Quantcast

Announcing ATV World Record Attempt - 1200km of UAE Dunes

prossett

Really? Maybe not on their website, but I've just received full upper body armour... I'll take a pic for you guys.

Scott, very happy with the camera, man - it's pricy but you're getting top quality. Plus, I've even started using it for other filming, too!!!

Edited by prossett

• 2 weeks later...

ONE WEEK TO GO!!! 8)

Today the press release went out, and the first interview came in - felt like a superstar! :lol:

Guinness World Records Off-Road Quad Biking Attempt

Trio of Brothers in ‘Around the UAE’ Expedition

Fujairah, United Arab Emirates

Le Méridien Al Aqah will host a team of three Italian brothers, who are attempting to enter the Guinness World Records for a 1200km off-road trip, titled ‘Around the UAE’, driving quad bikes.

The event, organized by UAE resident Paolo Rossetti, will commence on January 16, from Sila in the Western Region, traversing ‘Rub al Khali or The Empty Quarter’ along the UAE borders and is scheduled to end at Le Méridien Al Aqah on January 24.

Rossetti, a motoring enthusiast, has lived in the UAE for the past nine years and hopes to create a new category in Guinness World Records for the longest off-road trip, as well as to set a national record in the UAE. His brothers, Andrea and Marco reside in Italy and all three of them will take turns driving the quads.

“Le Meridien Al Aqah recognizes the initiative of Rossetti and his team and encourages his sense of national identity, as well as the outdoor sports which have become so popular in the region,” said Patrick Antaki, General Manager, Le Méridien Al Aqah.

Rossetti and his brothers will take two KTM quad bikes the 525 XC and 450 XC, and a Ford Expedition support vehicle provided by Al Tayer Motors, on the trip, along with satellite connectivity, courtesy Red Bull.

“This trip brings together three brothers united by a spirit of adventure and a love for the outdoors. We have provided them with a Ford Expedition for this adventure as it is a rugged and spacious 4X4 adept at handling city roads as well as the rough desert terrain. It is a fitting support vehicle for this venture. We wish the Rossettis all success in their record-making attempt,” said Martin Penny, General Manager, Ford, Lincoln & Mercury, Al Tayer Motors.

“We are lucky to have the support of companies and groups that share with us the spirit of adventure, including Le Méridien Al Aqah,” said Rossetti.

A student development co-ordinator at UAE University, Rossetti was inspired to show students that goals can be set and achieved.

“I work with Emirati youth and we hope with this trip to inspire young people to challenge their comfort levels and to reach beyond the everyday, to stretch themselves towards achieving amazing dreams, just like the leaders of this country are doing by example and it is to them we dedicate this adventure,” added Rossetti.

Daily exploits from the trip will be posted on Emarat4x4 • Portal, an online fraternity of off-road enthusiasts based in the UAE and on the Rossetti’s Facebook site, every evening using the satellite connectivity provided by Red Bull. A film clip of the adventure will also be uploaded on YouTube later.

Le Méridien Al Aqah will arrange a press conference along for the team on their return, as well as hosting them overnight to recuperate from their journey. Representatives from other sponsors, Al Tayer Motors, KTM and Red Bull will also be present.

Fingers crossed, guys - it's not so much the business; it's that he's not going to be able to sit down for weeks after I'm done kicking his @ss! Today he reports he's made some headway, so wish us luck!

Today I picked up the Ford Expedition and learnt a lot about it.

Ford%20Expedition.JPG

See the photos yourselves, but let me tell you the effect is excellent - quality decals cover the entire car (also protecting the new paint) and overall the sheer momentous stance of the Expedition really speaks of adventure.

Ford%20Front.JPG

It is a 2009 model, brand new, and it has been lifted 2 inches to provide better ground clearance. Wider tyres have been fitted to maximize traction in soft sand, and the front bumper has been replaced with a hardcore off-road metal bumper - which amazingly is perfect in fit and contour shape! Quality finish, I have seen very few bumpers so well made and fitted!

Ford%20Metal%20Bumper.JPG

Additionally, metal skid plates have been installed, as well as an auxiliary fan (for summer, useful, for us, maybe) and also two spare tyres have been provided.

Ford%20Skid%20Plate.JPG

A+ work!

I drove home to Al Ain and it runs smooth and true, unlike the off-roading beast it is underneath its polish!

Ford%20Side.JPG

A pleasant surprise also on the consumption front, 17 litres to 100km average, and a full tank gives us autonomy of 650km - so much more than I had calculated!!! Man, now what am I going to do with all those gas canisters I bought!?!

Very happy, and my wife already remarked I should ask about keeping it after the trip... LOL

Ford%20Doors.JPG

Tomorrow I test in the sand! 8)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Back from the most intense off-roading trip of my life - simply awesome!

Now editing the video we took, over 60 hours of continuous recording - got it almost finished and will release on web.

We didn't match our proposal for the Guinness due to border restrictions but will go for a UAE National Record. We covered just over 1000km completely off-road from Liwa to Khor Kelba, crossing the northern-most part of the Empty Quarter.