Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

DPDISXR4Ti

2003 Kodiak Leaking fuel from drain hose at bottom of carb

I hadn't driven my Kodiak for a two months, and since it was low on fuel, the first thing I did was filled it up to maybe 7/8 full. Getting ready to start it, I rotated the fuel selector switch to "on" and within seconds I smelled and saw fuel dripping onto the floor. I quickly turned it off and the fuel gradually stopped - I can repeat this.

The fuel is flowing from the hose that is connected to the bottom of the carb, and routes around to the left side toward the wheel well. Any idea what's going on here? It ran fine the last time I had it out.

Thanks...

over time cracks could have formed in the hose line and once you turned the fuel "on" the gas found a place were it could start dripping...i would recommend going to an auto parts store and picking up new hose and just replace it...should be an easy/cheap fix

over time cracks could have formed in the hose line

It's not an issue of fuel leaking through and/or around the hose. The hose is functioning perfectly fine to carry the fuel out.

I guess a more basic question might be, what is the purpose of that hose at the bottom of the carb, and what does it mean if fuel is pouring out of it as soon as I turn the selector to "on"?

hmm i gotta think about that one..

It could be a vent line..OR it could be the carb drain plug hose...all/most carbs come with nozzle on the bottom of them so you can drain old gas that has been sitting..

Check and see where the hose connects to the carb is there a screw where the connect??

Edited by outlander560

it could be the carb drain plug hose...all/most carbs come with nozzle on the bottom of them so you can drain old gas that has been sitting..

Check and see where the hose connects to the carb is there a screw where the connect??

Yes, see the pics below. The small black hose is directly below the screw in the middle of the picture. The second pic shows where it drains out in the front-left wheel wheel.

Could the problem be as simple as that screw having backed out?

P5170809.jpg

P5170812.jpg

P5170809.jpg.a89370fa20af164cf9276b6c12426e3d.jpg

P5170812.jpg.2efc887a611bcd8eefcf42537bdfad9f.jpg

I think your float is stuck. Try taking the carb apart and cleaning it. Pay special attention to the float stopper and seat. Look for any debris inside the carb, if you find any, clean it out real good and get rid of the gas that is in it.

DirtDemon sounds like he nailed it. Looks like the fuel bowl overflow tube that we have on Harley carbs. Clean up the carb and see if the problem persists. If it does, you'll probably need to find out what kind of carb you have there and get some sort of manual for it to see what would cause fuel to flow out of that hose.

I think your float is stuck.

Well, I have verified that the screw for the drain is not loose, so your idea of the float being stuck does seem all the more likely.

Any chance that lightly rapping the carb with a small mallet might "un-stick" the float? Is this at all a common occurrance?

A sticking float is a somewhat common occurence, tapping on the side of the carb may spring it free, but the most common cause of a sticky float is debris stuck in the needle valve or seat. If tapping on it works, cool, if the problem comes back, I would at least take the float bowl off and take a look inside. If you see any hardened fuel deposits, then I would advise taking the carb COMPLETELY apart and cleaning it thoroughly.

Seeing as how I was having some warm idle issues any way (had to leave it choked just a hair), I'll probably just pull the whole thing off and clean it up. I'm mechanically inclined enough that I'm not too concerned about doing that, but most of my experience is with fuel-injected automobile engines. Anything in particular I should be concerned with here?

When you are removing the float bowl, watch for the pin that holds the float in place, they like to fall out sometimes as you are removing the bowl. Although, on some carbs, the pin has a slight interference fit and must be pushed out. Other than that, just don't lose anything and make sure that all passages and jets are clear. Wouldn't be a bad idea to inspect the gaskets and seals and look for anything that looks worn.

Just an update... I've finally gotten around to removing the carb entirely - took out the four screws that fasten the reservoir - everything looks clean, but that's about all I can say as I don't really know what I'm looking for. Is it as simple as the float having gotten hung up on the brass pin that comes up out of the bottom of the reservoir?

I've heard there may be an update for this carb - anyone know if this is true?

I've got a Grizzly in my garage that has the same issue. I think it 's the petcock valve that's bad.

* Removed your other thread on this.

I've got a Grizzly in my garage that has the same issue. I think it 's the petcock valve that's bad.

No, that's working fine I think - it SHOULD allow fuel to flow to the carb as soon as I rotate it 90 degrees. Well, it's doing that just fine. :laugh:

I think it can only be one of two things:

1) The float itself got hung up in the down position and thus kept letting fuel flow into the bowl (and then out the overflow)

2) The valve that is directly actuated by the float got stuck in the down position - see #1 above - same idea. Wait, maybe that's the petcock valve you're referring to?

Any way, blowing on the fuel inlet now while I rotate the float up and down, everything seems to be working fine, so I guess I'll just bolt everything back up. I'm thinking if this happens again, I might be able to "fix" this by simply removing the fuel line and applying a vacumm with my Mity-vac.

P.S. Thanks for deleting the dup thread.

Just to close the loop on this thread, all back together and running fine again. I thoroughly sprayed the float mechanism and all the little needle holes with carb cleaner, reassembled, and all good now. Still not too sure what got the float valve hung in the down position, but that's what must have happened.

Hopefully the problem doesn't reappear in the middle of a snowstrom. :mad:

My two cents worth or for whatever it's worth, I have found on my 2004 Yamaha Kodiak 400 YFM400A automatic that over time the needle valve will corrode inside the seat causing the needle valve to even get stuck inside the seat both open and closed. What it amounts to is the raised ribs on the side of the needle valve corrodes where they rub against the seats wall. Once this corrosion occurs both the rib or ribs of the needle valve and the wall of the seat will become permanently scarred which in turn will lead to poor movement or no movement at all of the needle valve inside the seat. Hope This Helps!

Mine does the same thing. A little tap on the side of the carb, and it stops, for a while. I turn the gas off as soon as I kill the motor. I ordered a rebuild kit, so it's tear down time this weekend. It's after deer hunting season, so it's time for the yearly tune up anyway. I usually run the carb dry when done ridding. I found out that the fuel petcock had a slow leak. after about a day, it would start to drip, again. I finally started pulling the fuel line and putting a plug on it. Pain it the butt, but it stopped the fuel leak, fire hazard, and constant gas smell.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.