Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

mikaveli

08 YFZ450 Want to change sprocket

i need some more low end someone told me to change my sprocket i have 14T they said i could go to a 13T wouldnt have to take any links out is that true? would that give me more low end or is there anything that would give me more :biggrin:

Yes, that is correct. Certain pipes give better low end performance than others. There are also different stages of Hot Cams that offer different gains; most of them are for low to mid range.

Changing to a smaller sprocket will give you more low end performance. I think that droping a tooth in the front may not be the best idea, you will lose alot of top end speed,you will lose traction and you will run the gears out faster. You will be spinning your tires like mad and you will be on the rev limiter before you know it. Some people do it and seem to like the result but, going up a tooth or two on the rear would be better IMO, you will get a little bit better low end without sacrificing too much top end speed. Changing rear sprockets is just as easy and the change is more subtle, however, a two tooth change may require a link added to the chain. Generally, a one tooth change in front is comparable to a 3 tooth change in back. Like Bot said, exhaust and cam upgrades will help you with more power that will help you pull the stock gearing a bit better, obviously that would be the best way to go but if you only want to spend about $20 to $35 dollars or so, sprockets are much cheaper.

Generally, a one tooth change in front is comparable to a 3 tooth change in back.

You would probably know better than I but I thought it was 1 front = 2 rear

I have Two Brother exhaust (slip on) and have K&N filter top off it seem i got good power and speed it dies alot when i try to take hills and when it gets hot it likes to stall when i take off thought maybe a

Boyesen QuickShot 2 would take care of it dont have money for it now a friend gave me the sproket thought it would help

If you got the sprocket, try it, you can always put it back if you don't like it, it is easy enough. But it sounds like you have other problems. Did you re-jet the carb when you added the exhaust and filter? You may be running that thing a bit lean, lean is bad. I would make sure your jetting is ok before you ride it again. Pull your plug out, what does it look like?

You would probably know better than I but I thought it was 1 front = 2 rear

It is usually between 2.5 and 3 to 1. My LTR is 14/37 which is like 2.65 to 1, I believe stock gearing on the Honda is 13/38 which is around 2.9. Most ATV's have a setup that is within this range.

Sounds good. I bought a one tooth larger sprocket for my Lakota because 1st gear is pretty useless and I wanted more top end but I never installed it.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Flipper Tiffany Roper Jones
      All I have been through everything. Bought brand new.
      Throttle safety switch 
      Cam and rockers
      ECM
      Carborator
      Stator
      Fuel safety switch 
      Battery
      Everything every forum has spoken of I've bought sealed airbox completely tight unplugged black wire on trans. I have literally done everything in the book.Checked oil today full of gas anyone no anything what might b wrong. Next I'm taking head off and making sure valves seat any ideas.
    • By Finsdad
      Im new to the forum and the quad I just got. I want to change oil in in. Its almost impossible to find anything on-line. I know it takes 10w40 and know the oil filter location. What oil should I use? Is there a cross reference for oil filter. The closest dealer to me is an hour away. I have NAPA close and like the WIX or Napa gold filters. Also is where can I get a Manuel for it? Thanks
    • By w_r_e
      Can anyone point me to a good set of instructions for changing front diff oil on a 1987 Suzuki LT4WD? I can almost guess which bolts are drain & fill... but I've been wrong before... 😆 
      I found some partial posts on other forums and they linked out to dead images and whatnot. Any help appreciated. 
      This thing is running pretty good, got the front brakes back to life, electric start works fine, seat cover fixed up, plastics stitched back together...
      BEFORE (last week):

AFTER (today):

• By Belmontie
      Hi bought this quad with a few leaks and other issues which thanks to excellent advice from these forums I thought I’d sorted them till I washed it down and found oil underneath. 
      It is coming from the seal around the gear changer pedal as it looks like someone has banged the housing flat on one side. Knowing how easily aluminium is broken I don’t wanna risk tapping it back into shape. Would a new seal fit or would the distortion of the housing render it useless.
      thanks in advance 
    • By johncb
      I had the local garage change the oil and filter in my machine and ever since they changed it there has been an oil leak. Taken it back several times and they can't figure out the problem.
  • Similar Tagged Content

• Guest Fox300exchic
      By Guest Fox300exchic
      The Hop-Up: You may be saying to yourself, “that’s a chick bike,” and you’re right. But honestly, it’s so much more than that. It’s one badass bike. http://www.quadmagazine.com/quad/features/article/0,24942,1587044,00.html
    • Guest Fox300exchic
      By Guest Fox300exchic
      If we had a dollar for every time the question “Which is really faster, the 700 or the 450?” shows up in our inbox, mailbox, or voicemail, we’d be putting this magazine together from a bungalow on a barely inhabited tropical isle named Quadhama.
      http://www.quadmagazine.com/quad/features/article/0,24942,1603755,00.html
    • By drifterss454
      im hoping that somebody could help me out changing my shifter on my 2014 outlander 400 max xt.,I kinda need step by step instructions,a brain aneurysm a few years ago has left me kinda useless sfiguring things out anymore,i think that hey took away the part of my brain that actually worked,lol,i did get the seat and plastics off,cover off the box,thats it,geez,i put more hurst shifters in my cars,cams,domes,cranksetc and now I cant figure out how to put a new shifter in my bike,more snow coming tonight,so, I"ll need my plow,,so I hope that somebody can guide me in changing the shifter,thanks all
    • By copedaddy
      My wife has a well used 325 Trail Boss and recently she noticed there is a distinct rhythmic clicking or popping noise that sounds like its coming from the chain/ sprocket area. Increases with speed and happens in fwd or reverse.
      I jacked up the rear of the quad and rotated the tires and there is no sound when the drivetrain is unloaded. Any suggestions on what this could be or how to troubleshoot? Im new to 4-wheelers, so this might be something pretty simple but I just dont have much experience working with them.
      Would appreciate any help or suggestions
    • By MystikFix
      hey guys, i am new to the forums but could use a little help. i am trying to change the seal where the drive shaft enters the front differetial on my 2012 polaris sportsman. i am under the impression that all i need to do is knock out the roll pin on the saft and the whole assembly will slide back so i can get to that seal. is this correct? i have taken off my wheel and given the pin a few whacks using a punch and it hasnt budged. i even tried using some WD40 with the same results. am i doing something wrong or is it just being stubborn? any suggestions to make my life a little easier. there isnt a lot of room down there to work with a hammer with my shock there. any help for a noobie would be greatly appreciated.