Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

J00F150

honda fourtrax 300

I have bought a (mid 90's)honda fourtrax 300, 2wd, shaft drive.

First question is the kick start does not always catch, it like every fourth stroke it catches to allow me to kick it over.

Second is, the slider in the carburator is not going up and down, when give gas.

Third is, how to I find exactley what year it is?

Thanks for any help

To identify the build year, Honda has added some logic to their model names. The last character refers to the year.

Here is the list:

Z = 1979

A = 1980

B = 1981

C = 1982

D = 1983

E = 1984

F = 1985

G = 1986

H = 1987

J = 1988

K = 1989

L = 1990

M = 1991

N = 1992

P = 1993

R = 1994

S = 1995

T = 1996

V = 1997

W = 1998

X = 1999

Y = 2000

1 = 2001

2 = 2002

3 = 2003

4 = 2004

5 = 2005

6 = 2006

7 = 2007

Cant help you on the kicker......

ON your Carb.....It could be that your Cable is Frozen a Bit....Try Lubing it....If that doesnt work I suggest a Good Carb cleaning....Might have some Gunk in there......Or just try a new cable....Shouldnt be more than 20 Bucks or so......

Hope any of these Suggestions help.....

MWKE

The kick starter catch is two pieces separated by a light spring that is supposed to collapse when you kick the lever. Either the spring is sticking, or maybe the teeth on the catch are rounded or damaged in some other way. Take the side cover off and isnpect the kick starter, the problem should be visible. As for the throttle, if the throttle moves and the slide does not, either the cable sheath is not anchored properly, there is too much slack in the cable, or the cable is broken. If the throttle is stuck, do what MWKE said.

just a tip: the first thing I do on old Hondas is change the OIL. It is usually cruddy and low when I get them. It is surprising how many items suddenly function with clean oil....I got an atc90 for the trip cuz it had a knock- it was out of oil!

Like MWKE says, LUBE everything in site! and you'll find you have a better ride than you thot. Hondas are TOUGH, keep em lubed and they are pretty hard to hurt.

adjust the valves too! that's easy. :wink:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By MarkinAR
      And the new 300FW is already wounded. Something got in a bind and blew the whole chunk of case out around the primary drive gear at the back of the motor. In the pic you can see the crack along the top...there is a big chunk missing from the bottom. And it won't roll....but the front and rear diffs both seem fine. Unfortunate. This looks to be a bit of a project. Still feels like it will shift through gears so i'm wondering if the ring and pinion just jumped a bit and blew something to pieces.  I have a parts bike.  But will this require the case to be split and transmission completely disassembled?  I assume you can't just slide the broken primary drive out and slide the replacement in?

• By Adrian Ciotinga
      So I’ve had this quad for the better part of a month, and it’s been hard to start since the day I bought it. Once it warms up it idles just fine and has plenty of power and starts no problem, but cold it takes 20 seconds minimum of straight cranking to start it.
      It’s not really too big of an issue, I’m just curious as to why it takes so long. Earlier today, it took me about 2 minutes of on/off cranking to get it to fire.
      i have attached a video of a cold start to show you what I mean.
      FullSizeRender.mov
    • By John Dunn III
      Just bought a LT 230 anything I should watch for. It runs and drive good. Just don't want no surprises 
    • By Adrian Ciotinga
      Hello,
      I recently picked up an ‘07 KFX 700. All was going well, rode it about 40 miles, when it started bogging at low speeds. If I kept the revs higher, I was just fine. Also, a persistent issue since I picked it up is the fairly difficult start (but it is abnormally cold right now and the quad is jetted for the dunes at summertime).
      Regarding the complete lack of idle, I have to rev it a couple times to get it to idle after starting it, after which it’s 50/50 whether it remains idling. I don’t have low fuel, but all of this began after I rode it pretty hard and the radiator fan kicked in. Might be overheating, just wanted to hear your opinions.
    • By Skhot K
      Hello! I picked up a YFM400 and I would love to talk shop with knowledgeable co-owners, and I'd love input about the machine from anyone here who clearly knows more than I do! Cheers from NY
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Guythis448
      Looking for help on wiring up stock wiring harness specifically for a '88 Honda TRX 300 
      If anyone could drop a link or send me a PM it would be much appreciated 
    • By Ashton Crawford
      Hello everyone, i have 2000 Polaris Trail Blazer 300 I’ve been stumped on for weeks. I’m having a lot of issues starting the quad. I cleaned the carb spotless because I thought it was a carb issue and bought a new fuel line because it wasn’t getting fuel. The carb gets fuel perfectly fine now but it won’t start. The spark plug I a little worn out but it’s good enough for just one start. The only time it does “start” is when I spray starter fluid into the carb. But it never stays on. It’ll start for a bout a second then just die out immediately even if you’re giving it some throttle and the choke is on. I have no clue what I should do. If you need more information, have questions, or have any slight idea what the issue would be and how I could resolve it. Please reply ASAP. Thank you.
    • By Alan Callison
      OK ya'll.My son bought this thing and was told its a Kaw Bayou 300. Maybe. I cant find any numbers on it.The one tag I did find its so faded as to be unreadable. Its a long shot but maybe someone can help ID it. Thanks in advance.

• By Jeff Wharton
      I have a 2000 Arctic Cat 300 4 wheeler. I have been having some carburetor issues. So i bought a new carb. Now I'm having these issues. The unit will start and idle fine, when i go to accelerate it wants to cut off. So i checked to make sure it was getting gas and the fuel filter will be full of gas and then once the carb opens the filter drains down and will not refill quick enough to run. So i checked to make sure gas was flowing to the filter and it is flowing fine through the line. I remove the filter and run the gas line directly to the carb and the engine idle fine and then it will run good as i ride it for about 10 minutes then it will start with the same issues again i cannot accelerate enough to move the 4 wheeler. Every time i accelerate the unit will cut off. What is wrong with this thing. My 400 Arctic Cat is doing the same thing except it will backfire, I'm lost i have tried everything i know to do, what am i missing here. Thanks for your help
    • By Maurais
      I’m looking for new replacement shocks (front & rear.) on my 1997 Kawasaki Bayou 300 2x4. New OEM shocks are upwards of $400. I haven’t pulled the rims off to check the eyelet to eyelet length but I’m hoping an expert on this site does know( I called Kawasaki direct yesterday and they were of know help.) Any technical help would be appreciated. TY fellow members. Vic