Quantcast

Injury Help!

To give abrief story..december i dislocated my thumb inward..tore the ligaments..orthopedic put it in a splint for like a month or 2..its been like 2-3 months since i was told i didnt need it anymore..and it still hurts sometimes..Now..isnt it supposed to be healed? Any oneknow any good exercises to make it heal faster? and also..does anyone know any protective yet flexible thumb/hand braces I can use to ride? Cuz thres no way Im giving up riding 2 days after i got my atv..

Side note..todayt and yesterday it started hurting alot more.but it cant be the riding because i did alot harder riding on my friend's bikes a few weeks ago..every weekend and it never hurt.

EDIT: Found a thumb brace on rocky mountain atv..anyone think it would help? All the reviews just mention wrists..even tho its a thumb brace -.-

Is there a change in the weather right now or is it going to rain in the next day or 2? When you have an injury like that you will never be the same. You will feel different levels of pain at different times. Did you go to any kind of rehab for it?

Not that I can think of..and no..just had the splint for like 2 months..got it off and she never told me anything else..it was fine for a while now just randomly started hurting bad

If it is unbarable go back to the doc. If it feels just real achy that is normal when you tear a ligament. When it gets soar just use some ice and advil. You can also try apply a small heat pak about 20-30 min before you ride. Also some ice after you are done riding.

Hard to explain..just randomly started hurting..never hurt at all before..but..ist like 90 degrees here outside and where i work its like 70..could be it..No clue why it JUST started hurting tho..maybe its the grips on the 450r or something..i dunno..they are pretty hard compared to the ones my friends have

totally agree w/Bot and MWKE.....also..if you remember from another post, my husband has the same 450 you do....he had a 400ex before...anywho, he said the throttle on the 450 pushes a LOT harder than the 400ex...he sometimes gets arm pump and his right hand hurts after a race. Alot of it could be injury, but a lot could be the throttle too...

my suggestion? get a thumb throttle extender. I have one on my 400 and LOVE IT. THen, you wouldn't be using your thumb as much, you could use the palm of your hand to push on the throttle :)

How long ago did you Get your First Subscription to Penthouse???? And how long afterward did your Thumb start Hurting????

:laugh:

Stupids Right....

Injuries like that Never Heal 100%.....

Coulda figured this comment would come of the situation. lol I agree with bot. My husband has some old knee injuries and his hurts before it rains and during. Its most likely going to be like that forever.

totally agree w/Bot and MWKE.....also..if you remember from another post, my husband has the same 450 you do....he had a 400ex before...anywho, he said the throttle on the 450 pushes a LOT harder than the 400ex...he sometimes gets arm pump and his right hand hurts after a race. Alot of it could be injury, but a lot could be the throttle too...

my suggestion? get a thumb throttle extender. I have one on my 400 and LOVE IT. THen, you wouldn't be using your thumb as much, you could use the palm of your hand to push on the throttle :)

yeah I suppose everyones right i kinda knew itd never heal 100%.unfortunatly and ..its the left hand lol..(THANK GOD!), Imma get some more comfortable grips and pray that the fact that it has been storming here the past 3 days is the culprit

thats so weird fox300..I dont understand why these injuries hurt when rain comes..wtf? its been storming here all day today and yesterday..my hand started hurting BAD like a day or 2 before it started raining..for like no reason, still hurting a tad bit..

It has to do with atmospheric pressure. Think of it like a barometer. When you have scar tissue on a ligament or tendon it will swell up when there is an increase in pressure. In return it puts pressure on nerve endings. It may cause some discomfort in real hot weather too. Welcome to the club. Have fun!

To give abrief story..december i dislocated my thumb inward..tore the ligaments..orthopedic put it in a splint for like a month or 2..its been like 2-3 months since i was told i didnt need it anymore..and it still hurts sometimes..Now..isnt it supposed to be healed? Any oneknow any good exercises to make it heal faster? and also..does anyone know any protective yet flexible thumb/hand braces I can use to ride? Cuz thres no way Im giving up riding 2 days after i got my atv..

Side note..todayt and yesterday it started hurting alot more.but it cant be the riding because i did alot harder riding on my friend's bikes a few weeks ago..every weekend and it never hurt.

EDIT: Found a thumb brace on rocky mountain atv..anyone think it would help? All the reviews just mention wrists..even tho its a thumb brace -.-

Try wearing the brace at night. It may (will) be uncomfortable at night but it helps alot. Got the same problem. Also just work on stretching it as much as you can, just stretch until you feel pressure not PAIN. I do this a lot at work and it helps me a bunch. Every time I land hard it brings it back up but we both know were not parking our quads. But really work on the stretching, it will help! Those little therapy balls you sqeeze help also. If you crack your knuckles stop now, it doesnt cause arthritis like people think but it will weaken the tendons and muscles in your hand fast.

You are right and wrong, The problem with wearing a brace to bed is that when you have no movement for any given time your ligaments and tendons will shorten making the area even tighter. Cracking your knuckles won't do squat to your muscles. The popping noise is gasses releasing from the joint capsole.

You are right and wrong, The problem with wearing a brace to bed is that when you have no movement for any given time your ligaments and tendons will shorten making the area even tighter. Cracking your knuckles won't do squat to your muscles. The popping noise is gasses releasing from the joint capsole.

Here is what i read..and believe its true becuz..when ever i sit around and just stretch my thumb it actually starts to feel better..the long its in 1 position..say in a brace..the more it hurts..and what i read was that ligaments and tendons or w/e dont have alot of blood flow so they heal faster with higher activity rather than rest like muscles..so basically just gotta stretch it everyday and its feeling better lately..even tho its been raining 4 days straight

THAT IS VERY TRUE. Think of it like this. If you keep you thumb in the neutral or relaxed position, your tendons and ligaments shrink in length. When this happens the mass of it has to go somewhere. So it fattens up and restricts the blood flow. Lack of blood flow is another major cause of pain. So when you stretch frequently you are keeping the tendon or ligament from bunching up in the middle. Does that make any sense?

THAT IS VERY TRUE. Think of it like this. If you keep you thumb in the neutral or relaxed position, your tendons and ligaments shrink in length. When this happens the mass of it has to go somewhere. So it fattens up and restricts the blood flow. Lack of blood flow is another major cause of pain. So when you stretch frequently you are keeping the tendon or ligament from bunching up in the middle. Does that make any sense?

Makes total sense..just gotta keep it movin because when it hurts really bad i just bare the pain and stretch it for like 5 minutes and it eventually lightens