Quantcast

China virus

6 hours ago, JustRandy said:

Give it time lol

I'm sure there is some reason the billionaires want to be there, but I'm not sure my curiosity would warrant all the effort.  What is it you think I should see?

Maybe some more real freedoms.  You know  like freedom  from worry if you  can  afford medical  coverage and ifyour medical  will pay for your operation or won't  because of "pre-existing conditions".  Freedom  from fearing your neighbour so  much you feel you  have to go  armed everywhere. Freedom from  cops blowing you away  because you were the wrong colour  driving a vehicle with a broken  tail  light .. Freedom  from  being blown  away  because you went for a  jog and again  were the wrong colour , and  for the most part freedom  from  being infected  by as deadly  virus because your neighbour  doesn't know the difference between "freedom"  and  selfish refusal to follow simple measures to  protect yourself and your contacts  because those measure might  inconvenience you ..  Should I  go  on Randy?...... Unfortunately in some ways  Canada  is becoming more  like  the  US  in too  many wrong ways .  I wish we were more like  NZ  in that  we could get rid of the   attitudes towards   "freedom" by  too  large a segment of our  population influenced by the nut cases south of the border.

Ha. Good onya Dave.

I was just going to say "the people".. he's obviously ill informed about what we are really like.

I guess we all judge others according to our own experiences.. If you've always had to fight, I guess fight is what you think everyone has to do to survive. If you live in a rat race, I guess you think the whole worlds a cage and rat race. If you've never known kindness or generosity, you think "hard" is the only sensible thing to be.

Kiwis know better.

Perhaps he'd come, judge us by his expectations, and find fault in our way of life anyway.. 

Edited by Mech

4 hours ago, davefrombc said:

freedom  from worry if you  can  afford medical  coverage

Maybe freedom from worry that I could afford medical care introduces the worry that I could find medical care.  I know Bernie's answer to that was free college to have more doctors but then the problem is how many people are really smart enough to be doctors.  So freedom from worry of access introduces worries about quality.  I've already encountered many nurses who can't or won't do basic grammar.... and I'm not sure which is worse: the can't or won't.

There is no such thing as freedom in the abstract.  Freedom from one thing causes bondage to another.  Indoor pets don't have to worry about the elements but also can't freely move about.  Outdoor pets have freedom to roam but have to worry about security.

You think I should be disarmed and be reliant upon the government for security but the government is helpless to provide it.  How many people did that church shooter in NZ kill before the cops got there?  So the answer is to take the guns?  But criminals don't obey the rules.  So not only are freedoms lost but security is not even assured.

You think the gov should have the power to order everyone to wear masks and get vaccines but those measures don't work and not everyone obeys, so once again the gov is helpless to assure my safety.

The pursuit of safety is futile; all you can accomplish is losing your freedoms.

Kennesaw, GA has a law on the books stating every head of household must be armed.  They have essentially no crime and only one murder in 10 years.  Family Circle magazine said Kennesaw is one of the top 10 places to raise a family.

On the other hand, Chicago banned guns and is the worst place on the planet for crime.

Why do you think New Zealand schools have no rules?  The kids are free to do what they want but the adults are not?  What kind of cognitive dissonance is that?

5 hours ago, davefrombc said:

Freedom  from fearing your neighbour so  much you feel you  have to go  armed everywhere.

I don't go armed anywhere.  I'm more scared of the cops than I am the criminals.  There are too many regulations about where and how to carry that I just don't bother.  I used to work in the inner city in the hood until late at night renovating houses and never had a problem.  I actually made friends with some of the crack dealers, so I'm not really worried about assaults on my person.

It's more the issue that every house in my neighborhood is filled with guns so breakins never happen.  The methheads would have to be suicidal to try to steal from anyone around here.  When I used to live in the city my house was robbed twice.  I can step out the door right now and empty a semi-auto, but if I tried that in a city I'd be arrested.

The cops (communists on patrol) are the real terrorists.  They lay in wait to shake people down over trivialities.  They erect roadblocks to ensnare peaceful people going about their business over stupid stuff, like forgetting to bring a drivers license.  But when someone dumps their trash on my property and I find a pizza box with name and number, they do nothing.  When my house is broken into they do nothing.

So forgive me if I pass on your totalitarian utopia.  Government's place is to regulate business to protect the people, not regulate the people to benefit business.

5 hours ago, davefrombc said:

freedom  from  being infected  by as deadly  virus because your neighbour  doesn't know the difference between "freedom"  and  selfish refusal to follow simple measures

What about freedom from being injected with carcinogens because my neighbor is too stupid to do basic research?  The average IQ in the US is under 100, which is dumb as a rock.

I am just beside myself is disbelief that so many lined up to take an experimental jab based on technology previously reserved as a last-ditch effort to save cancer and aids patients and by an industry with such an atrocious track record concerning safety as big pharma which routinely had class action lawsuits following the release of each new drug being plastered on tv night after night for decades and at the recommendation of an establishment described as the 3rd leading cause of death in medical journals.... all to protect against a disease with near-certain survival rate.  It's the absolute pinnacle of stupidity.  Nothing could be dumber.

And the masks are a false sense of security.  It's as if you're advising people to wear cardboard helmets while stunt-riding.  So they take extra risks thinking they're protected then crack their head open.  It's either dumb or evil... take your pick.

And what's even more concerning is that facts don't matter to you (Mech even explicit stated facts don't matter).  I've told you these things over and over and over and you still continue on in your religion.

This interaction has taught me to not want democracy because too many are too proud of being immune to facts.  I don't want more people voting.... I want less.  Show your ID, stand out in the rain, no mail-in voting... that way only those willing to crawl through a sewer of broken glass will vote.

Your dogmatic efforts to ignore the facts only serve to push me farther to the right.  The stubbornness of the left has transformed a progressive into a conservative.  Y'all are the GOP's MVPs.  They should put you on the payroll.  All you have to do is stick your fingers in your ears and chant "nah nah nah" and people will flock to the right.  It's an easy gig.

You will learn something you can learn no other way after the midterms.  Gerrymandering isn't going to save the dems.

https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/7172/What-will-be-the-balance-of-power-in-Congress-after-the-2022-election

And if you thin the blundering buffoon Trump was bad, wait until someone competent like DeSantis gets in power.

"(Mech even explicit stated facts don't matter)"..

Really ?  Is it cognitive dissidence, or the human condition that's the problem...

Either way you should address it.

Ever tried meditation Randy ? Transcendental meditation ..  I'd highly recommend it.

In case it's a new concept to you...

"The term cognitive dissonance is used to describe the mental discomfort that results from holding two conflicting beliefs, values, or attitudes. ... This inconsistency between what people believe and how they behave motivates people to engage in actions that will help minimize feelings of discomfort.".

The last sentence there is the give away..

11 minutes ago, Mech said:

Really ?  Is it cognitive dissidence, or the human condition that's the problem...

Irrationality and lack of critical thinking skills is the problem.  People have been selected for obedience in lieu of thinking for 1000s of years.  Thinking for yourself resulted in being burned at the stake.

11 minutes ago, Mech said:

Either way you should address it.

Nothing I can do other than point it out.

13 minutes ago, Mech said:

Ever tried meditation Randy ?

What do you think this is?  Did you watch the Alan Watts video?  Obviously not.

14 minutes ago, Mech said:

"The term cognitive dissonance is used to describe the mental discomfort that results from holding two conflicting beliefs, values, or attitudes. ...

Having no rules in schools, but lots of rules for adults is a conflicting belief.

14 minutes ago, Mech said:

The last sentence there is the give away.

The last sentence is an opinion rather than a definition.

JR, I don't believe  NZlanders are disarmed.. I  know we Canadians are not. There are a lot more restrictions for sure .. We  legitimate owners are all  licensed , either for long guns only ( PAL)  or  long guns and  small arms (RPAL). Guns must be stored unloaded and locked up. There  is no  concealed carry ( except where  the job requires it) and there is no  handgun  hunting.  They  may be kept in the home or  taken to   a shooting range and home.  Yes,  I would like to  be able yo  legally  carry my  .44mag.  and  .22 pistol  while hunting,  but  it  is not allowed.   I  used to  get all  my reloading gear  from the US and  Canadians  could easily  buy  firearms from   there , but the GCA  of 1968  pretty much put a stop to that by  making it  too much of an expensive hassle. I  personally own a small arsenal.  What  has been  banned in NZ is  semi-automatic weapons and I believe that ban was carried too far to  include semi-auto  hunting arms like shotguns and "normal"  rifles..  I would like to  see all assault style  weapons banned here.  As it is  most are in the restricted class only, all that was really banned are full auto weapons and  clips over 5 rounds ( .22 rimfire clips aren't restricted to 5 rounds) .  Weapons in the  US  held for  "home defense" or concealed carried  have been shown  time after time  to be more deadly to  owners and their family than they  have been  useful  in stopping the bad guys. Neither  NZ  nor  us have a problem  with regular  mass shootings like you do  in the US.. They are extremely rare  just about everywhere in the west except in gun happy  America. .  Some of our  restrictions are too  much,  but  most  have come  in  because of the regular  news of the latest atrocity  south of the border , and  our predominantly  urban  population  pressing for more restriction because their only association with guns is in the  "shoot 'em up" tv programs so  prevelent on US tv  and news of the latest  mass shooting or toddler  killing a family member with their  loose concealed carry. 

We don't fear our government, and in  some ways have more control  over it than you  do  yours.

Despite what you think the mRNA vaccines are neither experimental  nor are they carcinogenic.  Masks and social  distancing work  in  reducing transmission  of the virus.  It is  not 100 %,, more like 25% when  both people in contact are masked..  It is those anti-vaxx, and jerks screaming about  how their "freedoms"  are being threatened  that refuse to  do  either that  have  been the  main  sources of infection. The  pandemic would  have  been  a lot more under control  by now if it weren't for them.

Yes the drug companies have a lot to  answer for in many of the drugs they have created and pushed on the public. The  US  media  is constantly  loaded with  ads for patent  meds and prescription  meds for  every ailment the  hypochondriacs can dream  up.  There is far less of it in the media up here but we are still undated with them  since American  radio  and tv programming is well represented up  here too.

We up  here have the same  problem you Americans rail  about..  There are far too  many illegal drugs , weapons , gang associations and illegal  immigrants  coming up  across  our  southern  border.

1 hour ago, davefrombc said:

I don't believe  NZlanders are disarmed.. I  know we Canadians are not. There are a lot more restrictions for sure

They can't have a semi-auto 22 rifle for varmint hunting according to what other Kiwis told me.  Single shot is ok.

What possible purpose can that serve?  Mass shootings can't happen with a 22... it would just make people mad.  People banning things have no idea what they're banning.

We  legitimate owners are all  licensed, either for long guns only ( PAL)  or  long guns and  small arms (RPAL).

Licensing is the first step to confiscation.  Get a tyrant in power and they will know where to look.

Yes,  I would like to  be able yo  legally  carry my  .44mag.  and  .22 pistol  while hunting,  but  it  is not allowed.

And that restriction serves no benefit, especially the 22.

My atv battery died leaving me stranded on top of a mountain and I had to walk 2 hours through bear territory back to camp without a firearm because I can't carry a pistol and won't carry a long gun on an atv.

Honestly, I'm more scared of the rangers than the bears because I feel like I could reason more with the bears.

What  has been  banned in NZ is  semi-automatic weapons and I believe that ban was carried too far to  include semi-auto  hunting arms like shotguns and "normal"  rifles..

Oh good we agree.  I'm happy we have some common ground.

Weapons in the  US  held for  "home defense" or concealed carried  have been shown  time after time  to be more deadly to  owners and their family than they  have been  useful  in stopping the bad guys.

I'll take your word for it and I can see that, but maybe you haven't considered that the bad guys knowing the guns are there are stopped without having to actually use the guns.  I'd rather people stay away because they're scared than feel confident in breaking in and making me shoot them.

And there are a lot of dangers inside the home: chemicals under the sink, pills in the medicine cabinet.  Where would legislating safety end?  Irresponsible people will be irresponsible, whether with guns, pills, whatever.

Neither  NZ  nor  us have a problem  with regular  mass shootings like you do  in the US..

That's not because of the guns and I think you know that because it's the economic system causing desperation that is causing the lashing out.  Kennesaw GA has lots of guns and no mass shootings.

Kennesaw is noted for its unique firearms legislation, passed in response to a handgun ban in Morton Grove, Illinois. In 1982 the city passed an ordinance [Sec 34-21]:[25]

(a) In order to provide for the emergency management of the city, and further in order to provide for and protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants, every head of household residing in the city limits is required to maintain a firearm, together with ammunition therefore. (b) Exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who suffer a physical or mental disability which would prohibit them from using such a firearm. Further exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who are paupers or who conscientiously oppose maintaining firearms as a result of beliefs or religious doctrine, or persons convicted of a felony.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennesaw,_Georgia#Gun_law

Family Circle rated Kennesaw as one of the top 10 places to raise a family  https://www.cbsnews.com/news/top-ten-towns-in-which-to-raise-a-family/

kennesaw.thumb.jpg.b89282906b89a8bd6f72e6af1dc30edb.jpg

Therefore the existence of guns is not the problem.

And neither will banning them cure the problem.

Despite what you think the mRNA vaccines are neither experimental

We already established that they are experimental.

Supreme Court:

In consideration of these interests, DTR seeks to inform the Court that the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine mandated by the OSHA ETS and described as being the one approved by the FDA, i.e., Comirnaty, is not currently available to anyone in the United States. The United States finally and reluctantly conceded this in a lawsuit DTR brought in Florida. There is no supply of Comirnaty. The only vaccines in production and available are the vaccines approved under the FDA’s Emergency Use Authorization (“EUA”). DTR files this brief to explain why the OSHA COVID-19 vaccine mandate before the Court is an illegal federal mandate to compel Americans to take an experimental vaccine.

Furthermore, they are experimental because there simply hasn't been enough time to say otherwise. Vaccines require 8-10 years before they can be labeled anything other than experimental.

nor are they carcinogenic.

They are more carcinogenic than tobacco, Roundup, and asbestos because those substances take decades to manifest cancer while the vaccine is capable in mere months.  https://www.authorea.com/users/455597/articles/552937-innate-immune-suppression-by-sars-cov-2-mrna-vaccinations-the-role-of-g-quadruplexes-exosomes-and-micrornas

Masks and social  distancing work  in  reducing transmission  of the virus.

Not according to the CDC, WHO, Fauci, and common sense.

CDC says:

In our systematic review, we identified 10 RCTs that reported estimates of the effectiveness of face masks in reducing laboratory-confirmed influenza virus infections in the community from literature published during 1946–July 27, 2018. In pooled analysis, we found no significant reduction in influenza transmission with the use of face masks (RR 0.78, 95% CI 0.51–1.20; I2 = 30%, p = 0.25).  Our systematic review found no significant effect of face masks on transmission of laboratory-confirmed influenza.  https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/5/19-0994_article

WHO says:

A large randomized community-based trial in which 4862 healthy participants were divided into a group wearing medical/surgical masks and a control group found no difference in infection with SARS-CoV-2 (76).

A recent systematic review found nine trials (of which eight were cluster-randomized controlled trials in which clusters of people, versus individuals, were randomized) comparing medical/surgical masks versus no masks to prevent the spread of viral respiratory illness. Two trials were with healthcare workers and seven in the community. The review concluded that wearing a mask may make little or no difference to the prevention of influenza-like illness (ILI) (RR 0.99, 95%CI 0.82 to 1.18) or laboratory confirmed illness (LCI) (RR 0.91, 95%CI 0.66-1.26) (44)  https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

Fauci said:

"There's no reason to be walking around wearing a mask.  When you're in the middle of an outbreak, wearing a mask might make people feel a little better, and it might even block a droplet, but it's not providing the perfect protection that people think.  And often there are unintended consequences: people keep fiddling with the masks and touching their face."  Watch him say it: https://www.bitchute.com/video/prujdWuCxa8/

But see, facts don't matter to you.  Only religion.

The  pandemic would  have  been  a lot more under control  by now if it weren't for them.

Really?  It looks like vaccines are making it worse.

1897671058_vaccineslol.thumb.jpg.c349e9ae2bcecb89548cc0c287e60a26.jpg

• Like 1

We up  here have the same  problem you Americans rail  about..  There are far too  many illegal drugs , weapons , gang associations and illegal  immigrants  coming up  across  our  southern  border.

I'll let  Mech respond on the gun  laws in NZ.

There isn't enough context on the other  studies you quote trying to support your argument against masks but I  know your  Fauci  quote  is taken  out of context and incomplete.

Your arguments   about dangerous chemicals and other household hazards has absolutely no  bearing on  the threat  unsecured guns pose. Drain cleaner under the sink  can't  kill  someone nearby or  in  another room should a toddler get  hold of it.

I agree  guns in a stable  home with stable occupants are not a danger or problem  as such. It  is well  known  fact that perps don't  even  consider if  someone is armed or not when they burglarize a place. Thieves regularly  carry off firearms that are not secured in  homes and most often  even  if they  are . Securing them  just makes it harder and slower for them. Securing them  does help  prevent accidental  or spur of the moment  shootings.

You don't realize  just how much damage a lowly  .22 rimfire  can do. Because they  tend to "roam" in a victim, they  can  at times be more devastating than a 9mm.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, davefrombc said:

To a lesser extent because you have more robust social programs.

1711531815_failedstateindex.jpg.8494e9d6a3ada6023729886e2345a68f.jpg

7 minutes ago, davefrombc said:

There isn't enough context on the other  studies you quote trying to support your argument against masks

What context do you need?   The CDC looked at Randomized Controlled Trials (RCTs - the gold standard) from 1946 to 2018 and found no reduction on transmission of influenza virus with the use of masks.  Influenza is exactly the same size as coronavirus.

Same with the WHO.

Why can't you admit masks make no difference?

Masks won't even stop fiberglass I can see floating in the air unless I use one hand to hold the mask against my face (assuming I'm clean shaven because whiskers let particles around the mask).

The filtration of the mask is moot if air leaks around the mask.  Plus makes make people touch their face, which is what Fauci pointed out,

7 minutes ago, davefrombc said:

but I  know your  Fauci  quote  is taken  out of context and incomplete.

He said he lied to preserve PPE for health workers but that was a lie.  He knows masks make no difference.

Would you tell someone a cardboard helmet is better than nothing?  No, they will crack their head open.  It's better to have nothing because at least they won't take extra risks thinking they have protection.

18 minutes ago, davefrombc said:

Your arguments   about dangerous chemicals and other household hazards has absolutely no  bearing on  the threat  unsecured guns pose. Drain cleaner under the sink  can't  kill  someone nearby or  in  another room should a toddler get  hold of it.

No my point is to what extent can safety be legislated?  How does the gov know your guns are locked up?  How does the gov know your drain cleaner is out of the reach of kids?

If the gov does surprise inspections of peoples' homes, the kids will still die of something else the irresponsible parents didn't do because the problem is the parents are not responsible.  So the whole thing is a big waste of money and time and an intrusion on people in their homes.

24 minutes ago, davefrombc said:

It  is well  known  fact that perps don't  even  consider if  someone is armed or not when they burglarize a place.

If they know the occupants are not home then yeah.

25 minutes ago, davefrombc said:

Thieves regularly  carry off firearms that are not secured in  homes and most often  even  if they  are .

A guy told me if I ever break into homes to never take the guns because then the ATF would be looking for me.  It's not worth it.

30 minutes ago, davefrombc said:

You don't realize  just how much damage a lowly  .22 rimfire  can do. Because they  tend to "roam" in a victim, they  can  at times be more devastating than a 9mm.

I know a 22 can be deadly because I've killed a lot of things with one (with good aim), but I can't see someone taking a 22 to do a mass shooting.  One shot from a .410 with #4 shot will do more damage than an entire magazine of 22.

• Like 1

Here's what's troubling if you monitor other countries, which you can do via the WHO dashboard https://covid19.who.int/

Israel is usually on the forefront of boosters and ahead in its covid response. They are a highly vaccinated country and now its spiking again.

They just boosted a lot of people in the fall...

image.thumb.png.61e09df4c5a3eabc1104057514f3d29d.png

If you get away from US news for a moment and read what other countries post, headlines like these are troubling (if factually accurate)  https://www.riotimesonline.com/brazil-news/modern-day-censorship/80-of-serious-covid-cases-in-israel-fully-vaccinated/

image.thumb.png.a8d3f12b9b70cd792b26de2d245faabb.png

image.thumb.png.1fdfc09a069f1f8812bf71ee3d69b816.png

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JustRandy said:

I know a 22 can be deadly because I've killed a lot of things with one (with good aim), but I can't see someone taking a 22 to do a mass shooting.  One shot from a .410 with #4 shot will do more damage than an entire magazine of 22.

No , they much prefer  an assault style weapon, but I  can guarantee you   don't want to  be  hit by either the .410 or  the .22.   LOL  but your chances of surviving a hit by a .410  with  # 4 shot is a LOT better than  if a  full clip  or .22 was pumped into you.  .22 rimfire have taken  down  moose  and even  grizzly  bear, but  I  sure wouldn't recommend a  .22 for hunting either of them.

6 minutes ago, davefrombc said:

No , they much prefer  an assault style weapon, but I  can guarantee you   don't want to  be  hit by either the .410 or  the .22.   LOL  but your chances of surviving a hit by a .410  with  # 4 shot is a LOT better than  if a  full clip  or .22 was pumped into you.  .22 rimfire have taken  down  moose  and even  grizzly  bear, but  I  sure wouldn't recommend a  .22 for hunting either of them.

I think it depends on the distance.  At close range the 410 would blow a big hole in a person, but far enough away the balls will probably bounce off.  And I've had a lot of varmints walk away after being hit with a 22, but a 22 is just as deadly at close range as far.  A guy on youtube made a video showing the 22 is deadly as far away as one could hit a 4x8 sheet of plywood.

I did some comparisons with 410 and 22 of various speeds and hollow vs round and was surprised just what mess a little 410 will make.  A whole magazine of 22 will make a bunch of holes in water bottles but one shot with a 410 will blow the bottle into bits all over the lawn.  I couldn't see any difference in hollow vs round... velocity is what makes the difference.

But you're right, I don't want to be hit with either of them.

Hollow vs round nose doesn't seem to matter... it's more about the velocity.

Hi Dave. Still keeping those neighbors and friends happy and supported I hope.

You are right about our gun laws. And I agree that banning semi-auto 22 was a step too far, but we can apply to have one. And a 410 doesn't have anything like the range or a rifle.. Another red herring or strawman.

I think it was referring to me and/or you, but I think the real problem is...

"Irrationality and lack of critical thinking skills is the problem.".

I don't bother correcting wrong information because there's just too much of it and it just goes on and on and turns into a pissing match.

48 minutes ago, quadmaniac said:

Israel is usually on the forefront of boosters and ahead in its covid response. They are a highly vaccinated country and now its spiking again.

I think Israel is one of the most vaccinated countries.  Are they up to 2 shots and 2 boosters now?

It seems obvious to me the vaccine makes no difference... if anything it seems to make it worse.

One consequence no one has considered from all this is that lots of people will never get vaccinated for ANYTHING ever again, so we can expect a resurgence in other diseases we thought were gone.

All the fear-mongering and force has turbocharged the anti-vax movement.

1 minute ago, Mech said:

Check your "facts" Randy..

I just looked it up last night.  80% of kiwis have their shots (75% double and 5% single).  What did I miss?

Randy.  !!

Mate. You are really out of your depth here..

Did you get taught statistics at school Randy ? And how to read them, and make sense of them, and make sure they were relevant and complete enough to give an accurate picture of what they were purporting to be revealing ?