Quantcast

A 450 question for the sport guys

Hey guys, I have a quick question I tried searching a bit for the answer but being downrange I run out of time for browsing.

I am looking into getting a used 450 be it TRX, YFZ or a LTR, more torwards the TRX or YFZ due to price and width. Mostly recreational riding, wanting to get into xc and maybe mx but that is not my deciding factor you can mod and set up anything to work for what you want,

My question is from the start of the 450's what years are the most reliable meaning which ones and years had the biggest issues.... I know performance is more to maintain. I heard YFZ had the 04-05's with crank or oil issues to get 06 and up but what about the TRX or LTR any years with issues to avoid??? Thanks

Edited by robdcol

good stuff, I think I have decided on the YFZ... after looking at some aftermarket items such as suspension, which I hear the TRX could use for a setup such as racing be it xc or mx. The YFZ seems to be right in the middle for race ready, or raceable I should say, the LTR being more ready but very wide for XC or trail use. The TRX being great for race after a handful of mods, I have a bit of a budget so the YFZ seems best suitable I guess, although I really like all 3. Wish the TRX had a better suspension, maybe I can find a used one thats somewhat hooked up already lol kinda likely since I will be searching the craigsling lol.

True a place by me has 08's new for $3999, but there kinda fugly lol the front of those things are just weird. wish the ktm's had been out longer so I could find a nice used one to much for new, well to much for new anything in my opinion, I looked into the polaris when I saw huevos 11 and noticed they were all riding them thought there may be something to them I didn't know, but ehh not for me.

Hmmm after just browsing craigslist some more 04-06 TRX's and YFZ's $3000-3500 can't beat that tons of TRX's in that range.....so just add suspension, would be good to go then right?? aside from other typical mods that you do to anything... atleast thats what I have been reading only downfall is suspension

good to know, sounds like the way to go, got the name of any good companies for that one that you can send me? also how much of a fraction just curious on the difference??

One of the best I know of is G T Thunder - Technology on the move!!!!!!!! They also sell a rear linkage that makes the rear stocker a million times better. I'm not sure what the cost is but you can get them done for about half the price of some top of the line Elkas.

My husband rides an 08 TRX450ER...we've done TONS of mods to it...new shocks, stabilizer, rims, tires, fasst bars, exhaust, nerfs/bumpers/skids all around...and we added a kick start to it. He races the AA Pro class in our local series and has had a few issues...it tends to overheat during muddy races, he has to ducttape the bumper and air boxes pretty good. But, many quads have to do this. He got the kicker kit because we've had to replace the starter clutch quite a few times..mind you we've had this less than 3 years...and you can still use both electric and kicker!

If you're going to get the TRX, ask questions. See if any mods have been done to it... If you're serious about getting one, I would suggest revalving the stock shocks like Bot said...GT Thunder does them or Rocket Rons does a great job too...we're sending our shocks there next (We got them straight from Elka to start). New tires, and a new exhaust will make a world of difference. If you're serious about getting into racing...save some money and buy a stabilizer, you'll thank your wallet later for that. I don't know how many times I've hit a tree and shoulda gotten hurt pretty bad this season and didn't cause I spent the extra money on a good stablizer (Precision Pro)...

There's a lot of things you can do to the TRX...it's just how much you're willing to spend...you might find Ebay to be your new best friend :)

Hope this helps!

Thanks, for the info I will have to look up steering stabilizers heard of them for sport bikes and wheelers but never really looked into them. I am hoping to find a TRX or YFZ most likly TRX as they seem to have the best price and there is more of them, but I am hoping to find one that may already have some basics done such as tires, new exhaust, nerf's stuff like that. I have been browsing while over here in Afghan just to get an idea and have come across quit a few with those items, then I can focus more on suspension and other items. Again thanks for the info!

somewhere around 3-5 weeks from now, I can't really say exactly when, were not suppose to broadcast that info, but I can't wait also going to get my twin boys a little 50cc either suzuki or polaris they seem to be the way to go on the small ones. I may wait till xmas, not to spoil them to much and make it there presents.

Edited by robdcol

The polaris has a KTM motor which is a huge plus in my book. IMO the KTM's are the best bikes out there, they are definately the fastest. I just had the opportunity to ride a 505sx yesterday, and it was awesome, tons of power and it handled better than anything I have ever ridden. So I am sure you won't be dissapointed with the polaris, at least not when it comes to the motor.

I second that, the TRX and YFZ are very different ergonomically. The Honda has you sitting more upright with the bars up higher, while the YFZ has you leaning over the bars. One will most likely feel much more natural for you. They are both good all around machines, so I would go with which one feels most comfortable to you.

Edited by DirtDemon