Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Speed_Demond

Which year of the YFZ450 is better to you?

Hi, new to this site, and was wondering which YFZ450 year you like the best? I am looking into buying one but do not know which one to get, and would like your guy's opinion. Thanks!

Speed_Demond

ok thanks!! A quick question if i where to go into racing would the 450r be the best choice? Then for trail and leaserly riding does the latest one have a reverse? Thanks for your help!!

Speed_Demond

None of the YFZ's have reverse. What kind of racing are you wanting to do? Motocross or cross country? Big jumps or racing through trails?

The 07-08 yfz is going to be the best one for sure. For starters I haved owned the yfz since they came off the production line in 03. Yes that is right 2003. That summer is when they started to go into production. From 03-05 the yfz had some major issues with the way they were putting oil to the crank bearings. NOT enough oil and what is happening is the crank bearing locks up or u will spin the crank bearing. This means disaster to the motor. Usually u will take out the exhaust valves along with the jug and piston along with the crank. The cost to fix this is about 1500.00 plus. So beware when you buy a 03-05 yfz. And another issue with the yfz is HIGH MAINTANANCE! have to put new rings on the piston every 30-40 hours on the motor. I have been riding 25 plus years I've had 250r honda and suzuki banshee raptor honda 450. The yfz is by far the best hands down. About the reverse, if your riding a yfz u don't need reverse just GO FOR IT !!

And another issue with the yfz is HIGH MAINTANANCE! have to put new rings on the piston every 30-40 hours on the motor.

Who gave you that info? That would be about every other month on my quad.

The newer the better, with these new high tech, high maintinence motors, you can't be sure how well the last person took care of it. If you buy a used one especially an older one, '04 or '05, you could have a very dissapointing disaster on your hands. I would by new, it's the only way to be sure. If you ride trails or cross country, get the regular or SE model, if you plan to spend alot of time on the track get the R. If you do buy used try to buy from someone you know, or buy a twostroke, less moving parts, and they cost a fraction of what it costs to rebuild a hi-po fourstroke.

Ok thanks a lot guys for all the posts. Helps me out a lot. For me I am thinking about cross country or track, but mainly cross country because I am so used to the bumps I guess lol. Thank you all again for the posts, it really does help me choose.

Speed_Demond

The 450R is setup 50" wide for track stability. That could get a little tight in XC racing. 48" is about the max width for woods/XC riding.

Ok so I might want to go with the standard YFZ and not the race one for woods racing, and if I do want to go into the MX racing get the R>

I recommend getting the standard YFZ, get some +1 A-arms, some shocks and a GT Thunder rear linkage along with a steering stabilizer. That setup would put you at 48" wide and as stable as concrete. You could use that setup for both MX and XC.

Ok thanks!! I might even use my racing quad for just some riding around. Right now I have a '86 TRX200SX quad, I love the thing but its time to move up to the 400's or the 450's.

By all means, use it for racing and recreation. As long as you do frequent oil changes and oil filter clean and air filter clean it will run forever. With these 450 machines you need to change the oil about every 15-25 hours.

Ok thanks! Now if only the 08 yfz's had a tacometer I would be freaking stoked lol!! I know i will keep that air filter clean. Its hella hard on my '86 lol, go figure honda wasnt very smart way back then unlike they are now.

Who gave you that info? That would be about every other month on my quad.

JSR performance John Stallworth is the owner he is out of wichita kansas if u would like to talk to him about hours on the YFZ he would be glad to talk to u his number is 316-733-1936. He knows what he is talking about when it comes to quads very well known motor builder. he builds alot of the drag bikes that run at the little sahra in oklahoma.He works on the trx-450 and ltr450- suzuki along with all bikes.Has a big add in dirt wheels look on page 164 had my motor built by him and running strong he is not over priced about 1600.00 to do a bottom to top rebuild.

I completely understand about how much it takes to keep a 450 running strong but a new piston and rings every 30-40 hours? Break in time is 10-15 hours. There is no need to change a piston once a month. I raced 2000 miles on the same 2 stroke piston in one summer.

Wow, looks like i am going to be busy taking care of this quad when I get enough money to buy one. Thanks for all of the help guys!

You don't need to replace the piston that often. You don't change piston and rings unless you are upgrading to a higher compression piston or you are losing compression.

I completely understand about how much it takes to keep a 450 running strong but a new piston and rings every 30-40 hours? Break in time is 10-15 hours. There is no need to change a piston once a month. I raced 2000 miles on the same 2 stroke piston in one summer.

I did not say piston and rings I said new rings on the piston and 30-40 hours of racing is alot. One moto only last 10-15 min. How do you know how many miles you raced never have I seen a odometer on a race bike nor a dirt bike. Raced for 13 years in proam on a kx 80 and 125's my dad was all the time putting on new pistons and rings about 2 times a season.2000 miles on one motor is insane I must have been riding to hard but that is what it takes to win!!!! By the way were do u race in colorado like to check out some local tracks.

I did not say piston and rings I said new rings on the piston and 30-40 hours of racing is alot. One moto only last 10-15 min. How do you know how many miles you raced never have I seen a odometer on a race bike nor a dirt bike. Raced for 13 years in proam on a kx 80 and 125's my dad was all the time putting on new pistons and rings about 2 times a season.2000 miles on one motor is insane I must have been riding to hard but that is what it takes to win!!!! By the way were do u race in colorado like to check out some local tracks.

I know that I put 2000 miles on one piston because I did 2 seasons of desert racing in AZ on it. 10 races per season each race 100 miles.(That was on 2 wheels) I can see replacing rings on a race motor. Race motors rarely get broke in "properly" which would lead to needing to replace them that often.

I don't ride track so I can't help you on those. Need some trails in Co, I'm your man.

10-15 hours for break in. Keep nice CLEAN OIL in it and a CLEAN OIL FILTER along with a CLEAN AIR FILTER and your motor can last for years. I'm going strong on 2 seasons on my TRX450. The 450 motors are very sensitive so take care of it and it will take care of you.

Hey I was watching youtube and saw what the yfz can do. Im thinking about getting the 06 has anybody had a problems with this modle of the YFZ. I know i should get the newest model but i dont have that much cash lieing around. Thanks for the help

Speed_Demond