Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

MarkinAR

New toy in the shop

Unfortunately this weekend we waived goodbye to the 99 400ex.  Ported and polished head, DMC Alien exhaust with dual header, an absolute unit that would run 70 on the top end.  Fortunately though the 400ex left in exchange for a fairly cherry 98 Honda 300..the holy grail of reliability in a mud and water toy.  Previous owner added the snorkels and it was a decent job.  Put some 25" swamp witches on it, now it just needs 1" spacers, 2" bracket lift, couple of pinion seals and a pound or two of dielectric grease.  Hate to let the 400ex go as it was a gem, but it's hard to pass on a cherry 300.  These things are just so dang reliable and easy to work on.

20200130_223016.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MarkinAR said:

Unfortunately this weekend we waived goodbye to the 99 400ex.  Ported and polished head, DMC Alien exhaust with dual header, an absolute unit that would run 70 on the top end.  Fortunately though the 400ex left in exchange for a fairly cherry 98 Honda 300..the holy grail of reliability in a mud and water toy.  Previous owner added the snorkels and it was a decent job.  Put some 25" swamp witches on it, now it just needs 1" spacers, 2" bracket lift, couple of pinion seals and a pound or two of dielectric grease.  Hate to let the 400ex go as it was a gem, but it's hard to pass on a cherry 300.  These things are just so dang reliable and easy to work on.

20200130_223016.jpg

Nice Honda 300 !! Im a 400ex guy though !! 

2 hours ago, Frank Angerano said:

Very nice find. $ ? 

Even swap for the 400ex. Pretty close in value, NADA has the 400ex a bit above but in the south sport quads are hard to move and 4x4 ESPECIALLY a 300 are way WAY overpriced. Real money in it is about $800 since that was what was in the 400ex. The 300 would bring closer to $1500 here if it were for sale. 

Looks good. I see the oem head lights have been replaced with aftermarket led and the fender flares are gone. The snorkel looks good and everything else looks in tact but it was definitely in the hands of someone who was able to work on a quad or at least tried.  

Here's the thing about snorkels that I don't get.  Folks usually put an upright snorkel 3 feet in the air; that's great, but that would mean water was over your head.  snorkels are best left just under chin height sitting on the seat.  Any taller than that and it's just a "mine is bigger than yours" situation.

This bike seems to be completely untouched.  The carb is absolutely disgustingly dirty and I see that as a good sign.  It's not been taken off to clean!

On 2/5/2020 at 8:08 AM, MarkinAR said:

Here's the thing about snorkels that I don't get.  Folks usually put an upright snorkel 3 feet in the air; that's great, but that would mean water was over your head.  snorkels are best left just under chin height sitting on the seat.  Any taller than that and it's just a "mine is bigger than yours" situation.

This bike seems to be completely untouched.  The carb is absolutely disgustingly dirty and I see that as a good sign.  It's not been taken off to clean!

Yea that snorkel is over kill !! LOL wonder if the airbox is water tight !! I wish deals like that would come my way !!

And the new toy in the shop is already wounded.  Something got in a bind and blew the whole chunk of case out around the primary drive gear at the back of the motor.  In the pic you can see the crack along the top...there is a big chunk missing from the bottom.  And it won't roll....but the front and rear diffs both seem fine.  Unfortunate.  This looks to be a bit of a project.  Still feels like it will shift through gears so i'm wondering if the ring and pinion just jumped a bit and blew something to pieces.

IMG_3384.jpg

Separate cover. Another group I'm in said it's not completely unusual on the bike as sometimes the ujoint explodes and takes the primary gear with it. Hoping I can lay it on the side and slide the broken one out and new one in. Alternative is splitting the case. 

Another group your in???? Are you cheating on us???? lol. 
I think you pull the bevel gear cover off and see whats what. I have a feeling a tooth busted off and did the damage.  

Easy @Frank Angerano, the other group mentioned is a Honda 300 facebook group...I'm a member of no other quad forums...quite honestly there's not another one I've found that's as good.  The TRX forum is good but I work on a lot more than Honda. I updated the new thread i created for this issue but I'm reading it's likely the ujoint in the axle tube grenaded and when it did it took out the primary drive housing.  Pretty common from what I've read.

Lol ok just checking!!! But seriously there is no other forum quite like Quadcrazy. 
Im curious about how it looks so be sure to post pics when you open it up.  

There's not too much to look at other than the carnage of the primary output gear.  You can pull the clutch packs, take 3 bolts out and slide the gear out of the case.  The trick is going to be not letting the trans gears fall into the bottom of the case!  Think i'm going to lay the bike on it's side and then chase the output shaft through from the clutch side with a similar sized pipe of some type.  In theory, I can just slide the replacement back through, stick the clutches back on and be good to go.