Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

bren7176

1995 Polaris Sportsman 400 Compression

What would be the compression on a 1995 Polaris sportsman 400 4x4  ?? Have one in great shape plastic is almost like new and the engine only has 90 psi which I figure is Capulet ...

brendan 

Was that a 2 stroke? Can't remember. I would assume fresh rings and good seating would be more like 150 psi, I would think 100 PSI would be about the low end.  I had a 4 stroke Bayou 220 that ran like a champ with 80 psi but that's a 4 stroke....

If compression is at 90 I'd think that's about low enough to keep it from sucking fuel in and running right...if running at all.

ya its a 2 stroke ,  Well took it apart and the jug looks bit beat up and the piston is not so good looky .. all scratched and and ruff .. looks like it was run with bad mix..  well it did sit at a hunting camp for over 20 years in a garage  not being used . sad thing ,  has less then 500 miles on it . time for a top end rebuild .

IMG_9384.thumb.JPG.2d9d469c42a0326759eadf1c9a9263f1.JPG

Edited by bren7176

Check the cylinder walls and bearings. Your In There so why not. Scuffed could mean trouble if not looked into

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would buy a cheap cylinder honer and hook it up to a drill and run it up and down the cylinder for a quick second. 

Add a new piston and rings and you should be good to go.  

That scaring on the skirt doesn't look that bad as the rings look pretty smooth.  If the cylinder wall isn't toast a quick refresh with a hone and some new good rings and i bet it runs like a champ.  I'd probably even buff out the piston skirt and reuse since OEM is always better than repop.  The scratches may just be years of sitting and then the carbon deposits flaking off when trying to fire it.  I've seen worse run. :)

I am always a fan of @MarkinAR but there is now way in hell i would have all that apart and not put a new piston and rings in.  Although Mark is  right about trying to find an oem piston however Wiseco makes a great quality piston that should last a long time.  

Point taken @Frank Angerano.  The reason I was thinking recycle the piston is that the skirt never touches anything, it's just there to let oil pass to the rings.  Hell, if the skirt touched anything it would be tragic!  But with pistons, even Wiseco, not really being that big of an investment...it's probably better safe than sorry.

• Like 1

looks to me like the skirt was touching something in there😆  haha i dont know 2 stroke tho

ya dont think the oil pump was worky as the cable was froze when i got it ..

Well time for rebuild ...

I would never waste the time or gaskets re-using that piston. If Pro-X makes one they are usually pretty reasonable. 

Look at this... WSM makes standard and 0.5mm and 1.0mm over.

polaris.JPG.b300f36a5095a2558fe51f9f9f590b22.JPG

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Dan Tressler
      I have a 2018 Sportsman 570 SP Hunters Edition. I bought the quad new in August of 2018 and put around 20 miles on it with no issues. In early January of this year the quad was acting as if it had a bad battery even though it had been plugged into a tender. I checked the battery and it tested well so I took it to the dealership for warranty service. They had it for almost a month. They determined the quad had a bad EPS unit and swapped it out. Then they told me that the wire for the EPS needed to be updated as they could not program the new unit with the old wire. After the wire came in dealership told me they were still having troubles programming. After another week and a half they told me that they had consulted several times with engineers from Polaris and found a workaround and that the quad was ready for pickup. I contacted Polaris to inquire about the warranty being extended as it was in the shop for a month. They extended the 6 month factory warranty for an additional 3 months. I picked the quad up and the dealership said that the 2018 SP editions were known to have issue a with the EPS units but believed that they had fixed mine. I had it back for around a month and took it out a couple times for short rides and everything seemed fine. I parked it again for a few days and when I went to start it same issues (acting like the battery is no good and won’t start, when I jump start no power steering). Took it back to dealership and waiting to hear what the diagnosis is this time as well as their plan to fix this permanently. Just wondering if anyone else has had issues similar to mine or can give me some advice. Thanks in advance!
    • By bren7176
      Doeas any have the actual electrical diagram for the distirbution block  for this atv > I had a few wire not worky worky so needed to replace ends plus dam thiing is dirty so needs to clean all the contacts ..
      Want to make shure I get eveything back in right place .... I have the repair manual but as we know it no help really .....

Brendan
    • By Matt John
      Charging issue?
      I have a 2017 Polaris Sportsman 570 EFI. Yesterday, I start the machine and it says low power (10.6-10.8). This machine is on its second battery. This is a new AGM battery with 50cca more than stock.
      Should I look at the regulator or stator?
      Thanks!!!
    • By JacobSlabach
      Got a 04 Sportsman 500 that wasnt running- owner said it needed a stater and a new battery.  It ran rough (been sitting out in the weather for a while).  A friend and I started by adding a new battery and it would start barely with the choke and his hand over the air-filter.  I decided to install the new battery in the holder on the side.  we had it on the rack because the old on was still in the bike.  I tried to be nifty by turning the battery to put the terminals in an easier spot to get to, but forgot to reverse the cables too.  In a sentence, I reversed the positive and negative on the battery like a dummy.  When we discovered my mistake and corrected it, we turned on the bike, but the display did not light up and the key did not turn on the starter.  jumping the solenoid worked the starter, so we thought the solenoid just burned up when I reversed the pos and neg...  new solenoid and no difference.  what have I burned up?  Also, the shifter does not seem to do anything in the trans.  it slides back and forth like its stripped in the trans.  any help would be appreciated!!
      I think the biggest issue right now is the electrical.
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By bren7176
      So honed out the cylinder and got most of it nice nice but left with this .. Might just have to have the things bored out now ..... some before and after..pics.
      1995 Polaris Sportsman 400 4x4 

have to have the things bored out now ..... some before and after..pics..

• By colin james
      2012-2014 Sportsman 400/500 factory service manual
      View File This is the factory service manual for multiple models of the years 2012-2014  sortsman 400/500 including hd edition's.
      Submitter colin james Submitted 08/13/2019 Category Polaris ATV  
    • By colin james
      This is the factory service manual for multiple models of the years 2012-2014  sortsman 400/500 including hd edition's.
    • By Arctic Snowdog
      Hi Guys,
      I have a small Sled Dog business and I train up to 14 Huskies pulling a Yamaha Grizzly 550, that is quite a lot of Horse (Dog) power. Sometimes in order to make the ride smoother for Dogs and us we ride in Neutral but on a few occasions I have noticed that the right hand (front) brake seems to loose pressure and does not brake at all. Is there a particular reason for this ? Is it a fault or is it something to do with us riding in neutral, I only use the ATV in this way a few months a year before the snow comes but I am sure I recall the same thing happening last season.
      Any ideas would be greatly appreciated because I am a far way from being a mechanic.....
      Have a super day and thank you all.
      Craig
      Lapland

• By Jacob Blocker
      I have not been able to start my 300ex that I just got off a guy. I was able to getting it running once, then never again. After a week of trying to make it run I got a compression tester and it is saying about 30 psi. Is this definitely the rings just worn out or can it be something elses? I can't even make it pop when I spray stater fluid in it.