Quantcast

Do you wear your ring?

• 1 month later...

I never word a ring when I was a mechanic, but I now wear a silicone ring all the time except on special occasions and then I put my good one on.

At one of the car dealerships I worked at a young guy got married. When he came into the shop after the honeymoon, he had on a gorgeous ring.  I told him to remove it for safety reasons, but he said "I will never take if off because it is a token of the commitment to my wife".  To make a long story short, before the week was out he accidentally grounded a wrench (which was touching his ring) between the terminals of a battery and destroyed the ring and give himself a third degree burn. 

I had a neighbor farmer who pulled the end off his finger when getting his rind caught on a through bolt on the bed of a grain truck when he jumped off the  side.

Ladies and Gentlemen, your spouse would rather you not wear the ring doing certain things than you having no finger to put it on.

• Haha 1

I would suggest to the ladies to leave their engagement rings at home when  out riding . As others have mentioned  it's too easy  to lose the  stone(s) out  of engagement rings,whether you wear gloves or not. Nobody in their right mind wears  rings in the mechanical  and electrical  trades while on the  job , and nobody should wear them  when  doing anything recreationally where there is a  chance of snagging or shorting out their  ring. It's far too easy to end up  with no ring......or finger.

By all  means ,  wear your  rings  socially  but  leave them  home when  out riding or camping.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/25/2012 at 7:33 PM, marioweldinginc said:

I dont wear a wedding ring at all. It was a requirement not to wear one or any jewelry when I was working but then it became habit not to wear it. I do wear it when we go out. My wife doesnt wear one either.

I wore a titanium ring originally because it was a possibility I'd ruin another one easily by getting it squished in just tight enough places I wouldn't worry about my finger but did have to worry about a ring.

On 10/15/2012 at 7:51 PM, mxquadmom said:

When I ride I use to wear my ring but not anymore for 3 different reasons:

#1 - After 18 years of marriage taking my ring off is no biggie :cute:

#2 - The blister/calloused hand I get from riding really hurts

#3 - I always end up damaging/bending the ring if I ride long enough.

1) Yeah, my wife is not insecure about the wedding ring and with her metal allergies often keeps hers off unless we're going out.
2) Same if I end up swinging a hammer a bunch in a day
3) see above reply Î

On 2/24/2019 at 2:55 PM, Frank Angerano said:

Tattoo that thing on. No more worries ! 

Still keeping that in the consideration list for next tattoos on the both of us.

On 1/2/2020 at 11:51 AM, BAMFUPINYA said:

I have a silicone ring that I swap out for the real deal when doing any outdoors activities, working in the garage, etc. Have had a couple close calls with ring avulsion in the past and I like all of my fingers, so silicone rings it is for me. 

This is what I eventually ended up doing. The combination of my new brother in law getting a set for working on their farm and me getting a bit fat and having my original ring start to hurt I just moved entirely to the silicone rings so I keep them on a lot more often now. I also don't worry about losing it when I pull off my glove on a cold day.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

I have been married for 61 years and have not worn my ring for at least 50 years due to my job.  I caught it between a car battery and ground one time and after I recovered from that I restored the ring an started wearing it again. Then I kept getting it caught in the depths of the machines I was working on and nearly lost a finger so I do not wear it. I probably should wear it on a chain around my neck!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Looking for an engagement ring for the gf. However I became paranoid of metal rings since my fathers told me his buddy had the ring caught and lost his finger. No thank you now I’m trying to explain to the gf how I’ll wear a cheap o ring as my wedding band. 100 of them for a few dollars and I don’t have to worry about losing it or a finger.

• 9 months later...

I am an industrial technician which includes electronics, mechanics, and machine work. I no longer wear my ring since I got it between an auto type battery and ground then getting it caught in machinery guts several times, and nearly pulling my finger off a couple of times.  I figured I could leave it off rather not having a finger to wear it on. It is on a chain around my neck when I am not working.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...