Quantcast

2008 Kawasaki Prairie 360 4x4 that won’t rev

Go to solution Solved by APExtreme1944,

Hello all, I have a Kawasaki that will idle perfect but won’t go over 10 mph.

Reset limp mode, checked belt sensor, it will go into 4 wheel drive but won’t rev up more than 2500 rpm’s. I have no lights blinking.

Ran perfect for months until I let it idle while cutting limbs on the trails. 
Had a new carb, air filter and gas, just won’t rev up.  
Assistance would be appreciated..

tks 

• 2 weeks later...

Might pay to try a new spark plug before spending too much more money.

And can you describe what it actually does when it won't go over 2500.. does it start killing and then restarting the engine, or does it slowly fade out of power, does opening the throttle faster or slower, or more or less make any difference, does it do it in neutral or only in gears and under a load ?

And if you download a service manual and have a look it will tell you how to check for trouble codes.. They are something you should check for.

It sounds kind of like a fuel restriction, but because of your description of how it happened, im not sure, it didn't get too hot while idling did it, they are air cooled an need a good amount of air flow to keep cool, but if it just happened its not that hot so maybe not. You could replace the plug like Mech suggested and maybe check for proper fuel flow, and maybe do a compression test, while you have the plug out. Just grabbing at straws here, more information as to how it runs would be helpful.

I just reread and if it has a carb then it won't have trouble codes.. disregard that. 

If it's got a carb though then I don't think it's going to have any limp mode either..  Can you explain what you meant by resetting the limp mode please.

And, I just read in here that some kawasaki limit the revs if the park brake is engaged, which it will do by reading the brake light voltage..  Might pay to check the park brake switch and operation.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought it was the carb needle not completely engaging (up and down) but i was wrong,  checking the spark arrestor to see if its clogged, its a 2008 never been cleaned.  Gonna check the valves, air box filter which is new, checking the coil also...it idles perfect, but when i put it in gear won't go over 10 mph, will rev to 2200 rpms not any higher in neutral. doesnt miss or shudder.  

On 3/7/2023 at 9:03 AM, APExtreme1944 said:

Reset limp mode, checked belt sensor, it will go into 4 wheel drive but won’t rev up more than 2500 rpm’s. I have no lights blinking.

tks 

I tested the belt switch with voltmeter, on ohms across switch I get no change when move the switch on and off. Could this be the problem?

On 3/18/2023 at 8:46 PM, Mech said:

Might pay to try a new spark plug before spending too much more money.

And can you describe what it actually does when it won't go over 2500.. does it start killing and then restarting the engine, or does it slowly fade out of power, does opening the throttle faster or slower, or more or less make any difference, does it do it in neutral or only in gears and under a load ?

And if you download a service manual and have a look it will tell you how to check for trouble codes.. They are something you should check for.

it accelerates to 2500 and that's it.. idles perfect. no spit or spudder

• Solution
On 3/18/2023 at 10:22 PM, Gwbarm said:

It sounds kind of like a fuel restriction, but because of your description of how it happened, im not sure, it didn't get too hot while idling did it, they are air cooled an need a good amount of air flow to keep cool, but if it just happened its not that hot so maybe not. You could replace the plug like Mech suggested and maybe check for proper fuel flow, and maybe do a compression test, while you have the plug out. Just grabbing at straws here, more information as to how it runs would be helpful.

Checked the fuel flow and its ok..

On 3/7/2023 at 9:03 AM, APExtreme1944 said:

tks 

I cleaned the belt switch with Electromotive Cleaner and still no change, get no reading with an ohm meter when I move the switch... I can't find a switch without buying the complete clutch cover. so can I jump the switch to see if that's the problem, would that affect anything if I jump the switch?  Thank you for all your assistance.     

On 4/13/2023 at 1:34 AM, Mech said:

So if you put it straight into second gear.  would it go faster or start struggling even earlier ?

It’s automatic, belt driven, goes same speed no matter what I do, even adding some choke. But the belt switch doesn’t work, using an ohm meter no reading on or off… so it must be in constant limp mode?

• Like 1

Yes,I believe that will do the trick.

BELT SWITCH BYPASS KIT

• Fits
    • All Brute Force, Prairie and Twin Peaks 700
  • Description
    • The Belt Switch (AKA CVT Switch, Belt Sensor, etc.) is a common failure point on your ATV that causes you to go into limp mode.  Kawasaki is the only manufacturer of this switch design.  Other ATV  manufacturers do have a belt switch because they believe it to be unnecessary (and so do we).  Install our Belt Switch Bypass Kit to ride worry free

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all for the replies and info.

I removed the breather hose and moved the diaphragm in the carb with my finger. The diaphragm would only move up about 3/4 of the way.  The spring had kinked at the top where it sets in the top cover. Which wouldn't allow for full throttle.  I removed the cover and repositioned the spring, this allowed the diaphragm to move up its full span.  I also changed the plug and adjusted the valves as suggested.  You guys are awesome. The machine runs like new.   Thank you