Quantcast

1994 yamaha blaster vs 2008 honda recon 420

ok i need this question answer quickly before i might make a fool of myself. my friend is picking up a 2008 honda recon 420 tomarrow and i dont know if i should race him or not. im pretty sure i would beat him but just going here to have some questions answered first.

1) obviously, he will beat me on the trails. but any hint on how to outrun him making him feel like an idiot?

2) any mods i might want to get before i race him? nothing toooo expensive

3)do you think i will win or not? im a pretty good rider and he used to have a big bear 400 that he rode like once a month and never got out of 3rd gear, so hes not the greatest rider. like they say. its the rider that wins the race, not the bike

Im not a Quad guy....Thats pretty well known......LOL....

However,,,,,Ive been around Lots of Blasters.....Most of them Modded to the hilt....Not sure if Ive ever been near a Stock one..... Anyway,,,, 400cc 4 Stroke Vs. 200CC 2 Stroke Motor to motor is pretty Even.....Now add the Weight of Rider and The rest of the Quad and there is where you will Gain....Lots of Races are Won in the HOLESHOT.....Straight line races that is.....I think you will take it.....

Just remember......To make it fair....Have a 3rd person Do the Hand Drop.....and another at the end to Judge......:yes:

300Ft is a Common Drag length for ATV's...:wink:

What does your Plug look like?????????

What adjustments did you do to make it work......Just Air Mix or did you replace any Jets???

The air screw is most effective between idle through 1/8 throttle.

The pilot (slow) jet is most effective between 1/8 through 1/4 throttle.

The slide valve is most effective between 1/8 through 1/2 throttle

The jet needle is most effective between 1/4 through 3/4 throttle.

The main jet is most effective between 3/4 through wide-open throttle.

Did you clean your filter????? If you dont have a Pre- Filter,,,,,Even a pair of your Moms Pantyhose will work.....

Dont tell my wife.....But I have a Pair of hers on my Sons Drilled Air box....:laugh:

• 4 weeks later...

the bowl drain screw is right next to the drain hose on the LH side. see it?

mixture can make it bog. are you mixing fuel and oil or using the pump and the tank?

try a new spark plug.

hey looking at your carb pics, your oil injection port is open to the atmosphere!

there's a lean vacuum leak problem! get a little block off nipple from an auto parts store and slide it on there! It's on the RH side, towards the front, it is the larger of the two, above that big plug but below the little brass plug. This carb is used on many bikes n stuff that's why it has so many blanks cast into it. It's not a BIG leak, but it's a leak.....that's where your injector pump pushes oil into the engine.

Did you change your main jet when you installed the pipe? you might look at that too. loosen the mounting clamp to the intake and rotate the carb so you can get the bowl off. the main jet is in a little holder up inside the bowl. it has a number on it. let us know what that number is OK? watch the color of your spark plug- if it is light brown, then this may be unnecessary. If not, maybe we should look at it.

Edited by Raptor8
more

the bowl drain screw is right next to the drain hose on the LH side. see it?

mixture can make it bog. are you mixing fuel and oil or using the pump and the tank?

try a new spark plug.

hey looking at your carb pics, your oil injection port is open to the atmosphere!

there's a lean vacuum leak problem! get a little block off nipple from an auto parts store and slide it on there! It's on the RH side, towards the front, it is the larger of the two, above that big plug but below the little brass plug. This carb is used on many bikes n stuff that's why it has so many blanks cast into it. It's not a BIG leak, but it's a leak.....that's where your injector pump pushes oil into the engine.

That is exactly why we added you to the team! Thanks for the great info Raptor8.

Edited by Raptor8