Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

While I was clearing a friend's property to build a little track, I came across an old boat trailer. I took it home and am in the process of turning it into an atv trailer. Here are a few pics I took shortly after I started taking it apart and some taken through the re-construction process. I will add more photos as progress is made. As you can see in the last pic, there are some spots that are pretty rough, so I have alot of work to do yet, but I think it will come out alright, especially for a freebie.

IMG00054-20091018-1459.jpg

IMG00053-20091018-1458.jpg

IMG00057-20091105-1752.jpg

IMG00058-20091105-1915.jpg

IMG00060-20091105-1920.jpg

IMG00059-20091105-1918.jpg

Wow, nice idea. So I guess you know how to weld!!!

What are your dimensions going to be? Are you puting a a gate in the back?

Wow, nice idea. So I guess you know how to weld!!!

What are your dimensions going to be? Are you puting a a gate in the back?

Yes, I guess I am not to bad with a welder, I managed to get certified when I worked in a fire sprinkler fabrication shop. The deck of the trailer is going to be about 6ft by 14ft, just big enough to fit all three quads on sideways. I am going to put a short rail along one side to keep me from driving off the trailer since I plan on loading from the side. I think I will just make a set of removable ramps that temporarily attatch at each loading point along the side.

awesome job....wish i had a welder :frown:

The welder and the plasma cutter have been worth thier weight in gold to me. It would be a good investment for anyone who is interested in doing thier own fab work. I just picked up a Lincoln Home Depot speacial for about $650. It's a 175 amp 230volt machine that is plenty powerfull for my needs and easy to use. It just takes practice to get good at it. I actually scored the plasma cutter for free from the fab shop I worked at, best deal I have ever gotten on a good tool.

Originally posted by scOtt;

Looking good. My brother-in-law is just finishing one of these up right now

Originally posted by BuckBilly;

Looks like your off to a good start DD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys, it is definately coming together easier than I expected, so hopefully I will be able to get it finnished pretty soon.

Edited by DirtDemon

As you can see in the first couple of pics, the axle is in pretty bad shape. I will end up replacing it eventually, but for now I decided to reinforce this one and use it for the time being. I am basically going to build a new axle right around the old one.

IMG00063-20091114-1851.jpg

IMG00064-20091115-1531.jpg

IMG00065-20091115-1554.jpg

IMG00066-20091115-1619.jpg

IMG00067-20091115-1645.jpg

You go man. I took my brother-in-laws trailer on a ride this weekend. He just took a boat trailer and turned it into a 4.5' by 12. It fit two of our bikes nose to tail. It pulled great the only problem is it is a tilt trailer but since they added so much to the front boxing it in a such it take quite a bit to make it tilt. I am hoping to get a 6' by 16' soon so I can take 4 bikes on it.

You go man. I took my brother-in-laws trailer on a ride this weekend. He just took a boat trailer and turned it into a 4.5' by 12. It fit two of our bikes nose to tail. It pulled great the only problem is it is a tilt trailer but since they added so much to the front boxing it in a such it take quite a bit to make it tilt. I am hoping to get a 6' by 16' soon so I can take 4 bikes on it.
Get a 6 1/2 to seven foot wide trailer. It will hold bigger quads better .

DD I don't know if it was a boat trailer now. I was going to get one that was a boat trailer from the same guy he got this one. It may have just been a smaller trailer he made larger. I will ask him. Since you said that I wouldn't know why you would need a tilt boat trailer.

Kristin and I need at least a 6'x15' trailer so I can put both the quad and the Rhino on one trailer. I really want enclosed but I need a new truck for that.

DD I don't know if it was a boat trailer now. I was going to get one that was a boat trailer from the same guy he got this one. It may have just been a smaller trailer he made larger. I will ask him. Since you said that I wouldn't know why you would need a tilt boat trailer.

It was probably an old sled trailer.

Kristin and I need at least a 6'x15' trailer so I can put both the quad and the Rhino on one trailer. I really want enclosed but I need a new truck for that.

If you put the quad on sideways, you can probably get them both on a shorter trailer. How long is that Rhino? 7 or 8 feet? You might be able to get away with a 6'x12'.

That is with the quad sideways. The Rhino will fit on an 8' trailer but the front and back hang off. We have a 10' trailer and that fits the Rhino with about 1' to spare.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Frank Angerano
      So with this mess going on outside and the stay at home thing happening i wanted to ask who's getting what done around there house, apartment and property or toys? 
        I honestly cannot believe what my wife and i have accomplished over the last few weeks.   Unfortunately we have worked ourselves out of work!!!    I have to give all the credit to my daughter for the below listed work. She came to me a few weeks back and said daddy since we are stuck in the house can we do my room over.    I was in a keep away from everyone hunker down and lets just get through this Coronavirus mess.  She changed the entire direction of our mood and how we would push through this.    I have painted all the kids rooms and did a make over per say for each of there rooms. While the painting shit was out i decided to continue and paint the moldings over with one coat of semi gloss in the entire house.    After that we decided to tear the closets and drawers apart and sort out all clothing, donate what we are not keeping etc.  I picked up a couple of shoe racks to organize my sneaker collection from BJ's $20 bucks for a 3 tier rack.    Cleaned every nook and cranny of the house, windows, walls, radiators, ceiling fans you name it including pulling the furniture out and getting behind everything! (Scary back there) lol.   Shit we even did the inside of the oven with easy off!  That stuff is no joke btw..... I assure you we are clean people but after pulling the furniture out and the oven and refrigerator i have to say we need to do better with that shit.     We decided to go  to the back yard and see what we could do. I went ahead and painted the foundation walls, added mulch and set the furniture up, bbq included.  I added some cool light stringers across the yard as well from Amazon.      We are looking at what to do in the front of the house next.     We made a list and tackle a little each day, Saturday and Sunday are big task days. Im still working so afternoon tasks are maybe an hour or two each day.   We have been very productive to say the least.  I feel like this is the perfect time to make the best of a bad situation and it keeps our mind off of the shit going on in the world while we work.     This may sound like a lot but making a list and tackling realistic goals at the end of each day works well. Plus a lot of 🍺  and 🍷!!!!! The kids have been helping out big time and we try to keep it fun.    We hopefully will never have the chance to do this again but i was wondering who's doing what if anything at all.  Our regards go out to anyone that have been affected by this virus weather it be family or friends.    I recommend making early trips to Home Depot and BJ's and the grocery stores to stay away from crowds and lines, its a ghost town early in the morning.      Believe  it or not that Suzuki Eiger is fixed but still needs to be put back together and here i am on Quadcrazy asking who's doing what around the house but the Suzuki can wait for a little while. 
        Keep ya head up and stay motivated!!!!      
    • By YamahaGrizzly
      Damn guys its been a minute since posting here! Hows everyone doing with covid-19 floating around? I hope everyone is staying safe and washing your hands! 

Its been a minute! Myself and Jon got requested to do this video only 1000 times! Eventually Finntrail started a new Blog and got some of their sponsored ATV riders make a video for them so here is ours! We got lots of parts on our Yamaha Grizzly 700 everything you see on my Yamaha Grizzly 700 you will also see on Jons Yamaha Grizzly 700. Thanks for watching and make sure you Like, Comment and Subscribe!

P.s I also said the 1992 Big Bear had a belt lol
    • By AKATV
      For those that have been pulling hair out-
      It took me a month to figure this out, but I am glad to report that I have figured out how to repair my 2004 450ES Speedometer

If you have a Honda Foreman 02-04 450 ES model ( 4 indicator lights on top of meter)
      or a Honda Foreman 99-00 450 ES model ( 3 indicator lights on top of meter)
      or aOnda Rancher 00-03 TRX350ES

and your display:

- Is Blank

- does not show the gear indicator spot at all (not the gear or --) but the
      backwards "L" that goes around the gear position - its just blank

-your miles and hours have reverted to zeros or all 9"s and possibly now shows KM now instead of Miles

-your speed shown seems to have almost doubled (possibly KMs per hour even thought it shows Miles)

What has happened is your EEPROM chip on motherboard has lost the programming due to dead battery for
      a LONG time or an electrical malfunction etc...

I have borrowed a friends speedometer (a trusting friend) removed the chip from his, copied the data and put it on mine and it reads perfect now.

I can repair your speedometer it will have 1851 miles and 317.2 hours on it as that is the only copy I have for the 02-04 Foreman 450ES
      I can also do 99-2000 450ES speedometers (3 indicator lights on top of meter) but will have to double-check check on the mileage/hours copy I have and let you know to see if you want that

I can also do TRX500FM and FE meters and the older Rancher 350ES meters as well but it has to have the above symptoms and not water damaged-caught on fire, cracked lcd, etc....

If you have one you want repaired just send to me (just the board with LCD) I can repair it for you for $45.00 or barter if you have a second bad meter for parts
      Shipping would be 4 - $5.00 for First Class with tracking and I will pay return shipping
      I will confirm and send pictures to you as well to show a working completed repair on your display
      If there is heavy water corrosion, rust and rot damage etc.. its probably not repairable but I can try if you want -no fix-no pay
      If you PM me or whatever we can work it out I am easy and like you all I am always fiddling/learning with wheelers
      I think you will be happy and you will have more hair -mine is filling back in...................
      Message me if interested

I am now also doing burned out screen repair if your screen has become unreadable due to UV sunburn damage from the sun
      It will appear burned or melted.
      The cost is 45.00 with same or next day turnaround
      Will do partial barter if you have a second speedometer for parts
      PM me if interested
      Before and after pictures below

• By Ellery Zandt
      I have no idea where the antifreeze line coming off the thermostat goes too. The carb two nipples in the pic create a vacumme. Can someone help me on this please....!!! my email direct is [email protected]!!!!
  • Similar Tagged Content

• Guest foscoe944
      By Guest foscoe944
      Hi, I’m new to the forum. I have a large trailer, about 7500 lbs loaded, that I need to move around in my driveway. I was planning to buy a motorized trailer dolly, but it occurred to me that perhaps and ATV could do it, and then I could not only move the trailer but also have the ATV for the fun of it!
      I’m wondering if anyone knows if an ATV can move a trailer this size? The tongue weight is about 750 lbs, and I’d only be moving it very slowly in a small space on almost level concrete and gravel.
    • By Joe5858
      can anyone recommend a good 5x8 atv trailer (and is that big enough for an atv?). Thanks. I want the kind that the atv is enclosed by bars
    • By areceedee
      New guy here looking for some ideas so I can pull a small garden trailer and small cargo and tools around my place. Pictures or ideas appreciated, also planning to mount a blade for snow this winter, thanks!
    • By WeekendATVdotcom
      We had a chance to review Dowcos Guardian Trailerable ATV Covers, an ATV cover designed to be hauled in your truck or trailer. Its a great solution if you are looking for a heavy duty cover. REVIEW: Dowco Guardian Trailerable ATV Covers - WeekendATV.com
    • By OutlawGade
      Check out our Channel if you like what you see @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOHn_8xQGtESfD_u66W6XsA
      [ame]
      [/ame]