Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Frank Angerano

My first Suzuki finally!!!!!!

Actually got the harness in and the carb rebuilt. No luck! Still backfiring and not getting past half throttle.  

Electrical is one of my strong subjects and was banking on the harness being the problem since it was in such burnt condition and a week ignition spark.  New harness installed and the spark was so much better so i thought bang im good. 
So anyway @quadnut20 im back to square one.   Going to check timing and go from there.  

58 minutes ago, Frank Angerano said:

Actually got the harness in and the carb rebuilt. No luck! Still backfiring and not getting past half throttle.  

Electrical is one of my strong subjects and was banking on the harness being the problem since it was in such burnt condition and a week ignition spark.  New harness installed and the spark was so much better so i thought bang im good. 
So anyway @quadnut20 im back to square one.   Going to check timing and go from there.  

Damm !! I hate chasing ghosts LOL Checking valves and timing also ? 

Yes thats my first order of business and top of the list.   Going down the list right after that, pick up coil and possibly a flywheel swap since this is happening only when rpms go up.   Starts right up and idles perfect.  

not going past half throttle?  did ya check the, um, choke? xD   

what a project, man!  those wires - good grief, that's literally freakin' neurosurgery right there - all hail to new harnesses!!

that thing is freakin' SWEET lookin, frank - you'll get it running - a little here, a little there - and we'll all learn something in the process

i'm going to look at a 1998 arctic cat 454 this saturday - talked about it before - I doubt it's salvageable and i'm not gonna get all crazy about it like the honda 250 - just looking - taking battery and plenty of tools - will post pictures soon

• Like 1

Thanks @Dra O, definitely going to get to the bottom of this one. And yes i have  checked the choke. 
Even if i put $1000 into it i can tell you i would still be way ahead. Its in perfect condition with a plow and winch.   As of right now total money spent on parts is $65 for a harness and $20 on a carb kit. Oh and about 10 hours of shop time!!! 
Good luck on the new find. Hopefully it works out and you can snag it for a good low price. I happen to love those year bikes.  
Be sure to post pics if you do wind up getting it.  

• Like 1

Thank you @James Mason.  I pretty much for the most part will always  find the problem and to be honest I'm a little excited that its giving me a hard time. I think for the most part the quads i find are more straight forward repairs and find myself doing more cosmetic/body work. Don't get me wrong i love all that stuff but a real problem for a change is something good and i think keeps us all sharp learning about new problems, especially for the next guy.  So we will see!  

A ton of very good reply's to this topic so a big shout out to our members that commented on this.  Keep em coming. Always grateful! 

• Like 2

Well timing is spot on so its on too the next thing!! The valves and head look brand new. This is a tough one!
Everything else tested good electrically. I may pull the flywheel and maybe replace it.

It could possibly be a bad cdi but im going to hold off until the last minute before i pull the trigger on that.  

94E43088-301B-49D2-9327-2DAF8327DAB1.jpeg

• Like 1

I’m thinking the CDI. Flywheel. Or maybe a bad carb. Why else would it be choppy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Carbon arcing with the spark plug maybe. KFZ has to have hit one of em. Checked rectifier output?

• Like 1

Yeah. I say carb because maybe a vacuum line in the carb has a small hole in it somewhere. I’ve had my Mojave’s and a few warriors that did this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I hear ya but i went through it all.  My last item im going to swap is the flywheel. After that its only leaving the cdi! 😳

I'll send you one of my cdi units to try if you like. Don't know if the KQ 300 is useful or not.

• Like 1

That's awesome and  would be very helpful and i would pay for shipping etc and get it right back to you.

Im going to get into it later on today and rule everything else out first. 

Here are a few pics of mine.  If it matches then we can arrange something. 

6B724F2E-D8CD-4FCE-8C7A-85808B0F985F.jpeg

58ED62DD-18A5-4CDE-8632-54DF5D4F9610.jpeg

A0CF371C-65D1-4508-858D-BD9070987B40.jpeg

Sorry we had a lazy snowy day on the farm, just saw your reply Frank. I've read that the regulator could be the culprit with your symptoms. Output above 15.5 v can cause the cdi to loose it. I've just about got the front fender off the lowest millage machine. Shouldn't be much to get the piece out for you. Unfortunately I'd not be able to say it's for sure good. 

• Like 1

I haven't really had time honestly since i put the new harness in and checked the timing.  I should get an hour or two in this afternoon. 

Without a factory service manual in front of me,  I'm just throwing this as an idea to a possible cause? or it could be some other related safety switch inline the ignition circuit harness.

Just curious if the your quad was equipped with some form of (ETC) Electronic Throttle Control switch, like a Polaris product would be equipped with. Or some form of 1? used by Suzuki. In the advent the throttle cable breaks or becomes stuck  or out of adjustment the ETC kicks in, Grounding the CDI BOX out.  I had this problem before on my 01 trailboss because the cable needed adjusted. normally it should of just killed the engine going from idle into "mid range" throttle. but the switch contacted ground intermittedly (causing backfiring) when it should of just killed the CDI box all together at mid range throttle if adjusted correctly.

Knowing you already checked the ,  1) In & Ex Valve clearances, 2)Spark Plug resistor cap (Rx Value), 3) Spark plug, even though new? got some out the box that were bad. Flywheel Key half sheared  due to the back firing, Flywheel Magnets (magnetic poles become unstable to be not useable). Even if a ignition coil tested good, seen them also cut-out when accelerated due to a internal crack inside the field windings which you can or cannot see. The Stator plate and alternator windings for shorts?  After the wiring harness being cooked, your lucky to have spark, depending how good of condition the CDI box and pick-up coil in the stator are? after the fire. Finding were the previous owner left off?, is real treat or sometimes a real headache.

• Like 1

All very good  points and have checked out all except the flywheel and the possibilities of the ignition coil being bad.  The flywheel and pick up coil is on my list. 

I managed to grab a used cdi from a reliable source for $50 bucks. Its on the way. 
The rev limiter was on the top of my list and i tore into it looking for one but there's nothing connected to the throttle to indicate that the engine would react on over throttle condition. Nothing on the handle bars going into the throttle either so unless it's electronically picked up through the cdi that its reving high then i would say no. But i am double checking the spec on that. 

As far as the burnt wires: I can't verify if the fire happened on the atv like something or someone caused the fire OR if there was a fore near the atv.  None of the wires were cooked from the inside like you would suspect.

Some really good points you hit on though and its great info! 
Thanks @northernmi