Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

So I’m 14 years old right now..... I’m a pretty good rider for my age, I have a 98’ 300ex that I’m tryna sell. I’m thinking of a 400ex or should I skip the 400 and just go to a 450r or something along those lines? 

For trail riding I would go with the 400ex and for open riding I would go with the the 450r because you can open it up and it has more power.

Added more info to your topic title 😀

• Haha 1

400ex is generally preferred due to being a bit more simple to work on and has been in production forever with very few changes so the aftermarket is large. 450 is still a good bike though. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MarkinAR said:

400ex is generally preferred due to being a bit more simple to work on and has been in production forever with very few changes so the aftermarket is large. 450 is still a good bike though. 

I agree grabbed a 450er after owning 400's and find that getting things for the 400 was WAY easier.(plus a lil better to work on)

On 5/17/2020 at 8:23 AM, Ajmboy said:

For trail riding I would go with the 400ex and for open riding I would go with the the 450r because you can open it up and it has more power.

Added more info to your topic title 😀

Haha thanks for the advice!!!!, I went  ahead yesterday morning and picked up a decent shape 400ex for half the price they sell in my area. 🤫

• Like 1

Well I've had 6 400ex with some stuff done to them they great trail 4 wheeler but they weak get a 06 up 450 with right rejjeting slip on and re gearing 450 way better wider and longer more stable have a 2014 love it 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Asen_77
      Hi All,
      My name is Asen and I am from Eastern Europe, Bulgaria. Riding a Yamaha Raptor 700R and this is my first Quad wanted for a vey long time :)

• By Rich1028
      Good/Better/Best +1 A-Arms honda 400 X 2008-2014 

What are some of the good, better,and the best 1+ a arms out there?
      where does Houser Racing Fall?
      https://www.houser-racing.com/Honda-400EX-1-Standard-Travel-A-arms-p/030107-01.htm
      JD Performance
      http://www.jdperformance.net/488_Web_Design/a_arms.html

and something found on ebay
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRX-400EX-400EX-1-A-ARMS-SALE-SILVER-VEIN-LIFETIME-WARRANTY-GNCC/372763670824?hash=item56ca723928:g:qwIAAOSwJkZddV2x
    • By BuckBilly
      Good morning to all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Let's see if we can make this a daily event.
    • By Trent Finnessey
      Hey, so I’ve got a 98’ 300ex with a few mods.... jet kit, k&n air filter, it’s got 18” rear tires. I’m just wondering what would be the best mods so I can keep up with say a 400ex on the straight always, I already can in the trails simply because I’m a better rider..... 
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Justice Owens
      Hey guys, any ideas would be greatly appreciated on this. 
      So it started a few months ago, riding with some buddies and my 400ex all of a sudden lost power. Wouldn't fire, wouldn't sputter. Towed it home, and then it fired right up. It continued this pattern for a week or two, ran perfectly for varying amounts of time, suddenly died, and would start right back up if I waited 20 mins or so.
      Now we get to the next phase... I was dinking with it one day, I think I pulled the carb off and cleaned it out, (not really dirty but just to be sure) and I was trying different fuel screw adjustments. At any rate, I didn't notice much change, except obviously running a little poorer when I had the fuel screw in the wrong place. I took it on a quick ride around the block, and it was just fine. Ran awesome, had lots of power, etc. Then went around the block again and it died on me this time right as I revved it. Ever since then I haven't been able to get it to start. 
      Now when I turn it over, it sputters, fires a touch, but won't start. Ever. I replaced the plug, CDI, and coil, with no change. I do know that it has spark, but I don't know for certain that its big enough. After replacing these with no change I popped the carb off and tried firing it up spraying some either right into the intake. Upon doing so, it revved right up, but obviously there was no carb so it didn't stay running for long. While spraying the ether it seemed to run just like other engines I've tried spraying ether into no popping or backfiring etc. When it fired right up on the ether, I figured I must have a carb issue, so I just bought a whole new carb instead of taking the old one apart for the 800th time. When I put it in, there was no change whatsoever. Still turns over and sputters, but won't fire up.
      I am completely befused, and any input would be graciously accepted. If you read through all that your a trooper, so thanks very much :) 
    • By Bob Hill
      I need a motor but i really dont hsve lots of cash and im on the kenai peninsula. Up here in Alaska i really need help
    • By Wali
      I was riding my 400ex one day and when i shut it off to put it in the garage i tried to start it put again to drive it into the garge and it wouldnt start.I put a compression tester on it and its like 30 psi with out throttle and 0 psi WITH THROTTLE.
      when i put my finger over the hole it fell likes its pulling my finger in more then its pushing it out 

Has good spark.When i took it into the shop the said it had 1oz of oil in it and a tiny pit of metal shaving(TINY BIT LIKE 30 flakes)
      When i try to pull start (push start/roll start) it made a not normal sound  and wouldnt stay running.
      If my bottom end is blow why would it still turn over fine,
      Are my valves siezed or not working properly 
      or is my timing off causeing valves to not open in correct order with fire 
      PLEASE HELP all help is appreciated 
    • By Coral Breding
      I loosened the allen bolts on the carrier and when I went to put my driver in the alot to pull back and tighten the chain, I noticed the holes were facing the front of the bike. I tried to slide a driver in and tighten the chain but the thing would not budge. I nearly ripped the tip off the driver in the slot. Any suggestions? 

• By afa913
      Am i better off to just replace the bearings or buy the whole carrier?