety switch and kill switch are good. Battery and ground are good. But still no spark. What now? Before i burn this thing down.
    • By Austin Phillips
      I have a yamaha beartracker 250 (yfm250) its not running right. starts fine mostly ...idles but if i give it gas it boggs out and dies before it even can carry its self ... I cleaned the carb ... put everything back and same issue. so i bought a new carb and intake boot.... replaced both things and still the issue persists.  So i have a new carb .... does the Air fuel mixture need to be set on the new carb? If so how do i do that? i ave looked everywhere for details on my bike and carb but cannot find anywhere that reads that the skrew needs to be adjusted out to  7 full turns or somthing to that effect..

The bike ran fine until bad gas was put into it... i did remove and empty the gas tank. removed petcock cleaned and rebuilt that.....
      i also noticed that the new carb ....the bottom skrew for draining the bowl was closed all the way when i got it.. carb wouldnt get gas until i loosened it... now the bowl will drain ... i thought that that float stops this from happeneing....am i wrong?

• By Steve1981
      View File 2001 Yamaha Bear Tracker Full Service Manual
      Figured I would share what I had. This really helped me out. Tinkering with my wife's atv now, so Looking for a 96 Polaris Xpress 300 service manual, preferably a free download.
      Submitter Steve1981 Submitted 09/29/2018 Category Yamaha ATV  
    • By Steve1981
      Figured I would share what I had. This really helped me out. Tinkering with my wife's atv now, so Looking for a 96 Polaris Xpress 300 service manual, preferably a free download.