Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

overdooinit

07 sportsman wont run without pumping throttle

After a rollover and breaking out the Speedo Gauge my machine starts and will not stay running nor will it idle. Speedo is removed as it is non repairable. I can pump the throttle as it is running and that is the only way it will stay running but will not rev up. I can spray gas into air cleaner intake when air cleaner is out and it will rev up. I pulled the injector out and made sure there was gas getting to fuel rail when pump comes on and there is. One person told me you need the Speedo on for it to run fine but I took one off my 800EFI and it still does same thing and the 800 runs fine without the speedo on it. Any advice??? You can not ride machine like this. Like machine isn't getting proper amount of fuel through the injector. I highly doubt injector is bad being only 300 miles in change on the machine. Please don't tell me adjust throttle cable. Any Legit idea's??

Double check you gauge and the pod that holds the gauge. Seem to remember hearing the pods can cause electrical problems after a roll over. Also do you have access to another gauge?

I tried another guage off 08 800 EFI and does the same thing. The 800 runs fine without guage. I have the whole pod off right now. Looked at wires and nothing is wrong.

I tried another guage off 08 800 EFI and does the same thing. The 800 runs fine without guage. I have the whole pod off right now. Looked at wires and nothing is wrong.
Is the throtle cable still hooked up to the throttle positioning sensor?????? That is Throttle body setup, not to hard to knock something out wack. Sounds like the throttle position sensor is bad. That would be the next thing I would check.

It's still hooked up. When you squirt gas through intake machine runs fine. It's getting plenty of air just not any fuel. It's EFI so I'm wondering if something electric is holding it back??

Throttle position sensor.Would be my first guess, same set up as a car. I got on Ronnies mail order site and looked at the the diagrams of your EFI. Again my first guess would be throttle position sensor.

http://www.ronniesmailorder.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?category=ATVs&make=Polaris&year=2007&fveh=11305

Edited by BuckBilly

Throttle position sensor.Would be my first guess, same set up as a car. I got on Ronnies mail order site and looked at the the diagrams of your EFI. Again my first guess would be throttle position sensor.

Ronnie's Mail Order for atv parts, atv tires, snowmobile, watercraft and motorcycle featuring an OEM microfiche parts finder.

I agree, it sounds like a possible reason, just like on a car. I'm not familiar with the setup on that atv, but I would check that and whatever else there may be that is electrical and controls fuel flow. See if there is a fuel pump relay or injector relay, pressure regulator, etc.

TPS is fine. Machine is not getting enough fuel once it starts running. It's like something is cutting the fuel flow. I'm ready to fold.

TPS is fine. Machine is not getting enough fuel once it starts running. It's like something is cutting the fuel flow. I'm ready to fold.
How did you check the TPS????????????? Polaris has a computor that hooks up and will tell you what the problem is.

I pulled it off took a good look at it, swore at it and put it back in. I'm gonna get my buddy to come down with his and swap parts to figure it out.

After a rollover and breaking out the Speedo Gauge my machine starts and will not stay running nor will it idle. Speedo is removed as it is non repairable. I can pump the throttle as it is running and that is the only way it will stay running but will not rev up. I can spray gas into air cleaner intake when air cleaner is out and it will rev up. I pulled the injector out and made sure there was gas getting to fuel rail when pump comes on and there is. One person told me you need the Speedo on for it to run fine but I took one off my 800EFI and it still does same thing and the 800 runs fine without the speedo on it. Any advice??? You can not ride machine like this. Like machine isn't getting proper amount of fuel through the injector. I highly doubt injector is bad being only 300 miles in change on the machine. Please don't tell me adjust throttle cable. Any Legit idea's??

Is yours also an 800? Or is it a 450, 500, or 700...

Sounds like it could be the TPS sensor but as you get higher in CC's you may have some other possible stuff going on.

Mine is a 500EFI. Haven't messed with it again yet. I'm disgusted with it.

I bet you it's the throttle position sensor or something inside that throttle body.

Mine is a 500EFI. Haven't messed with it again yet. I'm disgusted with it.

You should test that TPS with a volt meter....when you're not disgusted anymore. :wink:

Do you have the operational instructions on performing that test task? If so that would be great. I've never had to test one before so I'm not familiar with it. Sounds like you know what your doing.

Do you have the operational instructions on performing that test task? If so that would be great. I've never had to test one before so I'm not familiar with it. Sounds like you know what your doing.

I'm not sure what that model has, but usually there is a positive wire for power, and another wire sending the voltage back to adjust air fuel mixture, based on throttle position. Check the signal wire voltage for fluctuation while you move the throttle. This should give you an idea if it's working. If it's not and is shorted, it may be signaling for closed throttle.

That has an electric fuel pump. You may want to check fuel pressure or see if the pump is delivering fuel and not just making noise.

I checked pressure coming into fuel rail. It's perfect. You can see injector initially spraying fuel looking through throttle body as well, ruling out injector. If you find specifics on TPS testing let me know.