Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Dwight Williams

99 kodiak hard to shift out of reverse

I have a 99 Kodiak 400 4X4 that I picked up for $300.  The previous owner had modified the foot shifter by welding a piece of rebar to it so he could hand shift while plowing.  As you can imagine, the allows for much more torque on the shifter than it was designed to have, and he broke the stopper off of the the shift mechanism.  No big deal, I ordered the part and put it back together, went through the carburetor and off we go, it runs pretty good.  

The first thing I noticed is that when I put the shifter all the way down it goes into reverse, I'm supposed to twist a knob to get it to reverse but this seems to be disabled.  Also, once in reverse, it's a bugger to get back out.  I have to hold the shifter up, then quickly back down and up again to get it to come out.  All forward gears work fine, clutch is tight, no problems.

The reverse cable and lever are in tact and seem to move freely.  

My question is this:  What does one normally have to do to get this thing into reverse?  I assume put it in neutral, twist the knob, kick the shifter down.  Does the brake need to be applied?  I'm not sure what's going on here, I suspect it's been 'modified' as it goes into reverse without the proper precautions, just not sure if the mods were external on internal.

thanks

The reverse knob goes to a cable thats connected to the lever on the engine obviously however inside that engine cover under the lever  is called a reverse cam stopper. There is a spring inside thats not returning the cam  or the small cam lost  its lobe.  
This is obviously designed to prevent you from downshifting all the way, bypassing neutral  and into reverse while the atv is moving forward. This would result in a catastrophic failure on the drive train.   

As far as how it works its simple, you downshift all the way to neutral and turn the knob and downshift into reverse and let the knob go. In order to get out its a simple upshift. 
You should have indicator light on the dash as well for reverse and neutral?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By gouletp
      When it is  cold outside, say 35 deg F and colder, it is very difficult to shift to Reverse from neutral.  Engine temp doesn't have an effect.  I apply the brakes hard with the hand lever and the foot pedal.  In another post I read that high idle can affect shifting when the engine temp is warm. 
      I will try it with lower idle speed once I find the screw.  In the interim, can you tell me if there is some sort of adjustment for the shifter?
      Thank you
    • By pablo Blake
      Its in pretty rough shape and its gonna be my first atv, I worked on bikes before but nothing to do with quads. Anyways the quad has some problems and im tryna figure out what to focus on first. So the U joints i think are shot. The bike starts first try every time ussually have to give it a lil gas with the throttle and revs right up, idles fine but its running REALLY rich 3 starts and my brand new plug was pitch black

Bike is L model

video-1577465068.mp4

Its using the original mikuni carb but im not the best at fixing the carbs and wondering if there is anywhere online that would be able to either walk me through it or help me with it i didnt see a air mixture screw so it seems like im gonna half to open it up and adjust like the float and a couple other things
    • By MarkinAR
      So this 98 Big Bear is my new project.  While I'm waiting on a few parts to show up, I'm working on a few small things.  I can shift 1-5 just fine, no problem at all (keep in mind, this is not running yet so just manual shifting sitting still).  However, I can't shift from 1-neutral.  I can hold down on the foot shifter, rock it a bit, and it will disengage the clutch so i can push it around in neutral as long as I keep pushing down on the shifter.  However, it will not downshift to neutral and stay there.  I know BB's have had some shifting difficulties in the past, but before I dive into this, have any of you fine folks encountered the same issue?  I'm tempted to just adjust the linkage a bit since these have an external linkage, but thought I'd toss the question to the group and see if there are any common issues to look for.
      Thanks guys...
    • By Jay Reddick
      Hey guys, need some help with my 2016 Yamaha Kodiak 700 4x4.  Was riding and it started smoking below the air box and then Caught fire.  We got the fire put out quickly with a fire extinguisher.  Many of the wires below the air box got damaged.   I purchased a new wiring harness for the atv and replaced that as well as any other damaged cables or parts that burned up where the fire was.  I also replaced the regulator, the ECU, and the starter solenoid. I also replaced the stater since some of the cables that went to the regulator were damaged.  It acts like it will crank but it won’t turn over.   The fuel pump initialized when I turn the key so it’s working.  I’ve spend $1500 on parts and no luck yet.  Any suggestions?  
    • By Guy Churchward
      I have a 2016 Yamaha Kodiak and find myself with a start issue.. I changed the battery so it’s not that.. here’s a video of me trying and then boost starting.. can anyone give me pointers as to a starter motor issue or fuse or wiring or whatever ?.. I find myself without a vehicle with a tow hitch for the 1st time in years so have a dead and stranded ATV to fix !
      thanks in advance, suggestions welcome
      Guy

IMG_5952.mp4