Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

kfx450r

450r Head Trouble

Well, in process of installing cam, all the clearances were in check timing was on on a new hotcam stage 2 and I started it up and the engine is much louder and i hear a littl rattling noise now and it dies after idling for like 3 minutes. Could this be a bent valve? I really dont wanna take off the head right now.

Well, in process of installing cam, all the clearances were in check timing was on on a new hotcam stage 2 and I started it up and the engine is much louder and i hear a littl rattling noise now and it dies after idling for like 3 minutes. Could this be a bent valve? I really dont wanna take off the head right now.

i would say your valve clearances are set wrong... are you sure you are checking your clearances correctly? 450r honda?

Sounds like your valves are rattling around. Check those clearances.

thanks for the responses, yeah i checked them right and they were in spec the first time i checked them and i just checked them again today though and 2 are off by .001 away from the .001 tolerence, which im saying is .002 tighter than spec so Im going to reshim, my cam sprocket bolts were loose and 1 was hanging half way out even tho i loctited them.

where've you been?

Where? Workin on my bike for the last few weeks and school and work Im usually always on the 450r.org site getting answers to all my engine problems. Going pick up the shims i need tomorrow and see if it all goes together good.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By HeWasRidinDirty
      I had to adjust the valves on this 500 (and  few other things) and I'm trying to get the cam timing right, and something is really out-of-whack here. It seems anyway. When I line up the dots like the service manual describes, the lobes on the 2 cams are in almost in the same position. According to the manual (and a youtube vid or 2) the lobes should be at aproximatley 10 oclock on the int and 2 oclock on the exhaust. These are nowhere near that. There must be a woodruff type key on the sprockets. I wonder if those are sheared off? Thanks for any input! 

• By David Miller
      Does anyone know how to access the check engine codes on a 2018 450 sportsman. Just changed battery and spark plug . It runs fine but the light is on and I need this to plow snow and need it reliable. Any ideas . Thanks
    • By Adrian Ciotinga
      Hello,
      I recently picked up an ‘07 KFX 700. All was going well, rode it about 40 miles, when it started bogging at low speeds. If I kept the revs higher, I was just fine. Also, a persistent issue since I picked it up is the fairly difficult start (but it is abnormally cold right now and the quad is jetted for the dunes at summertime).
      Regarding the complete lack of idle, I have to rev it a couple times to get it to idle after starting it, after which it’s 50/50 whether it remains idling. I don’t have low fuel, but all of this began after I rode it pretty hard and the radiator fan kicked in. Might be overheating, just wanted to hear your opinions.
    • By Chris Simpson
      Got a 99 or 2000 bayou 220. Its started making alot of noise, then the starter would spin freely. Took it apart and determined the three bolts in the starter clutch had sheared. Installed the new starter clutch and in the process, not realizing that Japanese motors turn counterclockwise, I turned the crankshaft clockwise about a half revolution so that the key holes would be on top of the crankshaft for easier installation of starter clutch. I get everything back together and try it. The pressure is so great that its very hard to pull with the pull start, the electric starter turns it over but it struggles greatly. A key issue could be this. When I engage the choke the starter will barely turn it over and you can't pull start at all because there's so much pressure. Like the back pressure cant be released once the carburetor is choked. I'm pretty sure by turning the crankshaft clockwise I screwed something up but I cannot figure out what it is. If there's anyone that can give some advice it will be greatly appreciated.
    • By Dwight Williams
      Ok, so I bought a 2006 bayou 250 for 200 bucks, kid couldn't start it and had no idea why it wouldn't run, I pulled the rope and felt what I thought was valve to piston contact, he wanted 500 and I talked him down to 200 and brought it home.  Sure enough, timing was way far out, timing chain incredibly loose.  So for fun I re-tensioned the timing chain and re timed it, got about 120lbs of compression, pretty low.  I cannot get the chain very tight but the the tensioner seems to work fine, the chain guides don't look very worn.  Also, when I took the head off the valves don't look bent and the piston has no discernible marks on it.  Is this an interference engine?  I sure thought I felt some contact with the pull rope but maybe no permanent damage was done?  Anyway, I plan on doing a full top end job as well as timing chain tensioners and hopefully that'll cure it.  Is there any reason other than chain stretch (I measured it and it's ok) or guide wear that would cause the chain to be so loose?  Thanks!

• Similar Tagged Content

• By Xyla Cat
      View File 2008 Kawasaki KFX 450R Service Manual
      2008 Kawasaki KFX 450R Service Manual
      Submitter Xyla Cat Submitted 08/25/2018 Category Kawasaki ATV  
    • By Xyla Cat
      2008 Kawasaki KFX 450R Service Manual
    • By 2 fast 4 u
      So i recently bought a Honda TRX 450r 05 kick start model i am the 3rd owner. this bike ripped when it was running but i ceased it.I freed up the piston but there is little compression now. i think i ran it out of oil but it was like 20hrs or so since the last oil change. My real question is that i heard you have to rebuild the top end every 15 hours is this true? Now i have bought a new big bore kit to replace the cylinder and the piston but i dont really want to have to rebuild it every 15hrs.
    • By jefafa123
      so I seem to have some trouble getting my old 85 trail boss to put out a spark. when I first got it it fired just fine but had no compression. After I rebuilt the top end and tried to start it there was no spark so I got on the internet and ordered a used coil that came off of the same bike and it worked and ran good for about two weeks. When I really got the engine going good it would lose power and start to bog down but would quickly recover after a few seconds. Then one day it wouldn't starts and I found that it was not firing at all. Now I`ve put a brand new coil and there is still no spark. Everyone I know seems to think its the cdi box. However when I search on the internet everything points to the stator. Is there a way of testing either one?