Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

2008 Honda trx700xx sand tires and rims?

delinquent43

the only problem i'm having is finding a rear rim for the quad. like you posted about the 11 inch rear stock so i'm looking for a 12x8 rear or something because itp has 22x11-12 rear sand stars but even the itp website only has 10s. i have no idea where to buy parts online.

You also want to make sure you get a wheel with the correct offset. The IRS quads use a rear wheel with alot of back spacing, so it has a drastic positive offset. If you buy normal rims, your machine may be close to a foot wider. Not only would that be a nuisance in tight spaces, the suspension will turn mushy and the handling may get wierd.

• 2 weeks later...
Try rocky mountain atv...and don't get the sand star's - molded tires suck.

Get the angle paddle skat traks.

So what makes these tires suck? I know plenty of people that run them and that are extremely happy with them.

If you are going to try and steer someone away from a product, why not supply some helpful info on why he shouldn't run them. THEY SUCK makes you sound like a little kid trying to do a review.

So what makes these tires suck? I know plenty of people that run them and that are extremely happy with them.

If you are going to try and steer someone away from a product, why not supply some helpful info on why he shouldn't run them. THEY SUCK makes you sound like a little kid trying to do a review.

I could have used "stupid" but we'll get to that later.

They suck because they are heavy compared to a comparable buffed tire and they split, but most importantly because they are heavy. Ask most people who are serious about sand riding and they'll tell you that Sand Stars aren't any good for serious torque or horsepower. Anyone who has had a set for a while (myself included) will find that they start splitting right in the middle of the "v".

Let's talk about weight, everyone knows that if you free up unsprung weight it = free horsepower, so why do people spend all this money on pipes, programmers, cams and filters only to throw a set of heavy Sand stars on even heavier SS rims. That is just plain stupid. You can get the same "V" pattern on a shaved tire and still have the same "flickability" of the heavier-molded Sand Stars. Don't take my word for it though, ask around the other "dunatic" forums and you'll quickly see that people stray away from sand stars once they find out what is best.

I agree with you that there's a lot of people who like them - they're not as expensive as Skat Trak's "Edge" but IMO you get what you pay for.

I could have used "stupid" but we'll get to that later.

They suck because they are heavy compared to a comparable buffed tire and they split, but most importantly because they are heavy. Ask most people who are serious about sand riding and they'll tell you that Sand Stars aren't any good for serious torque or horsepower. Anyone who has had a set for a while (myself included) will find that they start splitting right in the middle of the "v".

Let's talk about weight, everyone knows that if you free up unsprung weight it = free horsepower, so why do people spend all this money on pipes, programmers, cams and filters only to throw a set of heavy Sand stars on even heavier SS rims. That is just plain stupid. You can get the same "V" pattern on a shaved tire and still have the same "flickability" of the heavier-molded Sand Stars. Don't take my word for it though, ask around the other "dunatic" forums and you'll quickly see that people stray away from sand stars once they find out what is best.

I agree with you that there's a lot of people who like them - they're not as expensive as Skat Trak's "Edge" but IMO you get what you pay for.

Thanks, Scuzz!:wink: That's what I wanted to get out of you. Thank you for your view on them. I have never seen any split like you said. Not saying they don't just I've never seen it. I know they are heavy compared to some of the other brands, but not everyone can afford Skats.

I know they are heavy compared to some of the other brands, but not everyone can afford Skats.

That's kinda my point though, people spend money on things that make horsepower, just to take it away with heavier tires. They'll spend $300 on an exhaust and $200 on cams and throw a set of heavier tires when there's only a $80 difference between the 22x11x10 Sand Star's and the same sized Skat Trak Edges.

[these prices were pulled from Rocky Mountain ATV's website for a 450r.]

Even 80, I would rather spend the extra 80 on something I will use everytime I ride, not just 15-20 hours a year.

Just a matter of opinion.

I hear you. I ride sand about that much a month. If I were you I would buy paddles at all and just rent them when I got there.

• 4 weeks later...
i just purchased an 08 i like it alot in the power department but the handle takes some getting used to. anybody else have 1 and know of stuff i need to look out for? also what sand tires/rim combo would you guys go with for the 700? thanks in advance.

john

go on line with scat/trac go with 10 21 8 paddle no more than 10 paddle dubble buff not used on hard drit or trail rides.

no need to yell. i cant find those anywhere not even on itp's website. douglas is coming out with some i ordered those since my local honda superstore couldnt find the itp's either lol its a pain in my a$$.

go on line with scat/trac go with 10 21 8 paddle no more than 10 paddle dubble buff not used on hard drit or trail rides. on douglas blue lable. or go on line with wicked atv tell them opie sent you.