Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Dskip160

1987 Suzuki LT250 won’t start

Hey there! New guy here! So I bought an 87 250. I turn the key and it has ignition light. I press run and the engine turns over. Guy I bought it from said the carbs may need cleaning, I worked them good cleaned and blown out. I reinstalled the carb and still doing the same thing. It’s getting fuel, the battery is brand new and charged I’m lost here!( purchased a new carb on its way) anyone have any ideas

04B4661B-D3B8-4E21-866D-093D0C406756.jpeg

The next thing would be to check for spark.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ajmboy said:

The next thing would be to check for spark.

Checked... good spark, getting fuel to the bowl as well so I’m stumped 

Posted (edited)

After you turn it over a bit, does the plug get wet with fuel?  If there is fuel in the bowl and spark, then the issue could be timing is off (could be sparking at the wrong time), valves could be tight or loose, flywheel keyway could be sheared.

I'd start with checking timing to make sure it's spot on at TDC, then hit it with a touch of ether and see if it'll bust.  If it does, then it's a fuel delivery issue.  Have to go back into the carb and check the jets as there could be an obstruction.  If it doesn't at least try to bust on ether then i'd look at compression.  Could be that it has too little to run due to stuck or worn rings.

That thing is beautiful for an 87, what a find!

Edited by MarkinAR