Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

RAPTOR 700 or HONDA 450R?????????

This may be too little and too late if you have already picked up that Raptor. But here is my two cents anyways. First off, I agree that $4900 is too much for a used machine in this market. You can find unsold '09's and '08's and even some leftover new '07s if you look hard enough. The deals you can get on these leftover brand new machines are incredible. Here is my opinion ot the two machines you are looking at.

The Raptor is going to be the more versitile of the two, it will have a higer top speed, power is smooth and predictable, and they have a ton of torque. The TRX, is lighter, better handling, more agile and has a quicker more race oriented motor. It is more of a high performance/race oriented machine than the Raptor. My personal choice between the 2 would be the TRX, because I am a rider who wants to squeeze every drop of perfomance out of my ride. If you plan to tow or haul any significant weight, then go with the Raptor, it has the torque needed for extra loads.

Edited by DirtDemon

no I wont be haulling enything..its just to go back and forth to the farm, and sometimes go for rides in small sand pits and farmer fields...thank you for your time!! and I havent thought of looking for ''new'' quads like that...Imma check out my local yamaha dealer, THANKS MAN!!!

I would check out as many dealers as you can, you may find the best deal on a machine that you haven't yet considered. For instance, the Kawi 450 has reverse, which is another thinkg that the Raptor has over the TRX. The Kawi is a good bike, it is fuel injected like the Raptor, has reverse, and is quick and nimble like the TRX. The Yamaha 450 is a fantastic machine as well. I would keep my options open, there are alot of good deals to be had. The only drawback to buying new, is that you usually can't test ride it, but you should atleast sit on everthing and see what feels most comfy, that may be what infuences your final decision.

Edited by DirtDemon

the guy i used to work with had a 2006 or 2005..not sure..raptor 660 and once he let me try it, I dint think it had much power,,,I get out of the yard with it and I pin it...the wheels went straight up in the air,scared the sh** out of me, I hit around 115 with it, he said it goes abit faster then that...since that, I love raptors..thats why I want to get one so bad!! lol. plus I the raptor I wanna get in only like a 5min drive, so its easier then going on the internet and look for one thats 2-3-4 hours away...thanks enyways man :D

When you say 115, I assume that's km/h not mph. The Raptor is a good machine, since you already know you like them, I guess it would be a logical choice for you. I would still recommend riding some other quads if you get a chance, you could always go test ride some used ones that people close to you are selling. You may find something you like better, or you may decide that the Raptor is definately your fave. Whatever your decision, I hope you are happy with it.

Edited by DirtDemon

Have you checked out a honda 700 ? I went from a 450r to a 700xx and i love it, stock to stock it owns my buddys craptor 700, the rappy has a little more bottom end i think, but i pull on him hard in 4th-5th and my ground clearance is about 11" so he has to go around alot of stuff, he actually snapped his skidplate a few tomes already, i just have stock skidplates and i dont even drag anywhere, pretty cool machines man and they can be had for very, very cheap becuase people dont understand or give themselves a chance to get used to the irs which is slightly different cornering than a solid rear axle atv...with a few small improvements like front shocks, handlebars, razr tires, a pipe and power commander, the honda 700xx is one of the best all-around atvs i have ever ridden, hands down...it is at hiome track, trail or with the 4x4s in mud, ruts, rocks, desert, dunes, etc...also one hell of alot more reliable, heck it won the baja 1000 past 3 years in a row, you wont see a raptor doing that i bet !!!

Anyhow, some like the raptors better, but the honda is an amzing all-around atv, the raptor is more of a drag atv imo

best of luck in your decision, i'm sure you will be pleased with either !!!

RE: FOOLIO - I dont care what people say yamaha is better and always will be....f**k honda

its all about raptor 700r

you're out of your mind man, you wouldnt catch me on the street or the trails with a craptor 700r. A banshee,or yfz450r, yes, but a craptor, NOPE, i know a zillion people who blew them up and the power they have is just not impressive at all. also yamaha in general is better ? yeah right, a streetbike, sure yamha r6 and r1s are amazing, 4x4s, yeah grizzlies are the shiznit, but raptors, nah.. i'm a yamaha guy, i have built more banshees than most people will even see in thier lives and it is my favorite atv, but even i will admit nothing runs as long as a honda and none of the transmissions are as smooth. I have a 1979 honda atc110, never rebuilt, just new brakes, tires and oil changes, it was my grandfathers, my dads and now mine, i want you to find a 1979 yamaha that still runs, haha...fat chance...you simply have to admit industry leading reliability, its a proven fact, if you cant open your eyes to that, well then you're just ignorant...

and yeah, if you ever want to race, well bring it on down to nc and we'll party man, i have street and dirt, either way, like i said unless you have internal engine mods, you dont stand a chance...

YEA DREAM ON BUDDY.......IM NOT EVEN GONNA WASTE MY TIME TYPING :lsfight:

I wouldnt either, the first reviews of the honda in 08 suked, but now that it has proven itself, guess what...haha, more and more are chosing it over the raptor, i was even skeptical at first, but after i rode it...WOW And the first time i raced was on the street vs a raptor 700 and a ltz 450, i burned them both at the top of 4th shifting into 5th and never looked back...

I don't really like the Raptors, any of them, but I don't think they are a bad machine, just not my cup of tea. The 660 and 700 are a bit awkward at first if you aren't used to how high they sit, but you get used to it. I have ridden plenty of them, while I still don't prefer one, I can still have a blast on one. They handle well, they do have alot of power, it's just so smooth it's deceptive. The motor isn't racy so you don't feel the pull as much IMO, but before you know it, you're hauling as*. I tend to prefer the 450's because of the racier motors and they "feel" faster to me, more of a rush. Plus, they are more nimble and race oriented. For the record, I am sure that the 700xx is a great machine, it is no coincidence that it has one so many desert races, but my money would be on the Raptor in a drag race, stock vs. stock. The motors are probably comparable in power, but the Honda is just a little too heavy to win if both riders are of equall skill. Of course, I can't say for sure, because I have never ridden a 700xx. I have seen some great prices on them though, dealer by my is selling one for $4700.

In no way shape or form is the 700 a nimble machine that excells in tight conditions. They are only good for open spaces.

If the Raptor is so much better than the Honda, where are all the Raptor's big race trophies? When is the last time that Yamaha brought home a Baja 1000 win?

The Raptor is too big for tight trail riding(just look how many do good in GNCC, I've never seen one) And it can't touch Honda in desert racing(the only racing I care about)

I respectfully disagree, while I don't find the Raptor to be as nimble as any 450, I do think that they make an excellent trail machine. Mostly because of the massive torque curve that makes it easy to lug the motor in tight conditions and not have to shift as much. Keep in mind, this opinion comes from someone that rides an LT-R primarily in the woods, and atmosphere for which it is definately not best suited. Also keep in mind, I don't like Raptors much at all, but I think they are a good machine, however I also believe overrated and just not my personal preference.

Wow, Foolio, I must say that was completely inappropriate (yes, I can go in and read the deleted post), and for the record, you definately stepped out of line first with your "f**k Honda it's all about the Raptor 700R" comment. Which, by the way only supports Stoopidbots theory about Raptor owners. This thread was not started for the purpose of brand bashing or making malicious insults toward people. Someone simply wanted some input because they were trying to decide what kind of machine they want to buy. There is never any need to be like that man, we are all here for the same reason, we all share a common hobby, lets not make enemies out of a silly difference in preference.