Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

1994 Kawasaki Bayou 300 ignition problem.

JamesD

DirtDemon

I suppose thaat a component could test good under certain test and fail under others.

I seen this many times in the electronics field that i worked In for years.

I have also seen were they would fail as they reach a certain temperature.

The p/u coil being inside the engine is a good example. I bet if its tested again cold it would show voltage.

Also being a older bike it might have metal fragments built up around the magnet.

DirtDemon

I suppose thaat a component could test good under certain test and fail under others.

The p/u coil being inside the engine is a good example. I bet if its tested again cold it would show voltage.

Also being a older bike it might have metal fragments built up around the magnet.

In our case we removed and made sure there was no swarf on the magnet and checked it cold. Still no voltage.

DirtDemon

That is the unfortunate nature of electronic components. They may act and test fine one minute, and just stop working completely the next. I all know too well that chasing an electrical problem can be like chasing a ghost. I once had a car that would not charge the battery, it would run, the alternator was putting out the correct voltage, the battery was good. I could jump start it, and it would run until I shut it off, then nothing. Turned out my battery cables were shot. Replaced the cables and everything was fine from then on.

BTW, Atvertoo, I have no problem with my apostrophes, they's workin' just fine for me. Maybe it's your keyboard.

Well guys it sounds like we are getting everybody elses bike going, but we havent heard from JamesD.

He probably decided the HELL with this and took it to the KAW. shop.

I know one thing I would try anything to keep from replacing that HIGH DOLLAR CDI unit.

The weather has warmed up here in Illinois and my bike is running great So I am going with temperature sensative CDI box.

• 3 weeks later...

Dirt Demon, Thought I would post an update of what I found out about my 2000 Bayou.

As I stated before earlier about the theory of temperature sensative CDI box.

Well that theory has turned into a provin fact. For me to start my bike I need to warm the the CDI with a heat gun and the bike will fire right up otherwise it just sparks when you let off the the starter button. That tells me that it has a bad solder joint on the printed circut board that is sealed in silicone.

dave

Just an update on progress (or not) on the 1988 220 Bayou we are working on. Got a new pickup coil, and installed... still no output from the CDI, so we have ordered a new one ($240, yikes!).

I cut open the old CDI and found that after inserting the PCB inside the plastic container, the manufacturer filled the rest of the cavity with large grained sand and black rubber. With a heat gun I was able to remove enough of the rubber to reveal the bottom of the circuit board. Looks like the circuit was a bit more involved than I thought, as I can see solder points for at least one IC chip... so I gave up.

Will post again after new CDI arrives.

Atvertoo, Sounds like you got a hell of a buy for $240. were did you get it at?

Kaw dealer told me they were $380 dollars.

I am going to do some experimenting by using a CDI unti off of a older Ford pickup truck.

A mechanic friend of mine seems to think that it will work since the trigger voltage is the same as on the bike.

Will post my results.

Atvertoo, Sounds like you got a hell of a buy for $240. were did you get it at?

Kaw dealer told me they were $380 dollars.

I am going to do some experimenting by using a CDI unti off of a older Ford pickup truck.

A mechanic friend of mine seems to think that it will work since the trigger voltage is the same as on the bike.

Will post my results.

I ordered the CDI from atvworks.com. The price was actually $230, while cheapcycleparts.com had the unit for $10 more. I found a CDI kit for about $20. It was touted to be useable on small gas engines, and I thought it might be acceptable for the Bayou, but after seeing the circuit board in the old one, I decided to get an original one.

I believe I would of tried that kit anyway as long as it will take minimum trigger voltage to fire the coil.

I am trying to find out if the CDI unit advances timing electronicaly since it dont have a mechanical advanced. If it dont then the Ford CDI unit will work.

kf9nb - The CDI controlls the timing curve, so I don't think a unit from a Ford will work too well unless it happens to have a similar timing curve, and I would be willing to bet that it doesn't. Also, you mentioned that you get spark when you let off the start button, I know for a fact that a bad pickup coil will cause the same problem. I can't remember if you have replaced yours or not, but it would be cheaper than a CDI. Although the fact that your machine starts if you heat the CDI, does not relate to the pickup coil so... I just thought I would point out that a bad pickup will do that. A dealer is always going to have higher prices than online stores, dealer markup is usually around 30% or so. I always buy any remotely expensive O.E.M. parts from Servive Honda or Babbits Online myself.

Anyhow, good luck to both of you guys, hope you can get your machines up and running soon. Thanks for checking in and keeping us up to date.

kf9nb - Also, you mentioned that you get spark when you let off the start button, I know for a fact that a bad pickup coil will cause the same problem. I can't remember if you have replaced yours or not, but it would be cheaper than a CDI.

We have the same symptom... only sparks when the start button is hit and again on let-off; nothing in between. Since we have put in a new pickup coil and got the same symptom, we think CDI.

Have not heard from the supplier after ordering, so now I am scared that the CDI sits at some Japanese warehouse under several feet of mud and debris. Terrible tragedy for the people there.

No doubt, what happened over there is just awful. I would think that there is a warehouse full of parts right here in the states. I don't think it should have to be shipped from Japan. I am guessing that it is his CDI since he said it would start if he heated it up. I just though I would point that out, it would be nice if he only had to buy a pickup instead of a CDI.

Installed new CDI in 1988 Bayou 220, today. Checked for spark, and it looked good. Screwed plug in, primed a couple times, and it fired right up. Whew! That was a relief!

Hooked up original pickup coil, and it started, again. Anyone need a new pickup coil that is proven to be good?

Dirt Demon, since the temp has warmed up here in Illinois, my bayou fires right up without warming the CDI unit with a heat gun. So that pretty well rules out pickup coil.

Do you know what the RPM range is that actually starts to advance the timing?

I am still going to try a Ford CDI unit it just mite work if it dont all it would do is make the bike run retarded.

Dave

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I need help, I have a 1989 bayou 300, 2x4 it has no spark, I changed the cdi box the coil and spark plug also the regulator,  and added another block ground, and I still don't have any spark, should I pull the stator or does that have anything to do with it?

• 4 weeks later...

The  stator  and the  pick up  coil  or  just the  stator ?

The  stator  and pickup  coil  together produce  the  power and  pulse to  fire the  CDI  and  coil.

The stator  produces  the electricity  to  run the  machine  and  all its components and  accessories.  The pickup coil creates a  pulse  to trigger the  CDI  box at the  proper  point in the  cycle to  fire the  spark  coil.

• 1 year later...

Hey yall I have 3 bayou 300 and 1 rings great 1 has  same issue only start with pull start and last one died no spark all new cdi rectafire starter coil all selanoids and even replaced starter switch assy only get 1 little spark if I messed around with engine stop switch and starter button any ideas have stripped down to frame and cleaned every connection possible any help be great

• 5 months later...