Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Jeff Miller

Starting problem 2004 Suzuki Twin Peaks

Reading along here...it's not completely unusual for a starter on an small block chevy to quit working due to oil gumming up the brushes.  You can pull the starter off and it spins, but not under load.  If it were me, i'd wash the starter good in gas and spin it quite a bit by hand.  Hit it with compressed air and let it dry then reinstall and try again.  I'd almost bet there is debris or corrosion keeping the brushes from contacting enough to pass a high enough voltage to turn the motor over.

On a chevy small block (One of my favorites) btw... The starters usually get stuck when the shaft gets eventually gets coated in a heavy grease and sediment buildup. The starter wont engage the starter gear  to the flywheel Thats why tapping it with a mallet usually works to free it up. Especially in the colder months.  I love, love, love my small block engines.  Built thousands!! Fast ones. 
Anyway if you see the gear that is broken is why the flywheel is getting pulled. Something kicked back and sheared a few teeth off.  So now a fix and then a reason as to why it blasted a few teeth off. I was thinking some sort of kick back/backfire? Maybe a compression issue with the automatic decompression device ? 
Whats your thoughts on this  @MarkinAR?

• Like 1

@Frank Angerano If its anything like my boys 300FW the one way clutch is going out so the starter spins a couple extra rotations. If it dies he hits the starter again before it's done whizzing...that's a sure fire way to knock teeth off a starter. 

• Like 1

Definitely a good way to look at it and very possible.  Unfortunately a few things are going to have to come apart to verify that.   

Posted (edited)

Still don't have the tool to pull it all yet. I am aware of not hitting the starter until things have stopped moving-It's certainly possible I did once or twice, especially if the clutch was failing. This thing has led a pretty easy life for a quad in general-not that I couldn't have accidentally hurt it ;) I'll take a look at the clutch and of course replace anything that looks suspect there as well as check the decompression rig. 

Edited by Jeff Miller

quasi update-

pulled it apart-the only thing visibly damaged is the starter gear teeth in the previous pictures. The one way clutch seems to work spinning by hand-goes one way, is locked the other. I've been having a heck of a time getting parts, everything backordered. I was waiting on two different places that fell through. Just found one on ebay-new today. More waiting....

Posted (edited)

I just fixed one that the one way clutch bearing was fine by hand but slipped with the kick start. If you have to replace it go OEM even though they're high. I've seen cheap ones shred the primary clutch nose. 

Edited by MarkinAR

I've never seen a Suzuki model like that around here but it sure looks like the Kawasaki Brute Force 750 I'm dealing with. Has the exact same failure - broken starter gear.

According to the info I found in a Kawie forum, these gears were known to break and were eventually beefed up by the factory. Replacement parts from 2012 and up were what was recommended.

Still waiting for the new parts to arrive, sounds like that's a common issue everywhere eh?!

On 6/11/2020 at 8:08 PM, MarkinAR said:

I just fixed one that the one way clutch bearing was fine by hand but slipped with the kick start. If you have to replace it go OEM even though they're high. I've seen cheap ones shred the primary clutch nose. 

How would I know that the original is no good? I don't want to miss anything while it's apart, but I also don't want to waste money.

On 6/13/2020 at 11:47 AM, spock58 said:

I've never seen a Suzuki model like that around here but it sure looks like the Kawasaki Brute Force 750 I'm dealing with. Has the exact same failure - broken starter gear.

According to the info I found in a Kawie forum, these gears were known to break and were eventually beefed up by the factory. Replacement parts from 2012 and up were what was recommended.

Still waiting for the new parts to arrive, sounds like that's a common issue everywhere eh?!

You're right on it being a mirror of the Kawi. I just got the gear, new, via ebay. I'd feel better knowing that it was a common failure vs something else going on that I can't figure out. Is there a way to know if I got the updated version, or is it safe to assume since it's new? Thanks

The newer style gear will have thicker, stronger teeth compared to the original. It will be obvious when you compare them.

They look slightly different, not as much as I expected, but the tops seem to be slightly larger and have a little different shape.