Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Frank Angerano

My first Suzuki finally!!!!!!

Frank

Just 1 last thought, you using an (analog ohm meter) instead of digital 1 for the (pick-up coil and stator & voltage regulator)  Engine Off tests.

I know on most older and some newer Honda's,  Kaw's, Suzuki's required a non digital meter for these types of test to get good solid reading measurement,

due to the sensitivity of some of the digital meters.   I'm Hoping the CDI box solves your problem, it will be interesting what your future posts will

reveal for the fix. Good luck!  

• Like 1

I actually use both and the readings  are spot on surprisingly. My father had every type of tester possible and i have very good digitals.  So yes thats all good there.  New cdi will be here tomorrow so we will see how that goes.  

Hello..just bought my first Suzuki quadrunner...got you beat in price but yours is alot prettier lol...curious to know if you solved the problem..hello to all

Hey @Ajmboy thanks.   So here's an update on tis PITA! CDI was a complete failure and it did not do the trick. Valve lash was good, timing spot on. Carburetor is perfect and she runs great to half throttle and starts backfiring like hell.  Regulator is on the way, i am stalking the stator, pick up and flywheel! Just about gone over everything else. 
Stay tuned.  

I was actually going to search the archives to see if anyone else had this problem. 

• Like 1

for my knowledge - two questions while thinking about stator:

1) you're checking stator to see if any of the coils are bad/burned, checking the pulse generator and testing the voltage/ohm readings on the stator and i guess the pulse generator as well to see if w/in specs?

2) when you take off the cover to get to the stator, does the oil need to be drained first?  asking because I eventually wanna check the stator on the 1986 honda trx 250 I picked up - the wires coming out of it are loose - someone has been in the case before, apparently (no surprise)

Checking stator to see if the coils are good.  
Yes, pulse/trigger coil testing to see if within range.  
Yes oil needs to be drained.   

Haven't been here for a while and just knew I was going to see the solution. You've got the big daddy of gremlins there Frank. You're not going to like me anymore but I think something might be plugged up in the high speed circuit in the carbulator. If no joy from the electrical components you're waiting to swap pull it again. Dang I feel your pain. 

Ok so update, finally got a little time to play in the shop.  Swapped out the regulator and guess what?????? NO CHANGE! FML.... 

Decided to pull the side cover off and pull the stator and flywheel off. Stay tuned.......

186CB8DB-EE1D-4C7D-B472-1BFA7A3BF11E.jpeg

9CD8D771-7C79-45BA-9C4C-2D4AE6E806B4.jpeg

47E4D387-CF94-4EAB-8026-00E1E82D460F.jpeg

DACDBF23-CAE9-4561-891E-A3579166A5E3.jpeg

544D067A-EBFD-493B-BA91-A9A3D82CB4FF.jpeg

BCA24E83-8BC6-434F-A10A-5DC67D8DA13E.jpeg

IMG_3837.MOV

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Frank Angerano said:

Need the video converted. Maybe @Ajmboy or @Admin can help me out.  

Thanks for tagging me @Frank Angerano, that's what brought me to this topic 😉

The issue is that iphones save videos as .MOV, and android, windows, and browsers like chrome do not automatically play .MOV files like MP4 files. Its usually the browser. .MOV is a quicktime file and will play in iphones and in safari browsers. 

I've converted it to .mp4

• Thanks 1

@Frank AngeranoThat sounds like a rev limiter so I'm betting you're on the right track with it being electrical. Cranky plug, internally broken wire somewhere....something along those lines I bet. 

@Admin thanks! 

@MarkinAR i have a new oem harness on the atv and all wiring is solid from top to bottom. I have not found a rev limiter on this machine so far but definitely a good guess.

Heres where I'm at;
I checked the flywheel and all magnets are solidly in place and have plenty of magnetic power.  I have seen where magnets will slide along the inside of the flywheel due to the epoxy holding them in place failing. No such luck, i did however find a spliced wire coming off the stator coil so I'm not taking a chance since i have it all apart im going to throw a new stator and pick up coil in.  

After that the only thing left is the cdi!  I put another one in (aftermarket) but it ran the same.

This ones a toughy !!! Going to get it straight though.  

@Frank Angerano, it seems you have addressed everything on the pre-combustion and combustion side...what about exhaust.  Any chance the something from the header back to the muffler limiting gasses escaping?  Maybe it can't move enough gas out to rev?  Muffler partially clogged?

great stator pics, frank - will help me in the future on the honda.  i'd seen youtube video on magnets coming off, too.  that thing sounds ROUGH, man.  you'll get there

@markinar i have no idea about anything possibly in the exhaust and its a great point. I will pull the exhaust pipe as soon as i get in and get back to. Good point though.  
Stator/pick up should be here tomorrow. 

@Dra O thanks buddy, wish i was posting them under different circumstances but the mystery continues! Maybe saga is a better choice of words lol 

Thank god for 🍺 

@quadnut20 yes sir, still on it!! Haven't had a lot of time due work so i get an hour or two here and there  but yes its a pain in the ass for sure, however this atv is like a good book that will have a crazy ending. 
I ordered a few parts and that will rule out any internal problems. The flywheel magnets are good and have plenty of power so I'm assuming the flywheel is good.   

Hoping its the pick up coil and we will be good.

I have about 15 hours of time documented so far. 

Keep you posted. 

Been doing a lot of research on this flywheel and although its seems ok there have been issues!  Since i have it open im thinking of just throwing in a new RM flywheel! 

Thoughts ??? 

You and I both hate throwing parts at it without knowing they actually need replacing...and flywheels aren't exceptionally cheap.  But I'm not sure what's left, you've pretty much ruled everything out.  Listening to the video, I'm not hearing a fuel issue, I'm hearing something electrical intermittently cutting off under load.  Under load issues are nearly always heat or gravity related so if it does it with a cold motor that almost only leaves gravity.