Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

my dad is tossing around the idea of selling his crf250x and getting a atv at the end of this year. He's looking at a Yamaha Wolverine 350 or 450 4x4 or a 350 raptor. He prefers 4x4 but if he finds a good deal on a 2 wheel drive, he wont ignore it. He's 6' 2" and 220 lbs. We'll just be riding trails, nothing serious. He doesn't want a utility four wheeler. Any suggestions?

The Raptor 350 is a good machine and that 6th gear really isn't needed,IMO. It is a new style Warrior, they are a lot of fun to throw around but you can be bouncing off the rev limiter in 6th and still want more.

the raptor 350 is way old tech nice bikes run and do there job but your talkin really old. There 2 valve air cool only motor even the newer aircooled also have oil cooled as well.

I wouldnt do the raptor 350 they ride weird when setting on them you feel mushed and want to stretch out like the footpegs set to far back. Go with something that sets a bit higher and you will enjoy more. If he dont want a utility but wants the 4x4 the wolverine would be the best as its 2x4 and 4x4 at a push of a button and has the same looks as the raptor 350.

From what you have told us, the Wolverine 450 would be the best choice of the quads you mentioned. If he has a little extra money to spend, the Can-Am Renegades would be ideal. Either the 500 or the 800 would have alot more power and are just better machines all around. They are spendy, but worth the extra $$ as the Wolverines and Raptor 350's are all underpowered IMO. Another thought is the Polaris Scrambler 500. They are a sport oriented 4x4 like the Wolverine and Renegade. They will be faster than the Wolverine and much less expensive than the Can-Am.

If the extra cash was available get the can am best way to go. Dont much like polaris much but thats just me.

Or just go all out on a sport bike all together there alot of fun to play on.

Yeah, you might want to check out a couple other sport quads besides the Raptor 350. Going from a rather quick machine like a CR 250F to a much slower machine like a Raptor 350 or Wolverine might be disapointing. A girl that I ride with rides a CR 250F, and she can almost keep up with me on my LTR 450. Granted, she is about 85 lbs. lighter than I am, but that bike is still fast. A Raptor 350 or Wolverine will be painfully slow in comparison.

Well dirt ya gotta remember thats a dirt bike lol there like half the wait of a atv in comparasin. compare the TRX450R and the CRF450R exact same motors but the dirt bike will scream past the ATV like its standing still lol.

If your truelly wanting fast than stay on the dirtbikes. In the trails most anything could be fun.

yeah, I'm definately sticking with my crf250r, its a little harder than a quad on rocky terrain, but I get used to it. My dad is 48 and is starting to feel the effects of not being in very good shape and then going riding on a bunch of rocky trails for 6 hours, he's REALLY sore for the next couple days. What atv would be about the same speed as either his or my crf250s? He also says reverse is a MUST.

IMO I would say a 450 of sort 450R, YFZ450, LTZ450, or can am's new 450. If something smaller like the 400 would keep up but you work yourself alot harder to do it and the bike.

I dont know to much about dirtbikes but on a trail the atv might be just as fast if not faster.

The 450R compared to the 400 is night and day difference. On a trail the 400 will go just as good as the 450 but if you get a chance to open it up...see ya.

The Polaris MX450 has reverse plus it comes with Fox shocks and Maxxis Tires. The KFX450 also has reverse.

For a person who is feeling beat and wants something that is a little easier on the body, I would highly recommend the Polaris Outlaw IRS or the Honda 700xx. I have ridden the Outlaw and the ride is amazingly plush. You can find the old Outlaw 500 used pretty easily, the 525 or the Honda not so much. Like most Polaris atv's, the Outlaw is quite ugly, but you can't beat it for comfort. Anything with independent rear suspension will be heavier, but the ride is incredible and gentle.

Well dirt ya gotta remember thats a dirt bike lol there like half the wait of a atv in comparasin. compare the TRX450R and the CRF450R exact same motors but the dirt bike will scream past the ATV like its standing still lol.

If your truelly wanting fast than stay on the dirtbikes. In the trails most anything could be fun.

That was kind of my point, that a dirtbike with a motor half the size is nearly as fast as a quad with way more power.

One thing you might keep in mind is the Z400, KFX400 and DVX400 are all clones the KFX and DVX being the clone of the Z.

There all identical with the only difference being the shocks and the plastics. The DVX is the cheapest price tag of the bunch but the KFX has the best shocks stock.

And as far as the See ya remark on a 400 to 450 not true. Drag strip my bro and law has a 06 450R and I have a 08 400ex and as it was stock to stock with just pipes and air filters on each he beat me by 2 links. That IMO aint that bad considering the price difference between the two brand new (I bought mine new that is what I was comparing). I have done some things to mine shaved lots of weight and adjusted timing and got my jetting perfect. 178 main, 42 pilot. Now I want to see what its like.

I mean dont get me wrong I love things over the R vs the EX but you have to admit ("NEW") $5800 vs $7600 2 bike lengths I can stand to loose lmao.