Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

robdcol

A 450 question for the sport guys

lol honda, yamaha it is, don't need issues from either one of those, just found a new 08 YFZ for $4500, leftover, hopefully some of these deals are still around when I return.

I have been looking at used TRX's, and YFZ's for $3000-4500, hopefully its around in a few weeks, I will be contacting them to see if it is still available once this holiday weekend is up.

There are plenty of them for sale right now. The further to the east coast you go the more tricked out quads you will find. Quad MX is HUGE over there. Make sure you sit on the 2 models before you get your heart set. They are both completely different ergonomics.

I second that, the TRX and YFZ are very different ergonomically. The Honda has you sitting more upright with the bars up higher, while the YFZ has you leaning over the bars. One will most likely feel much more natural for you. They are both good all around machines, so I would go with which one feels most comfortable to you.

Edited by DirtDemon

general maintenance is going to keep you from breaking down---lubing the chain, checkin the bolts throughout the quad, cleanin the air filter, changin the oil....etc etc.

all of that has to be done no matter what you're riding to keep the quad in tip top shape :)

im in the same sitution pretty much. im having a hard time deciding which one to buy. but im going to be doing more track riding than anything. from what im reading the trx450 with some money put into it would be one of the better ones for track riding. is that right or should i be looking at something different?

No other 450 responds to aftermarket parts like the TRX, it is the ultimate platform for a racer. If you got the money, KTM is the most race ready. Suzuki is good with it's 50" wide stance and the new YFZ is the same. They all have completely different ergonomics, so make sure you sit on all of them before you decide.

I agree with bot, that you should feel each one out and see what feels most natural for you. I have an LTR, and I love it. It is designed for track riding, it is already low and wide and for $40 you can get a 7hp boost with a cherry bomb. It feels much more stable due to the wide stance and the fuel injection makes throttle response amazingly smooth, and jetting for the seasons or altitude is not a concern. On the other hand, if you start doing motor mods, you need an adjustable fuel programmer, they are around $300 or so, but it is still easier than changing jets in a carb. I also just got an '04 TRX, it is similar to my buddies '08, except the '04 has a little more low end torque, while the '08 has a quicker revving motor. I like the TRX well too, but they are very different machines. The TRX is not as stable in the corners, but it is noticeably lighter and fly's a bit easier. One other reason I like the Honda is the simplicity, one cam and everthing is much easier to access on the compared to my LTR. Truth all the major manufacturers make good machines, and what is best for one person might not be the best for another. My personal opinon is, if you plan to ride mostly on the track, and you don't mind spending the money, check out the KTM sx models. I had a chance to ride the 505 sx, I was seriously impessed. It was by far the best handling and fastest stock quad I have ever ridden.

Edited by DirtDemon

Dude, if your getting an 04-05 get a YFZ 06 and up get a yfz or ltr, basically you will have to dump a lot more money into a trx than the others, my buddy has an o4 trx he has had 15 cracks in his frame all different places and the engine has siezed twice due to the recalled thrust washer, 05 trx are known for having week A-arms and cracking, if your just a weekend warrior family rider then a 450r is fine but other wise get a yfz or ltr both great bikes, plus a stock trx is hella slow!!! all years slow!!!

check out my riding crews video's on youtube our channel is spartanracing43 just type it in the search box of yourutbe, we put our bikes to the test see for yourself

~Alex

I would disagree that the stock TRX is a slow machine, a friend of mine has an'08 and it is just as fast as my '07 LTR was when stock. The '04-'05 TRX's weren't as fast, but the '06 and up hang with the rest of the 450's just fine.

Yeah an 06 and up TRX has a lot more power the 04-05 stocks were slow but honda upgraded in 06 i can't remember what exactly they did, My 3 riding buddies all have TRX's all 04-05's but modified, they are still good bikes.

Ended up with a 06 TRX overall it felt the best to me, LTR felt weird, YFZ and KFX were good, but theres something about the TRX that just felt right. :biggrin:

Congrats, I know what you mean. The TRX just feels like it was designed for me. It is the most comfortable sport machine, IMO.

Get a GT Thunder Rear linkage and a steering stabilizer. You will be amazed at how well this thing handles.