Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

John Brucato

1988 Kawasaki Bayou 220 No Spark

Hi all new to the sight haven a problem with my 1988 kawasaki bayou 220 it ran then just died when out one day get gas but no spark any info will help I'm new to the ATV got it used and ran like a champ but don't know where to start when it comes to this

Edited by Ajmboy
Added issue to topic title

Welcome to QUADCRAZY! Does the starter crank fine, just no spark? Have you taken out the plug to test? How did you test for no spark?

Maybe do a little simple testing on the kill switch, ignition switch and  stator coil. Could be something  simple. First start at the kill switch by opening it up to make sure there is no water inside. Second wiggle the ignition key and see if that works, sometimes the contacts inside wear away a bit so wiggling may show spark hence a new ignition may be needed. If not lastly you have to do a test on the stator coil and ignition coils.  
All of the above testing needs to be done with a tester so of your somewhat familiar a tester it should be no problem.  

So when trying to start bike today I found a bunch of the wiring harness was burnt all together I called my local bike shop and just my luck they can't get me the wiring for it they can get everything else but that so my new problem is the wiring spent hrs up and down the net looking for a wire diagram with no luck so if some one can help me out with that this would be great

Well that's kinda good that at least you found the problem. Is it localized to one area that you can just cut out the bad stuff and splice in new ? In addition to that you have to also fond out why it happened in the first place.   
I have a few diagrams for that atv but there are a few different models.  What area of tye harness is burnt up ? Maybe post a few pics.

At this point I just wanna start off all fresh with the wire I started to test the wires and there is no point trying to Mickey mouse by cut and replace just go all new only thing I can still use is the connections

Its a 88 not 98 correct? Sorry to ask again but I was half asleep this am when i read this.  I agree with putting all new wiring in but if you cant find one then you have to make due.  There were other kawasaki atvs that the harnesses were the same. Maybe the lakota.   

Thank you I found that one too but it seems like it was beating hard and put away wet if I pay that much money it's not guaranteeing that that wiring harness is still good

Listen its a wire harness. Its not rocket science. Its dirty at worst. Plus the seller has a 100% positive reviews page.  

A spray can of contact cleaner on the plugs, fresh tape and dialectric grease on all plugs after its all re wrapped in tape and its a new harness.  As long as its not burnt up its fine and by the pics and the sellers history he knows what a burnt harness looks like. 
Even if you were to build your own and i have on many which worked great and felt great to actually build one but, the time spent (2 days minimum), effort and roughly about $50 bucks in material it would be cheaper to put the oem harness on.   Not trying to push this on you just trying to let you know I've been down the path before and what worked out the best.   

• Like 1

Hey guys it's been a while but trying to take a crack back at the wiring of my kawasaki bayou 220 just don't know what gauge wire I should be using I'm starting from scratch and don't wanna go to big bit don't wanna go to small with wiring as I don't wanna have to go through this again

All the harness repairs i do i use 14 gauge, if i was making a harness from scratch

i would probably use 12 gauge. I just redid a bayou 220 with melted wiring, missing

the starter relay, the ign relay mostly all wiring was gone was just left with 5 strands

of wire out of the main harness, Just get a diagram take your time. I used a sharpie 

to hi light the circuits i was working on, makes it a little easier. Good luck Az

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Trent Finnessey
      So I have a 2000 Honda 400ex, and it won’t start when it’s in gear obviously when I pull the clutch in..... it’s very annoying!! And idk if this is like a safety feature or something.....🤷‍♂️ If anyone know why this is lmk plz, thanks 
    • By Jeff Miller
      I'm trying to troubleshoot a starting issue. For a while, maybe a year sometimes I would hit the starter button and I'd hear a single loud click, but the starter wouldn't turn. Usually if I could pull the pull start or roll it in gear it would then start. (now I'm thinking that was coincidence) Now it only clicks. I tried to check what I could, battery is good, solenoid clicks strong, cleaned all connections (which were 80% clean anyway). I started thinking the starter wasn't spinning. I pulled it and it spins freely. The gear that it contacts in the engine-I can wiggle it maybe 1/16th to 1/8th inch back and forth. When I reinstall the starter I feel it jerk when I hit the button. I'm thinking maybe it's the starter clutch? It seems when there's a problem with them they usually just spin freely and don't engage at all. Is it possibly something is causing it to lock? I'm a bit lost now.
    • By Bryson Bailey
      Hey I have a Kawasaki buyou I put a new carburetor on it and a brand new spark plug coil and still firing up could you know what my problem is anyone please
    • By Arizona
      Back again with another headache, maybe you guys can help me out. 
      Picked up a 87 Bayou 300 not running of course, all stator wires melted 
      on the motor and also no spark. I checked the pick up coil ohmed out good. 
      traced the wires and led to no cdi box, yes missing. So ordered it and while waited 
      fixed the stator wires, had to wire direct to harness. Get the cdi installed and after a lot
      of other things started it up. Battery dead so used a batt charger to start it. Now when i shut
      off the charger the motor died. So i check charging voltage...nada. I see voltage regulator is 
      old and catalist leaking so i replaced it. Same thing no charge. I check stator and no voltage 
      with it unpluged from harness while running. Soooooo i replace stator. Now Stator wires have
      23v and up to over 50v at higher rpms. So i know its charging now. Connect everything back up and 
      no charge voltage at battery! Still dies when i shut off charger. All 3 yellow stator wires have good voltage, checked
      harness from stator to regulator and is good. The white wire has battery voltage at regulator, the brown wire has battery 
      voltage at regulator when key on. The Black/yellow stripe has good ground. I get 3 volts at battery when i shut off charger. 
      If i connect old regulator i get 7 volts when i shut off charger. Do i have a defective new regulator? Im stumped. when i 
      figure this one out i have a big wiring problem on another one ill let you in on.  Az
    • By vonda flynn
      I need help please. This is all new to myself & my husband. We have gotten 2 used fourwheelers so we can ride with our kids (kids have go carts). One of the 4wheelers is a 1998 Suzuki Quadrunner 500 4x4. It has rearend trouble. 
      We are having a difficult time finding new or used parts, & no luck with aftermarket parts. 
      Hoping someone here can help. We were told by Suzuki dealership that some Artic Cat parts will interchange, but he wasnt sure which ones & said there are companies that produce aftermarket parts, but wasn't any help there either. 
      Any help or information is greatly appreciated.... Thank you.

• Similar Tagged Content

• By tnhomestead
      Just was given a 220 bayou, turns over and was wired by a crazy mouse on drugs helped by a committee of politicians taking advice from lil green folk from Mars! This is going to be fun. Claimed the stator was bad. My other project is an old lakota, died driving with no spark and has sat for a bit due to building a house n life! In other words,I may need lots of advice!
    • By Brother Buddy Gardner
      Hello everyone! I recently purchased this quad for a mere 300.00 and it is pretty clean for the year. I bought it from a guy who bought it in a storage unit. He didn’t know anything about it. I got it home and noticed it did not have an ignition coil for the spark plug. I bought the ignition coil, a new battery, new CDI box, new starter relay, new safety neutral relay, new carb and so on... I got it to turn over, but when I pull the plug and check for spark I have nothing.. it has a non factory starter button that works when I push it and turns the engine over no matter if the key or stop switch is on or off..not sure what that’s all about, but it does turn over..just no spark at the plug. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    • By Tom Pavlak
      Hi Everyone - Need some help.
      Got a nice little 220...clean machine. wiring is a mess. I have a diagram however, the one I have has 4 wires coming from the ignition switch not 2 like mine. So, I cant trace wires properly.
      There is a white one that runs to the Solenoid, and a brown wire...from the Ignition...I dont know where its supposed to go. Also, on the Solenoid, there are 3 wires..W to ignition, B to start relay and B/Y runs up to the front of the machine...and is not plugged into anything...and there isnt a "Mate" missing it. How do they plug into the 4 open shovels by the 20A fuse?
      I'm pretty sure my Lights and start switch/Lights are correct.
      Problem I cant get anything...new battery...cant get the start button to work, cant get any power to the lights or switches...so I know something is not grounded or..
      Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
      Tom
    • By Michael Rogers
      Ok, another newbie post here. Checking this stuff out in issues with lost compression. Wondering if anyone can tell by the pics and video of the cam is good, and whether you can see anything visibly with the valves and timing gear.
      Any input would be a great help. Been researching  youtube videos, but just not sure.
      2000 Bayou 220
      Valves
      I could test the exhaust, it looked like it was opening, closing and seating ok, but not sure about the intake.
      Gear

CAM - looks like some wear on the outer ridges on both in spots, and one lobe to me looks kind of weird, but I don't know.

Thanks

• By Michael Rogers
      Well this is my first time tearing down an ATV. Have done a little work on 2 stroke's in the past, but not much. I'm needing some help. I've got a Bayou that has lost compression. I tested it, and it was like at 40psi. I had already set the timing on it, and it does have spark fuel, etc...
      My question is about the cylinder. To me it looks pretty toasted, but need some help in determining. It is a 2000 Kawasaki Bayou 220. I bought it not running, just to see if I can get it running so it has not ran since I bought it. This question is about the cylinder, and part 2 I have will be about the CAM.
      Any advice / help is greatly appreciated.
      Inside sleeve a line(left line) runs the length that I can feel with my fingernail. The line on the right I can't feel.

Some rust it looks like on these two pictures.

Thanks!