Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

JamesD

1994 Kawasaki Bayou 300 ignition problem.

kf9nb - Also, you mentioned that you get spark when you let off the start button, I know for a fact that a bad pickup coil will cause the same problem. I can't remember if you have replaced yours or not, but it would be cheaper than a CDI.

We have the same symptom... only sparks when the start button is hit and again on let-off; nothing in between. Since we have put in a new pickup coil and got the same symptom, we think CDI.

Have not heard from the supplier after ordering, so now I am scared that the CDI sits at some Japanese warehouse under several feet of mud and debris. Terrible tragedy for the people there.

No doubt, what happened over there is just awful. I would think that there is a warehouse full of parts right here in the states. I don't think it should have to be shipped from Japan. I am guessing that it is his CDI since he said it would start if he heated it up. I just though I would point that out, it would be nice if he only had to buy a pickup instead of a CDI.

Installed new CDI in 1988 Bayou 220, today. Checked for spark, and it looked good. Screwed plug in, primed a couple times, and it fired right up. Whew! That was a relief!

Hooked up original pickup coil, and it started, again. Anyone need a new pickup coil that is proven to be good?

Dirt Demon, since the temp has warmed up here in Illinois, my bayou fires right up without warming the CDI unit with a heat gun. So that pretty well rules out pickup coil.

Do you know what the RPM range is that actually starts to advance the timing?

I am still going to try a Ford CDI unit it just mite work if it dont all it would do is make the bike run retarded.

Dave

I am having the same issues as original poster. Can someone tell me how to get to the pickup coil? Do I just remove the cover on the left side? I want to check the connectors. Thanks.

I have a problem with my 1989 300 bayou 2 wheel drive , i am getting no spark, i have changed the cdi box, the regulator the spark coil, added a secondary ground to block, and i still dont have spark , any suggestions ?

I need help, I have a 1989 bayou 300, 2x4 it has no spark, I changed the cdi box the coil and spark plug also the regulator,  and added another block ground, and I still don't have any spark, should I pull the stator or does that have anything to do with it?

The  problem could be in the stator or the pick up coil.  The regulator  shouldn't have  had anything to do  with the lack of spark.

The  stator  and the  pick up  coil  or  just the  stator ?

The  stator  and pickup  coil  together produce  the  power and  pulse to  fire the  CDI  and  coil.

The stator  produces  the electricity  to  run the  machine  and  all its components and  accessories.  The pickup coil creates a  pulse  to trigger the  CDI  box at the  proper  point in the  cycle to  fire the  spark  coil.

I replaced the cdi the pick up coil and the stator and regulator 

Since  it you  have  replaced  everything  in the  spark  circuit ,  it   is time  to  start  checking  again  to  make  sure  none  of the  wires  and connections  are  broken  or corroded. 

Here  is  the  wiring diagram for  your  quad.

Bayou KLF 300 Bayou wiring 1986-2004.jpg

Note  there  is  a   connection from the  starter  relay to the  CDI  box to   deliver  power from the relay to the  CDI when the  starter  is running . When the  starter  is not running   the  CDI  gets  its  power from the  ignition circuit.

So are you say it's a broken wire, or you think the starter switchis bad on the handle bars,  or the starter solenoid by the cdi box is bad?

Any one of them  could be the  problem.  That's  where it comes to  tracing  circuits  and wires  until  the  problem   is  found .  I  can't  point to  any  one   thing and say  "That's it" . All  I  can  do  is  suggest  places  to   look .

Hey yall I have 3 bayou 300 and 1 rings great 1 has  same issue only start with pull start and last one died no spark all new cdi rectafire starter coil all selanoids and even replaced starter switch assy only get 1 little spark if I messed around with engine stop switch and starter button any ideas have stripped down to frame and cleaned every connection possible any help be great

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• 2004 Yamaha Kodiak 400 4x4 wiring problem

Hello All,
      I am looking for any help or suggestion that I might be able to get on how to wire a '04 Kodiak 400 4x4 motor into a Coleman Outfitters / Hisun 400 4x4 Utv. This machine had the Kodiak motor installed and was running until someone stripped the wiring to install new harness. They destroyed the old harness so it of little use now. We have a new harness for the Utv and part of the wiring to the Kodiak CDI and Voltage regulator/rectifier is in place. For now I am just trying to find a good diagram of the wiring needed to Power up the motor. Any help with this part of our issue would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to help my son this machine running since he bought into this nightmare.
      Thank you,

By res2fr, in Yamaha ATV Forum

• 8 replies
    • 1997 Kawasaki Bayou 300 2x4 (klf300b) Runs Bad

Hey I have a 97 bayou 300 2x4 (klf300b) that i bought for 1000 last June and sunk another 1000 into it already.  When i went to look at it, the seller had warmed it up before hand (he was riding it when I got there).  it ran good so i bought it and took it home that evening... next morning it wouldn't hardly start.  I discovered the carb was clogged, there was chunks of rust in the fuel valve, the choke lever was missing and other things.  I have since cleaned the carb and replaced the fuel valve and gas lines and cleaned out the gas tank and cap.   Enough background on it, the problem is this:  It floods if i push it past half throttle in 4th and 5th gear even going downhill and shifting correctly.  It also has to idle and warm up when you first start it which is really annoying now that its cold...  It also smokes blue smoke for about 15 seconds when started cold-  does not smoke at all once warm but the exhaust still smells like burnt metal.  A friend told me that it didn't have enough compression.  I also found out that the valves are a common cause for low compression on Kawasakis..  I have never adjusted valves before-  the most I've ever got into a engine was a head gasket on a riding mower so I'm new to this.  My goal is to get this bike running and starting cold like a top-  should i tear down and rebuild the top end?  What should i try first?  I tore the carb apart and rebuilt it and fiddled with the air screw and nothing changed.  I also ordered a compression test kit that should be coming in soon. Ive also considered just selling it for like $500 and taking the hit-  Id rather not sink too much more into this machine..  lol

By JacobSlabach, in Kawasaki ATV Forum

• 207 replies
    • tgb blade, 425cc no spark

Good afternoon, or morning. I have a three-year-old TGB blade 425Cc
      that appeared to just die. I have had ongoing problems with the battery going flat the past year, replacement battery seem to resolve it, then it started again. Therefore I've been using a much larger battery and jump leads. At the weekend whilst using it to tow a trailer (it works on a smallholding). It stalled and refused to start thereafter, checking all the fuses, including the sneaky one. They appear all to be fine. No breaks or burns, lights or work starter motor turns, information panel seems to light up and give me clear information regarding fuel and other things. Removal of spark plug highlights there was no spark, testing of spark plug highlights that spark plug works. I have looked for a manual as the general information given at the point of sale is woefully poor. I have looked online for guidance and have seen a variety of similar issues highlighting that a compilation of components need to be all replaced, whilst another person refutes this. I've checked fuel which it is three quarters full, no fuel leak or blockage appears to be in existence. Therefore with my basic knowledge, I have ground to a point where I don't know where to proceed. There does not appear to be a kill switch within the system, other than on the right hand brake lever, which needs to be engaged prior to pressing the ignition button. I am aware that the cable that is fitted into this section is adrift, and looking at it consists of two thin strips like a fork tongue, which can be inserted back into location. I am aware that this was damaged some months ago and has been adrift, so I am not sure if this is the causal factor, as it is unlikely, as until recently. Apart from jumpstarting, The wee Beastly thing was working. Does anybody have any insight. I have checked it for broken wires, damp, and living in North Devon, England. We are prone to mist, which in reality is low. Cloud as we are 750 feet above sea level. WD-40 is part of my took kit  in this location.

By graham.froom, in General Talk - Anything Goes!

• 2 replies
    • New to atv's Looking for help on a Kawasaki Bayou 220

I am new to atv's but not to mechanical work.  I was given a 2001 Kawasaki Bayou 220.  It looks to have a locked up engine.  I am going to tear down the top end and take photos. of the tear down as I go.  Anyone have any suggestion?

By viper0906, in New Members Area!

• 2 replies
    • 2001 Kawasaki Bayou 220 Engine Locked Up

Need help with teardown of 2001 Bayou 220.  New to atv's but not to mechanical work.  I was given this ATV and went to turn engine over by pull rope and the engine is locked up.  Pulled spark plug no change.  Was going to tear down top end.  Any suggestions or tricks before I proceed?

By viper0906, in Kawasaki ATV Forum

• 8 replies
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Reece K.
      I just recently bought a 1994 Yamaha Timberwolf 4x4 from a buddy who had the wheeler sitting in his garage for 7 years. I got it home and fired it up pushed it out of the garage and tried to shift it and it wouldn't shift. First it would click like it was shifting, but the wheeler wouldn't move and when I hit the gas it revved up like I was in nuetral. After trying some more it became stuck in 1st gear and wouldnt shift at all. But it later broke loose agian and acts like it is in neutral again. I took the motor off the machine to make it easier to work on.After asking friends they were convinced it was a clutch problem but after opening up the casing for the clutch I don't see anything out of the ordinary and am concerned that it may be a transmission problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.
    • By brad1
      I have a 2003 Bayou 250. Suddenly, it won't start with the start switch. No clicking, no neutral light on. It will pull start fine. The battery is new. Any idea what to look at first? Thanks.
    • By ut1w7b
      I have a 94 sportsman 400. It sat for several years before i got it. I have cleaned the carb it will start and run for about 5 min then it will flood. I have torn it down and cant see anything wrong. has anyone else ran into this problem any hel would be great.
    • By kingjosk12
      A week ago I could not even get close to starting it. But now I adjusted the valves (exhaust valve was not closed). i got it running but would not run without choke. i adjusted the float because it was to low tried starting it up again and it would not even start. So i went back and looked at the valves and the valve was now open again so i adjusted it and it started right up and ran perfect without choke. So i put it all back together thinking it was ready to go. Started it up and let it run for a little bit. i turned it off and tried starting it again there was NOTHING. took it apart and there was 0 compression and the exhaust valve was open again. I am completely lost need help PLEASE!!!:aargh:
    • By katasha2
      I took apart the carburator to clean out and I can't remember exactly where the springs that are inside the float are supposed to go I've tried to look up schematics but I think I am missing a spring maybe need helpt:confused::confused: