Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

RockinTR

07 yfz 450 shift shaft

I have an 04 yfz 450 and today I went for a ride and it appears to me that the shaft that the shift pedal attaches to broke inside. I have not really looked at it yet cause i have to pull the entire engine and split the case to investigate more. I was just wondering if this is a common problem on the yfz's and if they made a stronger shaft to put in them. I only want to have to do this one time cause it's a lot of work.

I haven't heard any common issues. Have you taken off the shift lever and checked the spline? Check to see if it is stripped out. I'm not aware of any hardened aftermarket shift shafts.

I attached a parts diagram for you..:wink:

The shift lever is still solidly attached to the shaft, but the shaft spins freely in the transmission. You can pull the shaft in and out also. It's something on the inside. I am going to start pulling it all apart and split the case this weekend. I will figure out what happened at that time i guess. Thanks for the diagram. that will help.

The shift lever is still solidly attached to the shaft, but the shaft spins freely in the transmission. You can pull the shaft in and out also. It's something on the inside. I am going to start pulling it all apart and split the case this weekend. I will figure out what happened at that time i guess. Thanks for the diagram. that will help.

I bet you that shaft is coming out of the end plate bracket. Good luck with it!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By MarkinAR
      So this 98 Big Bear is my new project.  While I'm waiting on a few parts to show up, I'm working on a few small things.  I can shift 1-5 just fine, no problem at all (keep in mind, this is not running yet so just manual shifting sitting still).  However, I can't shift from 1-neutral.  I can hold down on the foot shifter, rock it a bit, and it will disengage the clutch so i can push it around in neutral as long as I keep pushing down on the shifter.  However, it will not downshift to neutral and stay there.  I know BB's have had some shifting difficulties in the past, but before I dive into this, have any of you fine folks encountered the same issue?  I'm tempted to just adjust the linkage a bit since these have an external linkage, but thought I'd toss the question to the group and see if there are any common issues to look for.
      Thanks guys...
    • By Tiffany Rowland
      I just got a 2007 Honda trx400ex and I'm looking for places to ride. Is there any website that gives a list of areas where atvs are allowed?
    • By Kevin Vlogs
      Hey Guys,
      I'm pretty new to ATV's and never owned a Polaris before. Lately I have noticed that it is very hard to shift from Park to any other gear. Is there an adjustment, or is that just the way they are?
    • By Mike Iadonixi
      Hi my son's 2005 Honda recon engine is seized any ideas on what or where to get another engine 
      Thanks to you guys i fixed my other son's four wheeler last month
      any help would be greatly appreciated
      Thanks
      Mike
    • By DrtyGrlKristin
      I'm curious what all the ladies ride on this site and why!
      I ride a 2008 Yamaha Rhino 700. Just added a new roll cage, dual exhaust and some other things. Here are a few pics:

I chose the Rhino because my arms and wrists get way too tired on a quad. I haven't tried a bike, but, I don't think my coordination would be good enough to handle that!
      I LOVE my Rhino though!!!!!!! It's the perfect machine for me.
      So, how about you????
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Kristpj
      I know this tooic has been addressed by many, I’ve looked through many forums and pages. I did not find anything like the problem i have.
      I have a 2007 Kingquad 450. I have a new fully charged battery. When i turn the key, the dash flashes and seems to struggle before getting fully lite. We can hear a small relay near the computer clicking, i think it is the fuel pump relay. When i turn off the engine kill switch and press the starting button relays click and all the power shuts off, i turn the key off, engine kill switch then start over, power is there. Atv will start with pull start, but not elextricly. if i try to use my winch, all power cuts and engine dies. 

Can anyone tell me what it may be? or has anyone fsced an issue like this before?
    • By chuckufarlie
      I have a 2018 Kodiak 450 EPS that just this past Sunday I ran through a bit of water.
      After the puddle the belt was slipping, so I pulled over and drained the ultramatic housing and the slipping problem went away. This was all in L and everything seemed to work fine. Later when I got on a road, I put it in H, but it still rode like it was in low... i.e. I had to rev it up a lot just to get to 30mph.
      When at home I pulled the ultramatic cover off to inspect, and it looked okay in there. Not much dirt, belt and everything are clean, but when I rev up the engine (with cage in place, of course), the belt doesn't get to the top of the clutch (maxes out about an inch or 1.5" from top of clutch, so maybe it is normal).. I put it back together but same thing... H seems like L still.
      Do you think the clutch needs to be further dissected for cleaning, or could this be an issue with the gear selector?

• By Steven Alter
      I have a 2018 450 and the digital gause has started flashing on an off while driving. The backlit also goes on and off. It is worse when I hit the gas. The battery died a few weeks ago and I jumped it but its been fine until last night. Called the dealer and showed them a vid and they recommend replacing the gauge and its like 600 bucks. The machine has less than 100 hours on it. I would really hate to have to change it out. also the unit sometimes has trouble starting. Any ideas?
    • By Admin
      View File 2014 Arctic Cat 450 ATV Service Manual
      2014 Arctic Cat 450 ATV Service Manual
      Submitter Admin Submitted 02/08/2019 Category Arctic Cat ATV  
    • By Admin
      2014 Arctic Cat 450 ATV Service Manual