Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

bdl1801

87 KLF300 timing issue

I just bored out my 87 Bayou 300 .020 over and installed a new oversized piston and had the valves vacuum checked. With everything back together and after setting timing and cleaning carb I am having a problem with it trying to start. When the engine turns over it will pop as if it is trying to fire off but will not run. I have about 125lb compression I have fire and I sprayed fuel in carb with these it should at least try to run. The only thing I can think of is a timing issue. I have lined the cam sprocket up with klf300 and set accordingly to the to the T mark on the alternator rotor. I have taken it off and double checked it twice I have even set it one camchain link forward and then aft of the correct Top setting at the camsprocket. I have set the valves to spec. When I turn the engine over by hand the valves open and close like they should at the right interval and the piston is at top dead center when aligned with the T mark and cam sprocket are in there right positions. Can I use a timing light when I try to start the engine and check for correct timing? I read something about a timing advance not sure how that works. Is there a sure way to check exactly when the engine fires?

Check the flywheel key, if it sheared off, the flywheel will spin on the shaft and not stay lined up and you will get spark, but it won't be at the right time. To check and see when you are getting spark, pull the plug ground it against the motor and witht he key and kill switch on, turn the motor slowly with a breaker bar and socket by the flywheel nut. Try to keep it steady, it will want to pop a bit when the piston passes TDC on the compression stroke. The plug should fire just before TDC if the timing is right.

The crank key appears to be good and holding its position. I hooked up a timing light and turned it over with starter and the timing fired off at the F mark. I just ohm tested the igniter unit and found it did not meet spec. I figured with a bad igniter unit I would not have spark at all. What exactly does this Igniter unit do?

Edited by bdl1801

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Dra O
      posted a while back - it was running at one point - I have all the plastic shroud off - it's down to frame and engine now
      -fuel pump: when line from petcock is attached, no fuel comes out other side to carb; the line to the carb is open (can blow through it); I thought when I cranked engine that the pump would spit out fuel on other side but it does not; I removed fuel pump and opened it up - diaphragm looks good - but internal areas had lotsa calcification build up - I cleaned this out and dried it good - the clear plastic pieces (?diaphragms) aren't broken - the spring w/ steel ball on end moves freely; am putting it back on tomorrow; but can anyone answer about the pump? isn't it supposed to pump fuel through it... to other side... to carb? puzzling
      -along with fuel pump: I replaced petcock 3 weeks ago (gas tank had rusty fuel in bottom - cleaned it out prior to new petcock); when I turn petcock arrow NOT to on or reserve, fuel comes out of line; when I turn it to on or reserve, fuel doesn't come out; puzzling
      -I don't know what's on back of fuel pump - it's a valve that has a hose coming out of it - looks like it goes to engine/carb - I haven't traced this out yet - what is it?
      -can squirt gas on air filter and engine will run for 2-3 seconds then stop - fuel in top of carb (under diaphragm) does same
      -it likely needs carb rebuild - will get to this - but something isn't allowing fuel to get from fuel pump to carb
      -I THINK it has a mikuni model x carb - diaphragm is ID 26mm  OD 68mm - hard to find inexpensive diaphragm, I guess because it's a model x
      -last thing - I replaced solenoid due to old one clicking; I HAVE to be charging the battery or it won't start/turn over - battery just goes dead; but if charging, it'll turn over nicely; i'm guessing it's a bad battery
      -any help appreciated - I've never owned an ATV before - inherited this beast from grandparent in-law
    • By Arizona
      So a few weeks ago ended up buying a 02 Bayou 300 for 100.00
      Get there to see it and motor was gone through and parts missing, stuff not connected
      and a big freekin bucket of parts and bolts. He said had no power and mechanic said it was
      the wrist pin. Ended up leaving it in pieces and left like that. I end up getting most of it back together
      and manage to get it to fire up. I drive it and has no power! No missing just no power. I figure check 
      the timing chain as he did replace that. Well I spin the motor over and guess what!
      A blind guy could have done a better jobs. Just one question, I  loosen the top bolt on the tensioner then remove it
      right? Nothing is gonna fall inside the motor is it? just making sure, need this out before I can move the cam gear 
      to the right location. Thanks in advance Az

• By zont
      Hi, I have just purchased a 2002 Yamaha Kodiak 400 I think, the vin has worn off and I have located an engine number I think it is J312E-004674, could anyone tell me where the engine number might be please
    • By Gary Skriba
      just got a 99 Kawasaki bayou replace the coil because the spark was very weak still have the same issue before it would start after a while that it would start everyday as long as you started it every day but if you let it set you play hell starting it looking for information on what could possibly be wrong maybe the CDI box not sure any help would greatly be appreciated thank you
    • By thegipper
      Have replaced, Carb, fuel pump, CDI, plug, coil,fuel filter. Will crank but not srt. Getting spark and battery is fully charged 12.6V
      Any suggestions????

Thanks
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By dhallftworth
      Hi everyone, I received a 98 Yamaha Timberwolf from my brother for free, and I'm working on getting it going. 
      I am having the following problem: 
      The engine is backfiring through the carb. 
      I have done the following to try and get the four wheeler running: 
      Rebuilt the carb and set the air screw to 1-1/4 turn out and the circlip at middle position 3
      Replaced the coil, because the cable was loose at the coil end
      Repaired the main ground, coming from the battery
      Replaced the ignition switch, because my brother couldn't find the key. New switch tested good
      Tested the kill switch and it tested good
      New coil tested goodfor both primary and secondary coils
      Pickup coil resistance is at 195, which is correct
      My source coil, is where I believe the issue is. The resistance is 310ohms, and it should be between 428-523ohms
      When I opened the stator housing, there was significant oil, which I have read is normal. Does it sound like I'm on the right track replacing the source coil? Could this be causing my backfiring issue? It looks like the source coil is part of the stator assembly, is this correct? 4BD-85510-20-00 STATOR ASSY
    • By bradleyheathhays
      I'm going to check the valve clearance on my 2011 Grizz 700 for the first time and I'm also wanting to check the timing, but I'm not sure how to do it. What tool (light gun?) do I need for this job and how is it done?
    • By mothrottle
      Hi,
      I'm new to this forum and I hope you can help me out. My '99 Polaris 250 Trail boss does this: shifting in to forward the gears grind a bit. Once in gear the rig wants to immediately move forward. If I don't get to the throttle fast enough, she stalls.If I do, off we go. It happens everytime I shift into gear.Could this be caused by dirt inside the clutch sheaves causing the belt to engage early (before any throttle input)? Or what??? Thanks in advance.
    • By bogman
      Hi, does anyone know where to find the timing marks on the camshaft and how to orient them? I found the line on the crank and lined it up with the arrow on the case, but the only marks I can see on the cam are on the very end where the black plastic cap is. Are these the timing marks and if so how do you line them up?
    • By switch
      I have a really dumb question. My big bear came half apart and I am not sure how the timing chain guide is supposed to sit in there. I have the entire top end cleaned, bored, new piston, gaskets, etc. I do not see anywhere in any manual or thread where it shows how the chain guide is installed or held on place????? Also should it be the same height as the other side???