Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

Plunge joint

bigdaddy

A plunge joint is the part that goes in between the axel and drive shaft for independent suspension. I've wrecked 3 in the past 2 months @ $200 a pop just for the part not labor. I put the first one in and it lasted a week. Thought maybe I put it in wrong. I ride pretty aggresively, maybe that's the problem. I pretend my big couch is a sport quad. It really likes the air.

i know wat ur talking about the plunge joint like u said is connected to the gear box that gives power to both the wheels... is it the axle ur breaking or is it the joint?wen u installed them did u pack it up with grease??? how do u ride do u do a lot of jumps?? wen it breaks does it just pop out or doest it completly snap??u installed ur self right??? so wen u did u had it on the right side and u didnt pull on the part that plunges right?

o bot u have seen an independent rear suspension atv right??? well on the axle their are to parts (im explaining the front axles). Now wen the axle is connected to the gear transfer case in the front of a 4x4 atv the connection is called a plunge joint so wen u hit a jump instead of it popping up in goes inward like a toilet plunger (hense plunge joint) it does not swivel at all it is fixed. Now wen u connect it to the hub which connects to the tire the axle swivels up down and left to right and doesnt plunge at all.. now for the rear im pretty sure it does the same thing as the front axle but not a 100% sure more like 80%

o bot u have seen an independent rear suspension atv right??? well on the axle their are to parts (im explaining the front axles). Now wen the axle is connected to the gear transfer case in the front of a 4x4 atv the connection is called a plunge joint so wen u hit a jump instead of it popping up in goes inward like a toilet plunger (hense plunge joint) it does not swivel at all it is fixed. Now wen u connect it to the hub which connects to the tire the axle swivels up down and left to right and doesnt plunge at all.. now for the rear im pretty sure it does the same thing as the front axle but not a 100% sure more like 80%
Thanks for the info, but I 'm a steel worker wants to see how/where it is breaking. So maybe I can help find a way to fix the problem with out a for sale sign.

As far as pictures go I'm not that savvy on the computer yet and also my quad is sitting in the machanics shop. I ordered some gorilla axels on friday. Should be here on Wednesday. Would also be a good idea to get some quality aftermarket shocks too. What do you think? I have a cool video of me jumping, just don't know how to load.

I'm looking for a good set of shocks mostly for trail riding, but, we have a public moto cross track closs that my kids really like to go to and so do I. I really like the ride of my big machine going thru the whoops, over the table tops, and double jumps. With the long wheel base it is like riding a couch. I really shouldn't be doing any of this stuff because I have a really screwed up back but it is truly a rush. That's why I'm trying to have the best of both worlds out of one machine. I am having trouble finding aftermarket products for can am suspensions at a fair price. As for shocks, what's the difference between one stage, two stage, three stage? What I think is it might be the springs? Can anyone explain?

This past weekend I managed to destroy yet another rear plunge joint on my outlander 800 max:aargh: Anyone have any ideas how to make this problem go away:skeptic:

Hey man what is happening is your hyper extending your axle and when you land your bike all 900#s is forcing that axle to bottom out on the inside of the axle cup. Theres not muck you can so without spending the cash. cheapest option is a nice set of shocks or contact gorilla-axle.com and get you some top of the line axles. Your shocks need to be as stiff as possible to keep them from shuving all the way back in the cups.