Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

pointblaynk

1994 yamaha bigbear 350 4x4 question

:huh:i need to split the right side of the case according to the yamaha dealership to make sure i have no dirt or anything in the engine before i put my cylinder back on since i got it bored over. do i have to worry about anything just falling out it i just pull it off. someone told me to get a pressure washer and soap and spray the hell out of it and itll take any dirt or anything out. will it hurt anything or what is your ideas on the subject thank yall.

yea a lot of things will fall out wen u split the case. wen they said use a pressure washer were they referring to washing the outside or the inside? the inside you can not wash with water. that willl do a lot of damage especially if it is pressurized

a couple people said to split the case and go to the car wash and spray the inside of the motor. i figure that would mess somethin up. what should i do. i split the case and started messin around kinda lookin for dirt but didnt really see or pick none up. only one thing fell out when i took it apart but that was easy to put back in.

im not recommending it but yea you could power wash the case...but everything in the engine HAS TO COME OUT.i would take all the bearings and everything and soak them in motor oil...

I wouldn't use a pressure washer on the inside, that is like using a sledgehammer to drive finnishing nails. Since it is most likely pretty clean in there. You just need to make sure there aren't any pieces of dirt or metal shavings floating around in there. A regular hose sprayer will be fine, just make sure to remove any loose fitting parts so you don't lose them. Otherwise, I would leave the bearings in there unless they need to be replaced. The water wont hurt them, just blow everything out with compressed air when you are done and let it dry. Then apply a coat of oil to everything before you start putting it back together. Very impoprtant that you make sure everythign is in the right place, even something as small as switching two very similar washers around can keep things from operating properly or operating at all for that matter. Also very important to make sure all gasket sealing surfaces are clean, flat and have no gouges in them.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By JacobSlabach
      So my parents have not let me get my license yet and I need to get around to gets parts and stuff.  Answer: Yamaha CW50 scooter.  This is a 2-cycle self-mixing scooter that so far, I am really surprised with the power output and speed.  It reaches about 45mph since the speedo has been disconnected and has plenty of power for two riders.  Its stupid looking, but with some work and a title and plate, it'll take me around town..  My issue is this:  No key.  I bought it for $150 from a friend and he bought it from someone for $100 who wired in a switch in place of the ignition.  That guy got it form his neighbor who's renter left it behind.  The scooter will run with this switch on or off (kill switch on handlebar kills engine)  To get it tiled and a plate so its road worthy, I need to get the ignition working either by a replacement key or a new ignition.  All wires are cut to the ignition and the switch turned on the power to the signal light switch.  Also, the 2-cycle oil was leaking out the carb, through the air filter and onto the scooter.  also, it runs great, but its making blue smoke with throttle and the muffler is wet with oil.

(I have new signal lights for it btw)  So the issues I have with it summed up:
      No key (need new ignition) smokes burnt out headlight-  can I replace them with LEDs?
    • By Ron Boyd
      I was wondering if the complete headlight assembly from a 06 yfz450 would fit my 05 raptor 660r looking for a quick responses I found a set new for 25 bucks and either way dont want to pass up but was qurious.
    • By Arizona
      So my latest find is a Moto 4 250. Looked in good shape, started right up but would backfire and die upon acceleration but you 
      could get it to go if you were good with the throttle. I figured it was the carb. was a brand new Chinese carb, he didn't have original.
      I took it apart and cleaned it, only thing I found was some debris in main jet and the main adjustment on bottom was at 41 turns. Cleaned 
      it out and set at 2 turns, re installed. Starts up, runs better actually drove it but seems really sluggish, once I hit 3rd gear could barely pull
      it. Rechecked everything, even ordered a new carb as I had this problem with another atv but still same problem. Now I pull it apart and 
      decided to check compression, I show only 85 psi. I checked valve adjustment (after aligning up cam gear to mark on case). to make sure not too tight still right at 85 psi. 
      I assume I need to pull the head and look at the valves, Any ideas I am missing something?  motor does not smoke but is super sluggish. 
      The specs I find are off the downloaded manual of a 94 but figure should be the same. It states compression standard is 128  and Minimum is 114 and Max is 142
      Any other Ideas before I tear it down? Thanks in advance Az

• By Venom
      Hi, All

I started this project a while ago.. I have decided to make one thread I can continuously update..

So , here we go. I got this Raptor 80 in really bad condition.. Rear end frozen, Engine toast, tires dry rotted, tons of rust..etc.. They admitted they beat on it very hard.

Since they do not make these with a drive shaft anymore I decided to restore it from top to bottom..

These are photos of when I got it home.

Next up, the tear down..

First, I needed to tear it down and determine if the rear end was still good... As we all know... That is where it would be cost prohibitive to restore if it is trashed..

Got it completely stripped down and I lucked out... The rear Drum brake was caked solid inside with dried mud. That was causing the rear end to lock up. Took off the rear brakes and the rear end spun perfectly smooth.

Once I got it all stripped apart I needed to take the finish off all the parts. I am going to be powder coating the frame and many parts.. Once the finish is off each part it will need to be sandblasted to white metal .. The guy I use for powder coating gives me a hefty discount if I bring the parts to him ready to go.

You could just sand blast, but that would take a long time to get the finish off. First I used Aircraft Paint Remover.. That stuff is pretty toxic Goggles and Resperator are required. That quickly gets you down to the metal... Then you can sand blast to white metal pretty quickly...

I had another thread I had started about a problem with the tear down... It has some great info .... here is the link... It is about removing the frame bushings. ....

https://www.quadcrazy.com/atvforum/topic/14209-raptor-80-frame-bushings/?tab=comments#comment-104702
    • By Gary Ferguson
      My old Big Bear nearly left me stranded but I managed to limp back to my garage just before it died. Now No Spark. I’ve changed the obvious, inexpensive and easy parts- spark plug & coil without any luck. 
      Ive stripped it down and traced all of the related wiring, checking as many connections as I can but no luck again. 
      Next I pulled the cover and accessed the stator housing to inspect and do some resistance testing to ID a possible short. 
      Here are my readings:
      Source coil- 325 ohms
      Pickup coil- 225
      Can anyone tell me if these are good numbers, and if good, where to go next?
      I assume my next purchase will either be a new stator or CDI, but since neither of these tend to be returnable items I want to be as sure as I can I’m gonna get a resolution to the problem!!
      Thanks,
      Gary in SC
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Reece K.
      I just recently bought a 1994 Yamaha Timberwolf 4x4 from a buddy who had the wheeler sitting in his garage for 7 years. I got it home and fired it up pushed it out of the garage and tried to shift it and it wouldn't shift. First it would click like it was shifting, but the wheeler wouldn't move and when I hit the gas it revved up like I was in nuetral. After trying some more it became stuck in 1st gear and wouldnt shift at all. But it later broke loose agian and acts like it is in neutral again. I took the motor off the machine to make it easier to work on.After asking friends they were convinced it was a clutch problem but after opening up the casing for the clutch I don't see anything out of the ordinary and am concerned that it may be a transmission problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.
    • Guest Fox300exchic
      By Guest Fox300exchic
      The Hop-Up: You may be saying to yourself, “that’s a chick bike,” and you’re right. But honestly, it’s so much more than that. It’s one badass bike. http://www.quadmagazine.com/quad/features/article/0,24942,1587044,00.html
    • By dyyjrr9
      I just got a 1991 Yamaha Moto 4 for my son and I am looking for a service repair manual. I know that the timing chain needs replaced.
    • By alexcross324
      Hi all, I try to find this manual in the threads but you have a lot of stock here
      Cannot find this particular manual.
      I found it for YFM200 but not sure if they are the same.
      Thanks if you could help me with that.
      Im new here so if I did something wrong, please tell me.
    • By davidwestfall
      looking for direct shift shifting lever that properly fits my 2003 Yamaha warrior 350 and fits my foot the same as a stock 2003 Yamaha warrior 350 shifting lever fits my foot