Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

mjwillie

99 TRX FW Valve setting quesion

Hello all.....Brand new to the site......Been fun reading other peoples problems

My problem is I am installing a new Head/Cam/Cover on a 99 TRXFW. Before you ask I do have a manual......The book states "line up the "T" mark and adjust.......Make sure you are on the compression stroke"........If the cam has been removed how can you tell if you are on the compression stroke and not on the exhaust stroke?

My worry is I will install everything and it will be 180 out.....Can anyone help me?

???? That is a good question??? With the cam out are your valves still moving up and down when you turn the motor? On the compression stroke all the valves will be closed.

Of course the valves are not moving the cam is out and so are the rockers.....The question is all in the ignition system......and figuring out compression vs exhaust so that we send a spark at the right time

A thought is that the coil opens on both the exhaust and the compression stroke allowing a spark every 360 degrees......But I can't find that in my book

Thanks for the response

Bot, do you feel silly about asking that question?:hitself: Don't be too hard on yourself though, we all have brainfarts.

If the cam is out of the motor it won't matter, TDC is TDC, the position of the cam is what determines if you are on the compression or exhaust stroke. You are correct about the ignition, it runs off the crank and sparks each time the crank turns. This is called a wasted spark ignition. The only way the ignition system can tell the differece between different strokes is to run it off the cam instead of the crank. Just make sure all your marks line up when you put it back together.

Edited by DirtDemon

Don't you hate when you look into stuff to much. I started to get all complex in my mind when the answer is obvious. I need to remember to think simple first.

Don't you hate when you look into stuff to much. I started to get all complex in my mind when the answer is obvious. I need to remember to think simple first.

I understand completely, I do that all the time. I wrack my brain trying to figure out some simple elementary thing when the answer is right in front of my eyes.

I understand completely, I do that all the time. I wrack my brain trying to figure out some simple elementary thing when the answer is right in front of my eyes.

i def. know where your coming from lol spent an hour one day screwing w/ my wifes 4 wheeler before i noticed that she had turned the gas to reserve oops! ya so it wont start cuz you ran the reserve tank out ......so ya uhmmmmmm im going to go smash my face against the nearest tree for a bit lol.

we all do it.

i def. know where your coming from lol spent an hour one day screwing w/ my wifes 4 wheeler before i noticed that she had turned the gas to reserve oops! ya so it wont start cuz you ran the reserve tank out ......so ya uhmmmmmm im going to go smash my face against the nearest tree for a bit lol.

we all do it.

LMAO. yep thats about the feeling!

with the cam out the compression stroke will be with the piston at the top of the cylinder that is when it compresses and causes the fire. You want the piston at the top of the cylinder to be on the top of the compression stroke.

With the cam out there is no compression stroke or exhaust stroke, it is the position of the cam that determines which stroke you are on.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By JacobSlabach
      So my parents have not let me get my license yet and I need to get around to gets parts and stuff.  Answer: Yamaha CW50 scooter.  This is a 2-cycle self-mixing scooter that so far, I am really surprised with the power output and speed.  It reaches about 45mph since the speedo has been disconnected and has plenty of power for two riders.  Its stupid looking, but with some work and a title and plate, it'll take me around town..  My issue is this:  No key.  I bought it for $150 from a friend and he bought it from someone for $100 who wired in a switch in place of the ignition.  That guy got it form his neighbor who's renter left it behind.  The scooter will run with this switch on or off (kill switch on handlebar kills engine)  To get it tiled and a plate so its road worthy, I need to get the ignition working either by a replacement key or a new ignition.  All wires are cut to the ignition and the switch turned on the power to the signal light switch.  Also, the 2-cycle oil was leaking out the carb, through the air filter and onto the scooter.  also, it runs great, but its making blue smoke with throttle and the muffler is wet with oil.

(I have new signal lights for it btw)  So the issues I have with it summed up:
      No key (need new ignition) smokes burnt out headlight-  can I replace them with LEDs?
    • By Chris Abshire
      Changed fuel pump, has spark and good compression. Tried a gravity feed trick and still couldnt get it to fire off. But it does try to crank when i spray starter fluid. With pump connected and fuel hose off, it should still pump fuel, correct ? But its not. And i cant find anything online about this bike. Has less than 200 hrs, so barely gets ridden (wifes). New fuel in tank. Any suggestions would help. Thanx....
    • By James Roscoe
      What is the best fuel mix ratio to use in a 250. I have deleted the oil injector. I have seen anything from 50:1 to 32:1. Figured someone here would have had experience and know the best ratio.
    • By Dave Ayoub
      Ok i am not quick to jump on a forum and post a question without doing my own part and trying to research and solve the problem myself but I cannot find any definitive information anywhere about my problem. I have a Big Bear 350 that I picked up very cheap which had been sitting in a field for years. I am not new to building wheelers but this one has me beat. After rebuilding top end and replacing the carb it fires right up. The vin has some number worn off from being next to the shifter but from the parts in the clutch i assume it is early since 87 parts seem to be the only ones that match. Thats when the plot thickened. 
      Reverse works fine but when in the forward gears it would not go past 1st and was hard to get into neutral. ie. a it took a million clicks up to thump into 1 and as many down to find neutral. still never getting past 1st. within minutes i could hear metal screeching and whirling around in the clutch side of the motor. I took the cover off to find that 3 out of the 4 springs on the centrifugal clutch had broken and were shredded. Also the black mechanism that the pawl on shift shaft grabs moves was loose so it wasnt always grab to change the gear on the transmission. I tightened that mech, and replaced the springs assuming it would solve the problem since the gears were not actually changing from the lever and the carrier should obviously not only have 1 spring left. 
      After putting everything back together it did go into 1st fairly easy but then i again couldnt get it back to N without a million clicks down and couldnt get it to go past 1st. I did one time get it into a higher gear who knows what one but i gained some speed and dropped rpm.
      If i jack both the front and the back wheels off the ground and run the motor it becomes much easier to shift and i can get it to run through the gears pretty well. Usually going into N without a huge fight. not perfect but it does hit neutral and roar while spinning the wheels instead of gain rpm and with the power. 
      I have tried every possible position on the clutch adjustment screw without any noticeable result. I think this could potentially be where my problem lies at this point.
      does anyone know if the case is supposed to be threaded? because mine is not. obviously it seems as though it should be since every other bike ive touched has been. i even took the cover off my quadrunner to make sure it wasnt crazy.
      when the screw is adjusted and the jam nut tightened the screw will just slide back out since there is no threading in the case. accomplishing nothing. 

Does anyone have any insight on any of this? Are my plates stuck, Centrif clutch worn out, case stripped or something else crazy im over looking? 

• By ATVNetwork
      When it comes to adding more power to your ATV, the first thing that usually comes to mind is bolting on a slip-on exhaust. However, that usually means you are also bolting on a lot more noise. HMF do...
      More...
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By arvellaspoon
      When I push down on the rear brake pedal, it makes the left hand brake very sloppy. Is there a way to adjust that? I have a 2007 Suzuki Vinson
    • By kingjosk12
      A week ago I could not even get close to starting it. But now I adjusted the valves (exhaust valve was not closed). i got it running but would not run without choke. i adjusted the float because it was to low tried starting it up again and it would not even start. So i went back and looked at the valves and the valve was now open again so i adjusted it and it started right up and ran perfect without choke. So i put it all back together thinking it was ready to go. Started it up and let it run for a little bit. i turned it off and tried starting it again there was NOTHING. took it apart and there was 0 compression and the exhaust valve was open again. I am completely lost need help PLEASE!!!:aargh:
    • By toonces
      Doing this for the first time on the old 2011 Grizz 700 and have a few q's?
      I've found valve clearance specs as such...
      Intake 0.09–0.13 mm (0.0035–0.0051 in)
      Exhaust 0.16–0.20 mm (0.0063–0.0079 in)
      If anyone can confirm that'd be great. I've been told to adjust the valve clearances to the top of the range in anticipation that they will tighten over time. This sound about right?
      Are these the only two o-rings I'll need to replace? Both #18s in the schematic...
      Yamaha ATV Parts 2011 GRIZZLY 700EPS 4WD HUNTER - YFM7FGPHA CYLINDER HEAD Diagram
      And finally, which of those two valve covers are the intake and exhaust?
      Also, was wondering about replacing my two gear box oil drain plugs and engine oil plug with the magnetic Gold Plugs. But at a price of $60 I'm wondering if they're actually worth it. Do people regularly find metal bits attached to these plugs?
      Thanks
    • By HomerBill
      I have a 1996 King Quad 300 LT-F4WDX ATV
      I tried to install a carburetor rebuild kit but there were no instructions and I am unable to find them. Anybody know what the "Pilot Screw" is set at? The engine starts but seems to be flooding- very difficult to get the rpms up and engine acts flooded.
      I set the screw to 3 turns from closed. It is called the "Pilot Screw" on exploded views of the carb.
      It is a Mikuni BST 31 single carb.
      Thanks for any help!
      Bill Roberts
    • By JenWal85
      Hope someone can help with this one.
      We took our 1984 Honda TRX 200 to the shop and they had it for about 2 weeks before they finally called and said that they had cleaned the carb and changed the battery and that it had started up.
      We went and got it and when we got home it would not start so we called them, they said bring it back in, so we did. They called us the next day and said they changed the spark plug, and that it was running. We went and got it again and it ran when we drove it off the truck.
      We parked it for about an hour because we were going to get ready to go on a ride. Well, it wouldnt start again.
      So we called them and they said the last thing they could do was order a new CDI box and put that on. I decided to just buy it myself, so I didnt have to pay them labor again. We put the new one on today and its still not starting.
      Does anyone have any ideas on what we could check to see what in the world is going on with this thing?
      Please and Thank you