Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

kfx450r

Diagnose my problem please!

Do you or did you when u first got your bike..find yourself getting stuck in neutral going from 1st to 2nd alot?

I had problems with that and getting all the way into the other gears. Adjust your shift lever a couple of notches.

..Well..it seems it gets stuck alot..like in first i click it straight to 2nd..but it doesnt go into 2nd..i have to let back down a little then reclick to 2nd..not all the time but most of the time. How do I adjust my shift lever..just the little bolt thing on the end of it? and would i adjust it up or down

Wow i just went check my shift and somethings definatly wrong.. I held in clutch..shifted to first..(bikes off whole time) ...then shifted to 2nd..shifter lever ALL the way up..neutral..not 2nd..I let off..pul it up again..no 2nd..after like 4 tries it finally goes into 2nd.. Wtf

Wow i just went check my shift and somethings definatly wrong.. I held in clutch..shifted to first..(bikes off whole time) ...then shifted to 2nd..shifter lever ALL the way up..neutral..not 2nd..I let off..pul it up again..no 2nd..after like 4 tries it finally goes into 2nd.. Wtf

I read somewhere that someone's clutch was slipping with a certain type of oil in their tranny side.. And i started thinking..Im still using stock honda tranny oil..I have the recommended 80/85w 2 stroke tranny oil or w/e ..Just never changed it...could this be why its starting to slip?

I read somewhere that someone's clutch was slipping with a certain type of oil in their tranny side.. And i started thinking..Im still using stock honda tranny oil..I have the recommended 80/85w 2 stroke tranny oil or w/e ..Just never changed it...could this be why its starting to slip?

That can be a reason, try changing the trans fluid. But, usually it slips when the wrong oil is added.

That can be a reason, try changing the trans fluid. But, usually it slips when the wrong oil is added.

Damn..well I just changed it from stock (never changed since i got it) and put in the 2 stroke 80/85w racing tranny oil everyone recommends..It just started raining so I'll see how it does tomorrow, and whats up with my bike..I hear people saying "you always will have shavings when u change oil" ..well Ive changed my engine oil and tranny oil and i havent seen a single shaving..Is something wrong

Damn..well I just changed it from stock (never changed since i got it) and put in the 2 stroke 80/85w racing tranny oil everyone recommends..It just started raining so I'll see how it does tomorrow, and whats up with my bike..I hear people saying "you always will have shavings when u change oil" ..well Ive changed my engine oil and tranny oil and i havent seen a single shaving..Is something wrong

if u run THICK oil your clutch will slip.

as far as shifting are the points on your shift star wore down? and u might even have a worn out shift cam or bent shift forks if u do the lower gears are a bitch to find!! or try your shift fork make sure it aint bent!

Damn so many replies so fast...Ok First of all..before like 30 minutes ago it was running the tranny oil from honda.. (as you know the trx450rs have the engine oil and tranny oil seperated) ..I changed it to 2 stroke 80/85w racing tranny oil..Everyone and their mothers with 450rs have said this is the best stuff. And i have no idea what my shifting poitnts and my shifting star is..but its like 4 weeks old.. And theres no moly in the tranny oil.. Im pretty sure the tranny oil i used is thin. And the engine oil I changed to was HP4 with Moly 10w40 ..and yes im 100000% positive I put it in the engine side..Not the tranny side so its not that..unless somehow it leaked to the transmission but ive never heard of that...BUT for my next oil change (should be soon) im switching to the HP4 fully synthetic oil.

as far as shifting are the points on your shift star wore down? and u might even have a worn out shift cam or bent shift forks if u do the lower gears are a bitch to find!! or try your shift fork make sure it aint bent!

Dude..i have no idea what a shift cam or shift forks are or where there located Lol

Damn so many replies so fast...Ok First of all..before like 30 minutes ago it was running the tranny oil from honda.. (as you know the trx450rs have the engine oil and tranny oil seperated) ..I changed it to 2 stroke 80/85w racing tranny oil..Everyone and their mothers with 450rs have said this is the best stuff. And i have no idea what my shifting poitnts and my shifting star is..but its like 4 weeks old.. And theres no moly in the tranny oil.. Im pretty sure the tranny oil i used is thin. And the engine oil I changed to was HP4 with Moly 10w40 ..and yes im 100000% positive I put it in the engine side..Not the tranny side so its not that..unless somehow it leaked to the transmission but ive never heard of that...BUT for my next oil change (should be soon) im switching to the HP4 fully synthetic oil.

Dude..i have no idea what a shift cam or shift forks are or where there located Lol \\

ok well the shift star is on the same side as the clutch, follow your shift fork (the shifter hooks to it) and it will be hooked to the shift star, make sure it sits even the (shift shaft) and that the hooks at the end of the shift shaft are sitting centerd so it is not being pulled up or down. check to see that the return spring is still hooked to the shaft it will be where the shaft comes through.

as far as the shift forks and shift cam well there inside the motor it's self, if the cam is worn down it will make shifting hard, also the forks might be bent causing a hard shift.

go to (ALBA Action Sports - Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki Kawasaki, Polaris, Can Am, Sea Doo Parts, Accessories, Riding Gear and More) and go to the OEM PART FINDER if u want to look inside the motor to get a better understanding.

I have never used anything but the stuff from the Honda shop. I won't use anything else.

I just read that you should never use a synthetic oil in your tranny. Causes slipping.

The stuff i used isnt synthetic, its what everyone at trx450r.org recommended, but Iam switching to synthetic honda oil for my engine side

Omg I cannot figure this out..Im starting to think it could be the jetting from the factory..I always heard they run a little off. I mean, To best explain whats happening goes like this

Im in 5th..Low to lower mid 5th, cruising.. then i NAIL it..and it doesnt rev or pull or bog for like half a second it just kinda stops THEN it pulls strong. Is that jetting or clutch.

That's your jetting. Mine does that too. The reason being on mine is I have an after market pipe and that's all. When I slam the throttle open I'm dumping more exhaust out than I'm takin in air. So it almost acts like it floods for a quick second. What elevation do you ride at? From the factory it is jetted to run at sea level. If you would have explained it like that along time ago I would have answered right away. The info I just gave was from my mechanic. Get your carb dialed in with a jet kit and that will go away.

That's your jetting. Mine does that too. The reason being on mine is I have an after market pipe and that's all. When I slam the throttle open I'm dumping more exhaust out than I'm takin in air. So it almost acts like it floods for a quick second. What elevation do you ride at? From the factory it is jetted to run at sea level. If you would have explained it like that along time ago I would have answered right away. The info I just gave was from my mechanic. Get your carb dialed in with a jet kit and that will go away.

..Well chit..cuz im at sea level....My full pipe and jet kit is coming early next week. PLEASE let it be the jetting, could it be that somethings broken in the carb, or dirty or something? Cant see how never messed with it, whats the chances that its all factory jetting and it will be fixed once i rejet

I highly doubt it is too..My friends says it will always do that pretty much..so imma just rejet and hope it goes away..Im so relieved

The way I worked around it was just trial and error. If I open fast but smoothly instead of all at once it doesn't do it. That is the only time it does it right? Just when you romp on it.

The way I worked around it was just trial and error. If I open fast but smoothly instead of all at once it doesn't do it. That is the only time it does it right? Just when you romp on it.

Yes..like i said low fifth and i pinned it instantly..

Mine will do it in neutral also. get your ride idling in Neutral and see if it still does it. If it's only happening in 5th gear there is another issue. Is your ride very throttle sensitive? Meaning does it stall easy from a stand still?

Mine will do it in neutral also. get your ride idling in Neutral and see if it still does it. If it's only happening in 5th gear there is another issue. Is your ride very throttle sensitive? Meaning does it stall easy from a stand still?

Yes, unless its been riden all day, it stalls alot. Not overly too much but more than id like.

But i dunno if its only in fifth..It does it in 4th too..ive never just nailed it in any other gear