Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

How did you get into Quads?

When I was 15 years old a buddy of mine had a quad and we would ride it on the wooded trails behind our houses all thru high school. I moved to the city for several years for a good job but still didn't have a quad. Found a better job in New Hampshire a few years ago and moved up there. A friend at work had a couple quads and one day we went out riding. Got hooked again, bought my own a few months later and i've been riding ever since!

• 3 months later...

Started out on a trx125 when I was 9 all I could remember was my father saying don't hot rod that thing don't do doughnuts an of course every time I left his sight I pegged it and ride the same to this day only with my son I am showing him how to do the things dad never let me do had not ridden in years got my son a trx90 that he fell in love with now i can not seem to get off the seat or or a wrench out of my hand around them

My father bought a slightly used 85 Yamaha Moto4 200 in 1985. Never saw an atv before but had a blast of hanging on to dad while driving around upstate NY. For my birhday in 1986 I received an '86 Yamaha moto4 200 in a shipping crate. I think it was just an excuse for him to buy the second one. My father and I put the atv together. I rode it till the mid 2000s whenever i was upstate. Both atvs are still running but need a little tlc. I pretty much stopped riding after that.

2010 rolls around and my wife doesnt want my race car in the driveway. She said to me "hey watch this episode of a mew show called Storage Wars they have an atv on it". I was reluctant to watch but did. They found a LT500R -Quadzilla. Ok so a flame was ignited. I kicked the race car to the curb and the next week my neighbor asked me if I knew anyone who wanted a 400ex. Again I know nothing about atvs at this point so I said let me see what her husband had. A 2003 400EX. I was in love. Did I mention I never used a clutch on a atv before? I hand him 1500 and take off around the storage unit. I was hooked into atvs like never before. Now on Long Island there really isnt any riding areas that are legal. A few small tracks thats it. I found a place in PA called RAC. Met a quite a few great guys who ride and ben riding there these last few years.

Now I live in Alabama and trying to find new riders and places to ride. Its slowly going but not enough to feed my atv addiction.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

• 1 month later...

I needed something a little better to get into the woods and general yard work that my riding mower. I bought my wife a utility quad and I got a sport quad for myself. We have since both upgraded to larger bikes and just last weekend went to the Hatfield McCoy trails for a mini vacation. Should have done it long ago......

my wife and I sold our home in a suburb, moved to the great north of Wisconsin where trails are plentiful to ride on. We test drove everything before getting our Can Am's.

We will trail ride, spin through logging trails, and use them for yard work as well.

So far, being our first year, we've had a ton of fun with them.

• 2 months later...

My husband and I started dating in 2006. He had (still has) a KFX 400 that he would take me out on. One day he surprised me with a Warrior 350 so that we could ride together and I have been hooked ever since. Several months ago, we started a blog about our ATV lifestyle (in the hopes that it would keep us accountable and force us to find more time to ride - it does!).

If anyone is interested, we posted our story here. We haven't really seen any other ATV repair/lifestyle blogs out there, so if you know of any, we would really love to hear about them.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have no quad yet. i began driving a 50cc Kymco Agility which used more oil than fuel. I changed to a Kymco 120 Dink, which stopped running once it rained. And it rains quite often in Belgium-Europe. Bored of the Kymco-sh** I bought a really nice Triumph Bonneville. Great machine, but needs a lot of attention (chain). Now I want more stability, possibility to drive by storm and snow. For this reason I will go to the Autosalon Brussels on the 19-01-2014 and make my choice. On paper I go for the Goes 625i, which is close to the CFMoto 625i. Also TGB is an option. Sorry for the rest, but I want a 2-cilinder at a small budget.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Slow just was raised like any other country kid and liked big trucks and mud for my 11th birth day my dad bought me two kx80s, a parts bike and a running bike(neither ever ran), and ended up parting the bikes out and then bought a quad have always just loved it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/15/2016 at 4:40 PM, quadmaniac said:

Started with a Kawasaki Bayou years ago, always loved atvs and when I was a kid just couldn't get one where I lived. later got a yamaha warrior and then a king quad.

I had a bayou at one point also. I had a friend that always had 5-6 quads in his garage, eventually it was the thing to do!

One neighbour  had a trike  ( Honda  200cc) and another  had an  older  Honda quad.. I  saw  a 1991 Honda  Fourtrax TRX 300FW with  a winch  come up  for sale at a decent  price  and in  very good condition for the  age, so  I  bought it.   I've ridden  it  4  years now , and the only work  it  needs  now  is the rear axle  and hubs replaced because the  splines are worn  out  allowing  the   wheels to wobble  some  on the  shaft.  Got a  new axle and  hubs for it , but  need to   install them.  Newer  models would come with  more bells and whistles but so  far this  one  has done everything I want it to and  the  winch  has  pulled  my  neighbours  2  wheel  drive quads out  of  sticky   situations  several  times.  I added   2   accessory  sockets  so  I  can   power  12 volt  accessories  on  either  the  front or  rear  racks (or both) .  I don't see myself  replacing it anytime soon.  It goes  as  fast  as I want it to  on the trails here, and I've never had any  problem  pulling  anything with it. As long  as  it  has traction, it'll  pull so  I'm  not  needing any   bigger power  ...so  far; and at  73 I'm  not really  into  racing machines  myself . The old  Honda  goes  fast enough to  get into  trouble  as it is.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2016 at 7:07 PM, davefrombc said:

One neighbour  had a trike  ( Honda  200cc) and another  had an  older  Honda quad.. I  saw  a 1991 Honda  Fourtrax TRX 300FW with  a winch  come up  for sale at a decent  price  and in  very good condition for the  age, so  I  bought it.   I've ridden  it  4  years now , and the only work  it  needs  now  is the rear axle  and hubs replaced because the  splines are worn  out  allowing  the   wheels to wobble  some  on the  shaft.  Got a  new axle and  hubs for it , but  need to   install them.  Newer  models would come with  more bells and whistles but so  far this  one  has done everything I want it to and  the  winch  has  pulled  my  neighbours  2  wheel  drive quads out  of  sticky   situations  several  times.  I added   2   accessory  sockets  so  I  can   power  12 volt  accessories  on  either  the  front or  rear  racks (or both) .  I don't see myself  replacing it anytime soon.  It goes  as  fast  as I want it to  on the trails here, and I've never had any  problem  pulling  anything with it. As long  as  it  has traction, it'll  pull so  I'm  not  needing any   bigger power  ...so  far; and at  73 I'm  not really  into  racing machines  myself . The old  Honda  goes  fast enough to  get into  trouble  as it is.

That's full time 4WD, right? My friend had a Honda Recon that was similar, great quad. The pic below is him on it in the water..the atv would go through anything..lol!

Yup .  Full time  4x4.  When  I  lived in the north , I  had a snowmobile that was a blast to ride; but  down here we  just don't normally get   enough snow for a sled;  so the quad gets  used year round. I've got  "Bear Claw"  tires  front  and rear   so  it gets  a pretty fair grip  on all terrain..  Have  gotten stopped a  couple of times  high centering it ,  but  getting  off and  lifting front  or rear  and it'll  pull itself  off  the high center  ok.  I  generally  run  second in line  or tail  end  when  out  with the  buds.. I let them break the trail  and  if they  get  bogged   down ,  out come the winch  cable  to  pull them  back. I  use  my  4x4  truck the same way ..  LOL..    go  in with it  in 2wd  and when  it  gets sticky  then  into  4x4 to  turn  around  and try  a different route..  A  lot  easier  on the  machines and  my  pocket book that  way.  The winch is to  pull the  other guys  out  of the  muck..  LOL...  I  learned  not  to  be  one of those  that  says   "Wow,  had  fun  on the  ride .... only  cost  a couple of  grand to  fix the rig"..  I prefer  to spend what cash I have on toys,  not repairs.

Edited by davefrombc
fixed typos

• 1 month later...

On the tail end of kids and figured we better find something we could do together, after getting them realized we should have got them waaaaaay sooner. The kids would've really enjoyed it, as it is they can't keep their noses out of the electronics long enough to even want to go out.  Pretty sad, and shame on us for not doing it sooner.  But we love it and has created some great one on one time.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, freedomflyer63 said:

On the tail end of kids and figured we better find something we could do together, after getting them realized we should have got them waaaaaay sooner. The kids would've really enjoyed it, as it is they can't keep their noses out of the electronics long enough to even want to go out.  Pretty sad, and shame on us for not doing it sooner.  But we love it and has created some great one on one time.

That's a very good point about the electronics. I have a 9 year and 2 year old. I'm thinking of getting a small quad for my 9 year old daughter.