Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

nh-dan

starting problem with my suzuki king quad 300

When I try to start my kingquad the oil overtemp light comes on and the solaniod ckilcks, but the starter won't come on. I thought it was the battery, so I got a new one but still no go.

Thanks for the help

Dan

Check the simple stuff first. Clean and tighten all the electrical conections. Then if still a no go, I would try to jump the solinoid to see if it is bad. If that is still a no, then I would pull the starter and either go through it or have it tested. Start easy and work to the harder more expensive stuff.

If none of that works, try disassembling the starter and cleaning it out. I have revived old starters with a good cleaning before. But I would try what Handyhiker suggested first.

ok I'll check some stuff out. How do you jump the soleniod?

Use a pair of RUBBER HANDLED pliers to bridge the two main poles of the solenoid. If the thing cranks over, then the solenoid is bad, or the there is a problem with the low current feed that activates the solenoid.

thanks guy I got it going today. It was a bad connection at the starter.

Thanks for the help

Dan

usually if there is a bad grouund or your starter is froze or locked up it will just sit there and click. my quadrunner does the same thing and the starter was locked up so i baught a new starter and tried the electric start and it worked without clicking. try a new starter

I just finished our 1999 suzuki 300 king quad. Same exact symptoms.
Got to the starter and bench tested it with a Battery charger and it worked sometimes and not others. It wouldn't work at all off of the quad battery which was fully charged.
Took the starter apart and the I think it's called an armature (The copper thing the brushes touch) was covered in grime and residue from the brushes. One brush was stuck because of the grime in it. Sand papered the armature nice with extra fine, got it all cleaned up. Blew it out with Compressed air. Didn't even have to change the brushes. And it started right up.

The segmented copper ring is called the "commutator".  The assembly  it is  part of is the  armature..   The  most common reason for a starter not  working or  working intermittently is  just as you described ..caused by fouling on the commutator  or a stuck brush not making contact.  When  a starter doesn't  spin ,  first  check to see if there   is power  at the  starter terminal when the  starter button  is  pressed /key turned.  If there is ,  then the most likely  scenario is  a  brush /  fouling  problem.  If there is no power to the  starter , then  it's time to  check the   rest of the circuit.

Far too  many starters  have been scrapped when a  simple cleaning would have fixed the problem.  Occasionally you'll  find the commutator  badly   worn or pitted,  but usually the problem  is  a stuck brush or fouling..  Brushes wear,  so  they  could be  worn  to the point they  do  not contact properly , but they  are inexpensive and easy to  replace.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By JacobSlabach
      i know this isnt an atv but same type of thing.  I have a riding mower im fixing and selling for my aunt and it has a dead battery.  i jumped it off my atv and when i turn the key nothing at all happens.  i tried jumping the relay still nothing.  this is with the seat down.  you wouldnt think this mower would have issues as its a top-of-the-line brand and almost brand new (aunt found it for a good price, still got tits on tires, just sat for a couple months in a mechanic shop
    • By gouletp
      Hi. When I press the starter switch, the solenoid clicks and the starter doesn't turn. The battery is good (about 12.6 volts).  I tried shorting the two big bolts on the solenoid with a screwdriver.  I got sparks and the starter didn't turn.  I tried running a booster cable directly to the starter post but all I get is a bunch of sparks.  I connected the positive side of the battery to the post or bolt on the starter.  I connected the negative side of the battery to the frame,  Did I connect everything wrong?  I don't know why I get the sparks.
      Thank you
    • By Monika Novakov
      1988 Kawasaki 220 Bayou trying to remove generator/ starter 1way clutch cover to be able to replace 1way clutch. All bolts are removed case cover is dripping what oil that remains...but I can't get the cover to come off..what am I missing? Thx in advance.
    • By Mark Walters
      Hi guys.  First post, hope you can help.  As above 1991 Honda fourtrax.  Starting, running fine until a few weeks ago. Used primarily to put my ski boat in the garage (put 2" ball on front).  Any way, had just backed boat into garage, turned off to crank trailer wheel down, when I went to restart got nothing.  
      No neutral light, no headlights, no reverse light, would not turn over when start button pushed.  It would crank and run when I jumped the contacts on the start relay.  While running the neutral light will come on, although it is dim and flickers.  Reverse light on when running and in reverse.
      What I have done to this point:
      1.  Used jumper cable to ground battery (-) terminal to engine block thinking ground wire from battery to engine may be bad.  No neutral light, no start.
      2. Applied 12 volts to start relay.  Got a loud click like it was making contact.  I didn't have the battery/starter cables connected to the relay, but I am assuming it would have cranked at that time.  
      3. Disconnected neutral switch wire.  Grounded neutral switch wire with jumper wire. No neutral light, no electric start. 
      At this point I am thinking ignition switch vs broken wire in the harness going to the neutral switch (due to dimness and flickering when running).
      Any and all suggestions to help track down this issue are appreciated.
      Thanks

• By deke
      I have a '94 160cc Quadrunner. Old, but has been working great. Suddenly one day when I tried to restart it all I hear is a loud and rapid clicking from the solenoid up by the battery. I bought a new solenoid online but that doesn't fix it. I took off the starter and it spins fine on the bench. I reinstalled the starter and then went directly from the battery to the pole of the solenoid that goes to the starter and it turned over so I think the battery is ok. It was brand new last November.
      I'm thinking it must be the solenoid. Seems unlikely that a brand new solenoid from Bikebandit.com would be defective but is that what the problem is? If so, I can send it back. Is there a way to test it with a multimeter to see if I get 12 volts? Could it be something else?
      Sure would appreciate any help.
      Deke
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Ashton Crawford
      Hello everyone, i have 2000 Polaris Trail Blazer 300 I’ve been stumped on for weeks. I’m having a lot of issues starting the quad. I cleaned the carb spotless because I thought it was a carb issue and bought a new fuel line because it wasn’t getting fuel. The carb gets fuel perfectly fine now but it won’t start. The spark plug I a little worn out but it’s good enough for just one start. The only time it does “start” is when I spray starter fluid into the carb. But it never stays on. It’ll start for a bout a second then just die out immediately even if you’re giving it some throttle and the choke is on. I have no clue what I should do. If you need more information, have questions, or have any slight idea what the issue would be and how I could resolve it. Please reply ASAP. Thank you.
    • By Alan Callison
      OK ya'll.My son bought this thing and was told its a Kaw Bayou 300. Maybe. I cant find any numbers on it.The one tag I did find its so faded as to be unreadable. Its a long shot but maybe someone can help ID it. Thanks in advance.

• By Jeff Wharton
      I have a 2000 Arctic Cat 300 4 wheeler. I have been having some carburetor issues. So i bought a new carb. Now I'm having these issues. The unit will start and idle fine, when i go to accelerate it wants to cut off. So i checked to make sure it was getting gas and the fuel filter will be full of gas and then once the carb opens the filter drains down and will not refill quick enough to run. So i checked to make sure gas was flowing to the filter and it is flowing fine through the line. I remove the filter and run the gas line directly to the carb and the engine idle fine and then it will run good as i ride it for about 10 minutes then it will start with the same issues again i cannot accelerate enough to move the 4 wheeler. Every time i accelerate the unit will cut off. What is wrong with this thing. My 400 Arctic Cat is doing the same thing except it will backfire, I'm lost i have tried everything i know to do, what am i missing here. Thanks for your help
    • By Maurais
      I’m looking for new replacement shocks (front & rear.) on my 1997 Kawasaki Bayou 300 2x4. New OEM shocks are upwards of $400. I haven’t pulled the rims off to check the eyelet to eyelet length but I’m hoping an expert on this site does know( I called Kawasaki direct yesterday and they were of know help.) Any technical help would be appreciated. TY fellow members. Vic
    • By scottj11
      Hello, how are you'ns doing? I'm in the process of tearing my Kawasaki Bayou down to fix a rattling noise and an oil leak. I'll probably be asking questions about this project. My step-son has an Arctic Cat 300, he was riding yesterday and when he turned it off it was running fine, but it won't do anything. The lights come on but it won't turn over or anything. Does anyone have any ideas on what might be wrong? TIA