Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Skhot K

Bought my first new Quad! 2001 YFM400 Big Bear!

Hello! I picked up a YFM400 and I would love to talk shop with knowledgeable co-owners, and I'd love input about the machine from anyone here who clearly knows more than I do! Cheers from NY

Whats up @Skhot K welcome to Quadcrazy! Your going to find a ton of stuff here that will help you out and just shoot the shit! 2001 400, good bike.  What condition is it in? Running ? 

Sounds great! Just what I'm looking for! I've still got to give it a good look over but it fires right up cold here in 30° weather. I'm hoping to go through and change all the fluids to start, and anything else I find as I go along. It came with a beat up plow (which is my original intent of use), to manage a property, but my wife and I are looking forward to using it for the fun of the woods too! 

Posted (edited)

Looking forward to getting some time on it. I haven't had much of a chance to ride yet, but once I make sure at least the fluids are good and not leaking, I'll see what needs adjustment, if needed. Definitely some new tires, what are the best of the best these days? 

We are upstate NY in the Adirondacks, lots of fun, trails and mountains around here. 

Screenshot_20191228-224321.png

Screenshot_20191228-224313.png

Screenshot_20191228-224144.png

Edited by Skhot K

Holy cow i was going to look at that bike. Face book market in the kingston area he was asking $2000 correct ? That was  a good price for that bike, hopefully you got him down even lower ? 

Small freaking world.   
Adirondacks is real nice, big deer up there.   
I have a place in Cairo and we are up there a lot, riding,  hunting etc.  

Yeah! That's the one! No kidding.... 

I paid 1800...i figured the value of it plus a few add-ons, that was a fair deal, not to mention it runs. I'm glad you agree it was a good price. Well, it's in good hands. 

I drove 2 hrs south to pick it up so I didn't want to leave empty handed. I figured I'd make the deal. I didn't get any paperwork but I checked the VIN and it's not stolen, so I hope I can get a title and register without too much hassle. 

I would have paid the exact same price. I don't use facebook but my buddy sent it to me so i was actually going to reach out but I'm happy i didn't and more happier you have it and are now a member of Quadcrazy! So good luck and welcome aboard!

Im working on the same bike now also with a plow tyts going to a friend.  

Thank you! Glad to be here and will start browsing for forum. No doubt I'll have questions along the way! 

• Like 1

Thats great. Be sure to post some pics.  I try to get together with some members for a ride that are relatively close maybe in PA we go to lost trails but open to traveling so if you are interested in getting together check the forum calendar and also look into the NY riders group forum as well.      

I'll definitely spend the week cleaning up and take some more pics. I like it, I mean I've never owned a 4x4 before but all the sudden it feels like I'll really enjoy it. I'm an avid motorcyclist and have been for years, so this is just another thing to get passionate about. I think I would really enjoy meeting up with other local users! I'll keep a heads up with that. 

Had a productive day getting to know the Big Bear 400 a little better. I started with an oil change, and put in some Royal Purple Max-Cycle I had left over for my wife's older motorcycle. I read that would be OK as it caters to wet clutches. I'm planning on replacing the diff fluids front and back later this week, just because I'd feel better about it. 

I picked up some new ubolts and got the plow mid-mount fastened securely, the right side Bolts must have broken off, so it's properly secured now! I gave the back driveway a test plow and it will get the job done! Very pleased. 

The 4x4 is shifting good and running ok. I feel like I need to increase the idle speed a touch as it sounds like it wants to stall at idle after a minute or two. With a little throttle, it does start up good. 

New tires, first priority! Haha! 

• Like 1

Great work @Skhot K , thats the first thing i noticed when i looked at the bike was the tires. But thats a good first investment. Look on Amazon they have great deals. 
Happy to hear the bike runs great, its money well spent.  
Differential fluids 1000% change, they are often overlooked or forgotten about.  
Keep a log of what your doing and the fluids your changing, its good to keep track. 

• Like 1

I've been looking at the ITP Mudlite tires for replacement. They seem popular and highly rated so I think I'll go for that. There are cheaper tires on Amazon but I think I'd like to go with quality. As I mentioned we would like to hit the trails too so I think these tires are a good fit for the trail. 

I'll be changing the differential fluids hopefully today, and that will be it for the liquid changes. Hoping for some more snow up here soon so I can really put it through its paces. 

I have 3 bottles of Mobile 1 Synthetic 75w90 in the garage from a previous project too. 

What is everyone's choice for differential grease? By Gilbey, March 20, 2019 in General ATV Discussion 
Original Content From:

Fyi

• Like 1

Thank you @Frank Angerano...  I assume there is a specific reason for Amsoil and Lucas that is beyond my scope of knowledge. What are your thoughts on the recommendations of Amsoil or Lucas -vs- my readily available Mobile 1?

I just wanted you to see whats out there and informative purposes.  
Your oil should be perfect for what you are using it for. 

Ok cool! I really appreciate it, I definitely would want to put the most appropriate fluids in this machine, but knowing what I have already would be sufficient. I will switch to M1 for now but I will do my research for future oil changes, read reviews and get the facts! 

Posted (edited)

Sounds awesome! What kind of work needed to be done on your ATV? 

Edited by Skhot K

Its not mine it was one i bought and did a rebuild for a friend so he can have a quad with a plow. I did a little custom work as well. 
Same year and model as yours.  Check out the post it has all the info and a few few pics. Its on the main page under new project.   

Wow Frank, you are a gentleman. Good on you for helping your friend like that, and going above and beyond. Not to mention you really went to work on that 400 and it looks amazing! Great work, and inspiring... Come spring time I may have to keep up with your refinishing prowess and update our 400 a bit too! Well done!