Quantcast

Kodiak yamaha is blowing air out of intake

So i replaced the head gasket on my kodiak yamaha and it is not starting i checked and made sure it had spark and was getting gas and then i noticed that it was blowing air out of the intake. i checked the exhaust and i can hold it shut with my hand but i cant hold the intake shut. Any idea what is going on?? Thanks 

You might have bent a valve.. Has it got compression now?

Is it firing at all, trying to start, or nothing happening at all ?

You could try starting it, then take the spark plug out and check whether there is fuel getting on it.. Then attach it to the lead, rest the plug on the engine, and watch for spark while you crank it over.

The carby should still be fine unless you were trying to get it running by adjusting the carby.

If the cam timing was off by very much at all, the valve can be being held open when the piston comes up, then the piston hits the valve and it bends the head of the valve sideways..  Bent valve.  It happens !

Take the sparkplug out and put your finger in/over the hole, kick the engine over and it should blow your finger out with force. If you can hold your finger in there.. you have not got enough compression.

You need to pull the head off again obviously, then you'll need a spring compressor, or a friend that has one you can borrow to get the valves out,  then you need one or possibly two new valves and they need to be "lapped in", which you do using something called grinding paste. You can buy grinding paste in small tubs from an engineering supply shop, and they will also be able to sell you something called a valve sucker.. that's what we call them here in N.Z. anyway.. It's to hold and work the valve when you are doing the lapping in. It would be a good idea to get the manual or have a read up on valve lapping.. it's simple but needs pictures really to show what you are trying to achieve, which is an air tight seal of the valve.

When you've done the lapping in, it's really important to clean and oil the valve seats before you put it back together, they need a hard rub with a damp cloth to get the abrasive compound dust out of the metal seat, and, you need to drop the lapped in valves into place, flip the head upside down and fill the combustion chamber with petrol and make sure that the valves are sealing totally.. If you get the result shown in books they should be right.

Then you need to fit new valve guide seals, lube everything and put the valve springs, with the metal washers that go between the springs and the head(very important, look for them when you are taking the valves out or they can get lost), back on. The valve springs are held by little tapered wedges which can get lost easily, especially as you let the spring compressor off as you are assembling, so make sure they are properly seated, and keep your hand over them as you let the compressor off.

Once the head is reassembled  you are back at where you were when you did the head gasket.. Take care to get the cam timing right, get everything absolutely clean, especially all the sealing surfaces, and you should be right.

Get a manual, they are free to download off here, and have a read about the valve lapping, or google it and have a read up with pictures.

Hey thanks alot for the info. I tore the head off and found that the valves look fine but that when the piston hit the valve it pushed the valve straight up and broke the connecter above the valve. I dont know what its called but is it a hard fix looks like it could be…

It was the exhaust valve connection that was broken so i guess that was what was causing air to back up. The intake valve looks great

You should flip the head over and fill the combustion chamber with petrol and see they don't leak.

The part that broke will be called a rocker arm probably.

How far from the edge of the piston was the valve mark on the head ?

If it's near the edge it can effect the rings.

Was it much of a dent ?

No, find the bolt that holds the shaft they pivot on, take it out, and the pin will pull or push/tap out...  I'd think.. There will be washers and springs.. take note.

It would probably be best to get a set of arms. They are probably made to break and have a thin place on them, look around there for fatigue if you want, but I'd get a set.. They would have all been close to breaking if both valves hit and made similar dents.

Hopefully they did their job and saved anything more major. There are a lot of cars with rockers like it and the precaution seems to work fairly well.

Yeah there is some danger there as Dave suggests. It's also possible that the top ring lands on the piston could be pressed down, clamping the rings.

That's why I asked how far from the edge. Perhaps a picture would be a good idea...

If you are sure the valves aren't leaking, then they didn't get much strain on them, they bend really easily.

Ok so i checked the piston and there is a dent only on the exhaust side. They factory indentions are bigger than i remember them being when i had looked at the piston earlier. That caused me to believe that the valves had deepened the dents. According to the pics online the dent is small. 
I checked for cracks and there are none.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Uglyside38
      I have a 1988 Quadrunner 250 2wd. My brother in law sold it to my son for $20...had been sitting outside for several years. Got it home and had it running in about 30 mins. Ran it a bit and then went to looking at the carb as it was having trouble idling. Was getting it pretty close, then started losing spark...Also, it wouldn't start up every time...only about 1 in 5 tries. Anyway...now, it has what I can only describe as "intermittent" spark. I can get 1 light spark right when the start button is pressed and sometimes one when it's released...but none while cranking. 🤷‍♂️

I have replaced the spark plug, ignition coil/wire, and traced wires best I can. I noticed a couple frayed wires at the pickup coil where it enters the case. So, now I have the cover off, stator and pickup coil out and trying to test the coil. I do have about 114 ohms resistance for pickup best I can tell. And I can read minute voltage when I drag a magnet across it. Could it still be bad? Can a bad ignition switch/button cause this? (I did have the switch off to oil the choke cable)...pulling rope makes no difference though...any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!!! It's the intermittent part that's throwing me off! 

• By Mhatayas
      My uncle bought a Baja 250, 2006. Knew there was no spark since the get go. He don't know anything about quads so is getting me to help him try to get it running...

battery is bad so I connected battery charger to it to crank it over , cranks over well , but no spark .... 
      Lights and everything work fine , but with each crank over using the e start switch , the display reads 999 888 777 666 ... Right down to 000 and repeats itself . 

He managed to get a parts bike , I changed over the CDI and the coil and the stator from the parts bike and there was another black box by the voltage regulator I changed over ... I used my multimeter to confirm as much as I could works , it's hard without knowing which wires are which , and I cannot find any diagrams online for this bike ? 

Do you think it could be the Killswitch? There's so many wires coming from there I don't know where to start . Also I should mention it appears the fan on the front of the bike has been taken off (the wires have been cut too ) 

If this bike sparked it would run . The previous owner said he parked it one day and it just wouldn't start after.
    • By ResQ91
      Hi Guys!

New member and could really use your advice. I would have to believe this has been an issue for others but a search here came up with nothing......? (Probably me not doing search correctly)

I have an 87 Big Bear 350 YFM350FWT
      The OEM Mikuni BTM carb is shot and would rather replace than rebuild.
      It is no longer made and I have had good luck with NICHE carbs so I ordered a #K-CRB-0006 This was what they said was replacement when ordered. This Carb only uses 1 Throttle cable. The Slide is linked so it uses one. (OEM had 2nd cable coming through top to move slide)

Problem is when I ordered a replacement Cable from NICHE (#C-CBL-0061) the Cable wire is a little short, not allowing Throttle to return all the way down to Idle position. I called NICHE and they are at a loss. Haven't gotten back to me after 2+ weeks.

What would you recommend other than a carb rebuild?
      Can I just use 1 of the OEM cables (It is the right length) and snip/disconnect the other that went to top of Carb for Slide?
      Or ??

Thanks in advance for any advice you have!!

Dave
    • By Drillbit
      Hey all,
      I need some input on a problem I'm having with my Kodiak 400 that keeps fouling plugs. First off, I've done a lot of work to this thing, most of it all in good fun. Brake work, cv joints, u joints, carb kit, checked valve lash, compression good, changed all fluids, etc... My problem is it keeps fouling plugs very quickly. I can put a new (manual recommended plug) in and it starts right up, runs great, idles great, picks up good. Doesn't stutter at all. I ride it for 1/2 a mile, it cuts off and won't start back up. I let it sit overnight thinking maybe it got to hot. Try to start it the next day, nothing. Put a new plug in, fires right up, runs great for another 1/2 mile or so, dead. The plugs come out and look carbon fouled with dry black soot on them. I don't know if this is a fuel/air mixture problem or a ignition problem. A couple of things that I noticed is I never need to pull the choke out to start it. Also, when it starts it automatically idles high like an automatic choke would do, then it comes back down to a good idle. Also I noticed that the air/fuel mixture needle valve screw does nothing when I adjust it in or out. I can screw it all the way closed and the motor still runs and idles good. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm almost leaning to a ignition breaking down the plugs??
      Thanks! 
    • By McG75
      Hello I’m new here and was wondering is anyone knew of good replacement part numbers for front struts and rear shocks for this atv? I think I’ve found a new rear shock, that looks like the original but there is no dimensions or anything and was wondering if there are any afterMarket new front struts available. I know it’s a long shot but any help would be appreciated.