Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

Yamaha Raptor: Simply Won't Move...

Raptorman224

OK, so I was riding my ATV and stuff..Recently I just installed a new Big Gun Rev Box thus making the RPMs rev higher and i Noticed that when i try to accelerate rapidly it really winds pretty high before going to a more normal tone.

So it starts well and you can find nuetral easily and all that stuff but when you go to shift into first or any gear for that matter; It just revs and the chain or anything will not move. I know its not stuck in Nuetral because the light goes off when you shift down but you still can't go anywhere.

Any Ideas?? I was thinking that the clutch is done possibly?

Think it could be the new Rev limiter that blew out the clutch or what?

Welcome to the site, I really don't see how the rev box would cause your tranny to go out. Maybe just bad luck. I would try taking the rev box out, put it back to how it was and try. If your quad runs fine without it, there's your answer. If it does the same thing you know you need to start digging in the tranny.

Do any of the other gears Pull?? that sounds like the classic 660 tranny nightmare:confused: if its not your clutch, 3rd gear is the most common to drop first, but not all the time, especially if rode hard or raced. Good luck with that aspect. now the rev box is a different story, they not only extend the revs, but they also change the spark curve, if it doesnt sound right, then its probably not right, changes in timing could cause other existing issues to surface(leaky valves, piston slap) but also they could be more minor like air/fuel mix or octane deficiencies causing spark knock from the newer more progressive spark timing. Good luck with it! Keep us posted!

Do any of the other gears Pull?? that sounds like the classic 660 tranny nightmare:confused: if its not your clutch, 3rd gear is the most common to drop first, but not all the time, especially if rode hard or raced. Good luck with that aspect. now the rev box is a different story, they not only extend the revs, but they also change the spark curve, if it doesnt sound right, then its probably not right, changes in timing could cause other existing issues to surface(leaky valves, piston slap) but also they could be more minor like air/fuel mix or octane deficiencies causing spark knock from the newer more progressive spark timing. Good luck with it! Keep us posted!

lol the 660 has a joke for a transmission!

you dont need a rev box on a 660 [is it a 660? no garage] you need a pipe and some jets. that's a torque engine, not a screamer.

clutch should not fail all at once without some weird noises or smells. Check the oil, I mean SMELL the oil. It will tell you.

Raptor trannies were only "bad" in 01, I have one I bought brand new, so does one son, no problems, and he services his after I badger him for 6 months to bring it here so I can do it! hahaha

Only 01 has different first and second gear ratios too, and no limiter on reverse [that can be scary].

Let's be specific about what you ride and then we can go from there OK?

Build your own page here buddy, so we can see what you have! It's fun!

:wink:

So i just got a call back from the shop..They said New clutch kit, Rear brake Disc, Calibration kit or something like that. and just about an hour and a half of labor for each part and with a grand total of.............................850$ dollars. I think i'm going to do the brakes myself but i'm not touching anything to do with the clutch. So i guess thats that, Unless anyone wants to come help me with my clutch : )

If you wanna load that up and drive it to Oregon, I'll be happy to help you- I have 2 raptors in the shop right now... and I'm sure I can beat the dealer's price.... let's see, Wisconsin to Oregon.....we need an excuse! Load it up and head for the Oregon Dunes, then stop by here on the way! that'll work. :wink:

Ha, Well i'm gonna order my own parts and just let them do the clutch only.. If my calculations are correct it should cut down the price to around 500-560 depending on how much the shop is going to charge me for labor. So its not too bad, but much better than 850 dollars. Also it takes them a week to get parts...what a joke; i can get mine in two days.

Ha, Well i'm gonna order my own parts and just let them do the clutch only.. If my calculations are correct it should cut down the price to around 500-560 depending on how much the shop is going to charge me for labor. So its not too bad, but much better than 850 dollars. Also it takes them a week to get parts...what a joke; i can get mine in two days.

a week????