Quantcast

How did you get into Quads?

I always wanted one when I was a kid but mom & dad couldnt afford it. I grew up got married had kids,all that responsible adult stuff  and just forgot about it till around 2 years ago.The kids are all grown up and mostly moved out now.No wife to worry about so I figured what the heck. I found an old 04 kodiak 400 for a reasonable price and oicked it up.Loving it ever since. I just wish someone had told me its not a cheap hobby lol.

I  have news for you  that  I'm sure you  know already .. There are no  cheap  hobbies or sports.  I haven't spent nearly as much on my quad than   I  have  on hunting and fishing gear .  Even  my tropical  fish  and  indoor gardening  likely cost me  more than  my  quad  if I took the time  to  list the  costs  LOL.  

• 2 weeks later...

A friend suggested I go to a off road  "church camp" up in Michigan with my son as a way to bond.

That was over five years ago and we are still going.  We also go to the Ironman race in Indiana together.

I never grew up with any toys, so I am a LATE bloomer.  

We do have a lot of fun, and I have a plow for one when we get snow.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Its pretty cool to see how everyone got into ATVs, I'm enjoying following this topic! I met a guy last month who bought his first quad at 55 and wished he bought one sooner. What I love about ATVs and now even Side x Sides is the transitions and growth you can make in the size and type of machine. As a kid with a 90cc quad you can work your way up and then end up going sport or utility ATV 90 - 250 - 400 - 700, etc., something like that. Nowadays if you can afford a newer model, you've got bells and whistles like power steering and other nice comfort features on utility atvs. I recall as a kid wishing I could get that little 60 or 90 series suzuki at the the small dealer in NJ, but we couldn't. Got my first atv used at like 20 years old (I'm 44 now) and that was a yamaha warrior that needed a ton of work. I then bit the bullet and bought a new bayou 220 with 3 friends who did the same..from there it kept going!

• Like 1

Me and a buddy bought our first quads back in 1985 when Suzuki brought out the Quad Sport / Quad Racer line,  we each purchased a brand new 230 quad sport,  at age 16 it was a great bike, we ran those poor quads until they where completely worn out, never had a machine since that owed me so little,  I have had a string of different ones ever since, but never any that have so endeared themselves to me.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2019 at 7:13 AM, Jerryd68 said:

Me and a buddy bought our first quads back in 1985 when Suzuki brought out the Quad Sport / Quad Racer line,  we each purchased a brand new 230 quad sport,  at age 16 it was a great bike, we ran those poor quads until they where completely worn out, never had a machine since that owed me so little,  I have had a string of different ones ever since, but never any that have so endeared themselves to me.

How much were they back then, do you remember?

I was about 12 when I was visiting my friend's house in AL.  He had an 02 sportsman 500 sitting in the garage.  I had never given quads any thought before that.  I asked him "Can you teach me how to ride it?"  He said "sure".  I started out in low trying to get the hang of the throttle and all... then we left for home...  I started dreaming about getting one and riding them and all- didnt know of anyone back home (VA) that had a quad.  Drove my fam crazy with my ocd about them..  The next year we went back and he still had that same bike and let me ride it more and in high this time (still taking it slow)  by the end of the visit, I was taking it at over 40mph and jumping and mudding it.  Then last year I was down there he had just got his truck and we went trail riding and I drove the 500 and he drove his truck.  At the end of the visit he looked on CL for me and the day before we left he took me out and I picked up a 97 bayou 300.  It was my pride and joy until I started looking into what was wrong with it....  quickly went from $1000 into it to $2800 into it before I finally sold it a couple weeks back (learned a lot and lost a lot of $$$)  Now my joyrider/work horse is an 04 sportsman 500 (walk down memory lane lol)  now I'm fixing other people's quads and am up to 9 that I own (fixing up to sell)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just bought an ATV last year to give it a try. Have been dirt biking for years but have always been curious how much different an ATV is.

So far I love how much more I can get through. Rock crawling, mud running, deep puddles, the ATV is fun to tackle with.

The only thing I am not liking so far is how much more maintenance I need to do on an ATV compared to a bike...

Initially I was going to get a dirt bike, this was mainly because I was inspired to race dirt bikes this inspiration came from the movie "Motocrossed" at the time i was about 8 years old. For those people who don't know the movie, well its mainly about a girl who impersonates her crippled brother in order to give him the opportunity of corporate sponsorship. well my mother the wonderful caring mother that she was told me that i had to wait until i was 10 to get a dirt bike... well fast forward and we were on our way to the dealership.

sadly however the bike that i wanted and  at the price my mother could afford sold the same day we went back for it.  now after loosing interest and at the age of 15 my father bought a 95 polaris sportsman 400 and said that when I turned 16 i could ride it.  well i fell in love with it and in fact i am trying to bring the bike back to  working order of course after it sat for about 5-6 years....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...