Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

ATVsToday

Help stop the february 10th ban on youth ohvs

BLUERIBBON COALITION ACTION ALERT!

Attention BRC Action Alert Subscriber,

HELP STOP THE FEBRUARY 10TH BAN ON YOUTH OHVS

On February 10, 2009, a new law regulating lead content in certain products will go into effect. This could adversely affect companies that manufacture or distribute youth model all-terrain vehicles and off-highway motorcycles. Dealers that sell and service those products would be impacted as well.

The Specialty Vehicle Institute of America (SVIA) and the Motorcycle Industry Council (MIC) have urgently requested the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and federal legislators to take a common sense approach to implementation of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act's lead provisions.

SVIA and MIC have announced their intention to join several of their member companies in filing petitions with the CPSC for emergency relief from the provisions. They are also seeking a temporary final rule to exempt ATV and motorcycle parts in order to avoid major disruptions to enthusiasts, to the member companies' businesses, and to the companies' dealer network of thousands of small, independent businesses, which employ tens of thousands of Americans.

BRC is asking all OHV users to contact the Consumer Product Safety Commission and their elected officials today!

Use the following links to send your comments and to contact your Congressional Representatives.

Included below is a sample letter regarding the potential ban of all youth-oriented OHVs, which starts February 10, 2009.

CPSC Comment Page

Send a message to CPSC's Information Center

BRC Rapid Response Center to contact Members of Congress

Rapid Response Center - BlueRibbon Coalition

Thanks in advance for your support,

Ric Foster

Public Lands Department Manager

BlueRibbon Coalition

PS: BRC needs your support via membership and donations to help us continue our efforts to champion responsible OHV access to public lands. To sign up as a member or to make a donation, Click Here:

Sample Letter:

As a member of the OHV community, I want to voice my strong support for petitions filed recently by the Motorcycle Industry Council and Specialty Vehicle Institute of America to seek emergency relief from provisions, which go into effect on February 10, 2009.

While I do support efforts by the Consumer Product Safety Commission to protect children from lead content in products that truly present a risk to children, I do not believe the Commission intended that metal parts on ATVs and motorcycles be included in that regulation because they do not present a lead risk to children.

As the spring OHV recreation season rapidly approaches, I ask you to support efforts to exclude youth-oriented OHVs - and the businesses that sell and service them - from being unnecessarily impacted by this ban, especially during this economic crisis.

Sincerely,

Your name &

Address

An old friend of mine wrote me this e-mail:

I really wanted to buy this for my daughter in a few months for her birthday.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/LTZ50ZK9

Please write to the CPSIA to help lift, the unjustified lead ban, on kids dirtbikes and ATV's

Kids are not eating their motorcycles. It's insanity.

This new law should be specifically targeting the small junky dangerous lead toys made out of china.

Issues & legislation of interest to motorcyclists

Kids are not eating their motorcycles. It's insanity.

That's exactly what I said when I heard about that. This is completely ridiculous, any kids that would be chewing on motorcycles and quads are either too young or too stupid to be riding them anyway.

Kind of funny they did not include the 50 cc DUI scooters that kids can ride to. They also forgot to add lawn mowers to the list to. More kids use lawn mowers that ATVs or bikes.

i always eat the clutch and brake handle at least once a week to keep my weight down, Sometimes i tend to eat some engine components, it contains oils that are good for my skin

On February 10, 2009, a new law regulating lead content in certain products went into effect. This is adversely affecting companies that manufacture or distribute youth model all-terrain vehicles and off-highway motorcycles. Dealers that sell and service those products are being impacted as well.

The Specialty Vehicle Institute of America (SVIA) and the Motorcycle Industry Council (MIC) have urgently requested the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and federal legislators to take a common sense approach to implementation of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act's lead provisions.

SVIA and MIC have filed petitions with the CPSC for emergency relief from the provisions. They are also seeking a temporary final rule to exempt ATV and motorcycle parts in order to avoid major disruptions to enthusiasts, to the member companies' businesses, and to the companies' dealer network of thousands of small, independent businesses, which employ tens of thousands of Americans.

BRC is asking all OHV users to continue this contact the Consumer Product Safety Commission and their elected officials today!

Use the following links to send your comments and to contact your Congressional Representatives and the CPSC. Included below is a sample letter regarding the functional ban of all youth-oriented OHVs, which started February 10, 2009.

BRC Letter to CPSC

http://www.sharetrails.org/uploads/BRC_Letter_to_CPSC_02.19.09_FINAL.pdf

CPSC Comment Page

BRC Rapid Response Center to contact Members of Congress

Rapid Response Center - BlueRibbon Coalition

Missouri State Representative Tom Self

Representative Tom Self | Official Website

Congressional Western Caucus Letter

http://www.sharetrails.org/uploads/CPSC_Western_Caucus_Letter_Feb_6_20090001.pdf

CPSC NAM Request for Emergency Stay

http://www.sharetrails.org/files/CPSC-NAM-Request-for-Emergency-Stay.pdf

Thanks in advance for your support,

Don Amador

Western Representative

BlueRibbon Coalition

(925) 625-6287

PS: BRC needs your support via membership and donations to help us continue our efforts to champion responsible OHV access to public lands. To sign up as a member or to make a donation, visit http://www.sharetrails.org/donate

Sample Letter:

As a member of the OHV community, I want to voice my strong support for petitions filed by the Motorcycle Industry Council and Specialty Vehicle Institute of America to seek emergency relief from provisions, which went into effect on February 10, 2009.

While I do support efforts by the Consumer Product Safety Commission to protect children from lead content in products that truly present a risk to children, I do not believe the Commission intended that metal parts on ATVs and motorcycles be included in that regulation because they do not present a lead risk to children.

As the spring OHV recreation season rapidly approaches and dealers face the prospect of being put out of business, I ask you to support efforts to exclude youth-oriented OHVs from being unnecessarily impacted by this ban.

Sincerely,

Your name &

Address

Ambassador, BlueRibbon Coalition

State Environmental Affairs Coordinator, CA4WDC

PO BOX 127

Mokelumne Hill, CA 95245

C: (209) 304-7693

Email: [email protected]; or [email protected]

“Protecting recreational access and the economic value it brings to America’s rural communities means you’ll be leaving the world a better place; it is a worthy and noble cause to provide for a future America.” Greg Mumm, Executive Director, BlueRibbon Coalition, Jan. 2009

# # #

The BlueRibbon Coalition is a national recreation group that champions responsible use of public lands and waters, and encourages individual environmental stewardship. It represents over 10,000 individual members and 1,200 organization and business members, for a combined total of over 600,000 recreationists nationwide. 1-800-258-3742. BlueRibbon Coalition: Preserving your recreational access to public lands.