Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

verve

2003 Kawasaki Lakota Sport Throttle Problems

So my Lakota Sport isn't running right. It starts and idles fine but gags out (doesn't die) when I hit the throttle unless I go super slow and once I get to the high revs I can play with the throttle all i want. I have so far; put in new gas, cleaned air filter, cleaned carb, changed spark plug, adjusted throttle cable, valves were adjusted about a year ago with only a couple rides on it. Any ideas?

When you cleaned the carb, didi you find any gummed fuel or debris? Did you blow out ALL passages and vents with compressed air? It sounds like you may have something stuck in your pilot jet, or maybe the fuel screw needs adjustment. Wouldn't hurt to check compression and timing chain/tensioner.

I just found the carb had a little dirt in it the first time. So I took the carb apart again and used air and double checked this time to make sure jets were clear. Now it barely idles for a short time and I can't give it any gas cause it dies out. I don't see what I can adjust in the carb, here is a link to the OEM drawings of my carb

This link is available to logged in members only. Please login or register to view this link.

Fisrt thing I would check is the fuel screw adjustment, you may have screwed it in all the way when you put the carb back together. It really sounds like you aren't getting enough fuel, if the fuel screw doesn't help, check the float, float pin and seat.

I agree with DD, sounds like not enough fuel.

* Adjusted thread title and included issue and full year for searches.

You have to bare with me cause I am no mechanic. If your talking about the screw to adjust the feul/idle speed I did play with that and there is only one spot were the bike with start and barely idles, if I try and increase or decrease the flow it just dies. The float in the carb doesn't have much movement so it barely moves the float valve(normal? I can't see a way to change that).

I guess now that I think about that, I was moving the float with the carb upside down so i can see it having more valve movement when its flipped over. Im lost! :willy_nillyc:

Edited by verve
mor info

The pilot screw is part # 16014 on the diagram, it looks like it would be located on the bottom of the carb, just in front of the float bowl. The hand screw that adjusts the idle is different. The pilot screw should be turned out a bit, contact a Kawasaki dealer tech or consult a manual to find out exactly how far. I would guess that it should be about 1 1/2 to 2 turns out. Did you check to see if the diaphragm is in good shape?

The float should move freely quite a bit. The float valve should move a good 1/4" or so. If it doesn't move enough, the pin that holds the float in place could be bent, there might be something obstructing the movement of the float or you could maybe even have the float in upside down. I took some pictures of the float on an old Kehin carb I have lying around. The float and bowl on this carb may be a bit larger than yours, but this should still give you a general idea of how much movement you should have on the float and pin. The float will actually roll up and pull the pin out of the seat hole if the float body didn't hit the plastic buffer plate.

IMG00044-20100303-1513.jpg

IMG00046-20100303-1514.jpg

Edited by DirtDemon

Thanks for helping DD. So I played with the adjustment on the Pilot, now it idles better but I still can not give it gas or it dies. The diaphram looks good, The float is in correctly. So here are some pics of the carb and shows the float movement, maybe this will help.

CarbFloatDown.jpg

CarbFloatUp.jpg

CarbDiaphram.jpg

CarbOpen.jpg

CarbTop2.jpg

CarbTop3.jpg

CarbRight.jpg

CarbLeft.jpg

CarbRear.jpg

Every thing does look clean and in order there. I see that the float is in correctly, but have you checked the adjustment? Do you have a fuel filter on the machine? If you do, try removing it and see if there is any improvement. Another tip, if you get into your carb alot, the phillips head screws get stripped easily. I like to replace them with socket cap hex screws. They are much easier to deal with since it is easier to get an allen wrench in there with the carb still on and they don't strip like phillips heads do.

Problem solved! So it was not a throttle or carb or gas problem. The battery went bad and would't hold a charge about two years ago and I have just been using the pull start and that worked fine for me. Every time I worked on the bike it just kept getting harder to start and today I was to tired to keep yanking on the pull start so I hooked it up to a battery charger on start assist. It fired right up and runs like a champ. I guess the battery deteriorated enough and the bike doesn't create enough charge it self. So new battery and no more problem. :) I tell you what, I have one clean carb now.

Good to hear you got it running good again. Keep an eye on the battery though, if you were having trouble before at low engine speeds, that could be an indication that your stator is on it's way out. Once the machine is running, it should run off the stator, the battery should have no effect on performance unless the stator is not producing enough power at low engine speeds, or you had a bad connection somewhere. I would check the output from the stator at an idle just to make sure. If it was just a bad connection that was incidentally fixed when you replaced the battery, then everything should be fine.

Good to hear that you go it solved. I found out a long time ago that the Lakota has to have a battery or it will not run.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• 1990 Suzuki LT 4wd need help running issue

my atv will start right up will idle fine soon as i try to throttle up engine dies,i have changed gas,new fuel pump and lines great compression 188 lbs.new coil new spark plug adjusted valves dont know what to do also rebuilt carb,any help wanted

By joseph, in Suzuki ATV Forum

• 34 replies
    • 1997 Kawasaki Lakota 300 kef300a Intermittent Spark

I have a 97 Kawasaki Lakota 300 kef300a. It will not start. I have replace coil stator pulse generator and spark plug. Set timing and checked flywheel and am getting intermittent spark. Sparks once when starter engages and once when disengages. However, if I slowly pull the pull rope Sparks great. If I pull it normal it Sparks once. The cdi box and the kill switch are the only two things I haven't replaced but if I turn the switch to of no spark at all so I'm pretty sure it's working. Any ideas on what it may be?

By Nick&Britt Mann, in Kawasaki ATV Forum

• 4 replies
    • 2001 Quadrunner 500 Running Problems

Hi all, Picked this bike up about a month ago, and started doing some work on it. I ordered a carb kit from China, but got tired of waiting for it so I went to the bike shop today and picked up a Shindy rebuild kit. Took the carb out of soak, it has been in there for a month, blew all the ports out, cleaned what I could with a guitar string, used air as best I could to make sure everything was clear. After I was satisfied the body was clean I out the kit in it. Got the floats set to 13mm as per the manual (well 12.87 on one side and 12.92 on the other, so close), set the pilot to a little less than 2 1/2 turns out (manual says 2 3/8 turns). Put everything back together and tried to start it, it started and had a week idle. I tried adjusting the idle screw and as soon as I turned it the bike died. Backed it out and tried again, same result. Left it backed out, started it again and gave it some throttle. As soon as the throttle is touch the bike dies. Changed the spark plug for a new one and checked the spark, good and really strong. I am thinking that I have a bad petcock and am not getting enough fuel to the carburetor. So when I press the throttle I am increasing air but starving for fuel, bike can't run on air alone so it dies. Does this line of thinking make sense? I am gearing up a bottle with a fuel line in it, so I can try gravity feeding fuel to the carb, just have to wait for the silicone to dry so won't be able to test till tomorrow.  If it turns out to be a bad fuel valve, I will most likely just replace it with a universal one. If I go this route, what do I need to do with the breather line off the carburetor that used to go to the OEM petcock? Block it off or leave it open? Any help, answers or other ideas of things to check would be greatly appreciated. I have a fishing trip at the end of the month and would love to have my bike running by then. 

By Coyote251, in Suzuki ATV Forum

• 11 replies
    • Lakota KEF-300 Service Manual 1995-2004

View File Lakota KEF-300 Service Manual 1995-2004 Kawasaki Lakota 1994-2004 Service Manual Submitter 87tecate4 Submitted 07/10/2018 Category Kawasaki ATV  

By 87tecate4, in Kawasaki ATV Forum

• 2 replies
    • 2013 Honda Rancher 420 starts then dies?

I have 2013 Honda 420 4x4 FPA It will start then run for 10-30 seconds die then won't start back up for a few minutes. Let it sit & it will crank & run again for 10-30 seconds then die again. Any suggestions? Thanks  PS It was flashing codes for both the oil temp & water temp sensors I replaced them IT cleared the codes & quit flashing now it's doing this. 

By yamaha127, in Honda ATV Forum

• 4 replies
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Chayse Hill
      I have a 2003 LTZ 400 that i bought a few days ago. The quad was running fine until last night. I let my brother ride it down the street and back and i didnt notice anything etong with bike. Then my neighbors friend came over and said "can i ride it?" I said "sure" so he ripped it down the road all fine and when he got back it died right in front of us. My brother said it was dieing on him also. He also said that he wasnt using the clutch to shift. I told him he was an idiot. Im throwing that in there incase that caused a problem as well. But today i go to check it to make sure its getting fuel which it is and replaced the spark plug incase it wasnt getting spark but it is. So i started it and it was having a problem starting then i got started and was reving at idle high. So i took it around the block and it died on me a little bit down, so i try to restart it and it started so i kicked it into 1st and it kinda launched on me and started going with the clutch all the way in. Then it died right after and wasnt running right during that process and was idleing all over the place and just died and now i cant get it started it again. Before it would start without the choke or priming it. It would start real quick now i cant figure if it needs to be rejetted or something else. Air filter looks clean also. But any help would be gratelly appreciated!
    • By Weldingrod47
      Trying to change front wheel bearings. I removed the cotter pin and castle nut. Hub won't budge. Is there an additional retaining clip? Seems to be one of those push on type that barbs on the thread of the spindle. How do I remove it?
    • By davidwestfall
      looking for direct shift shifting lever that properly fits my 2003 Yamaha warrior 350 and fits my foot the same as a stock 2003 Yamaha warrior 350 shifting lever fits my foot
    • By Wonderwoman
      Hello, well back to where I was last year with this carb. Took my 250 to the mountains for the first time this year and blue smoke, too much gas again. I can't believe that this carb gives me this much trouble. Seems like the choke is stuck but the cable moves freely. Anyone else ever experience this issue? Do you think a new choke cable would maybe resolve this?http://www.quadcrazy.com/atvforum/images/smilies/arghh.gif
      OK it was the choke. Put on all new cable and plunger and she is running 100% again. So now the question is, is the carb getting worn out where the plunger needle goes in the small hole and when I use the choke the needle end doesn't get lined back up with the hole?? We'll see how it runs and now that I know what the issue is I can always pull the choke plunger out and reinstall if I start having this issue again.
    • By Racer944
      Hi Folks;
      Has anybody on here installed a winch on a 2003 Magnum 2x4? I am using a Cycle Country adapter plate (only one I could find), but am having a bit of trouble getting it all to fit properly, and am looking for someone that may have done this install and/or may have some pics of the installation.
      Thanks!
      Eric